Confirmed with Link: Clarke MacArthur signs 5 year contract

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Murray sounds like he always does.

The term is too long for sure, Mac is basically a third liner on an elite team and if this team starts improving and he gets pushed down the lineup, yikes.

I guess it' s a Murray signing, guy says he wants to be here and he just says yes and overpays somehow. Hopefully Mac produces 50-70 points a year and is consistent...
Where's the overpayment. A million dollar raise? 1 million dollar raise. That's it. I'm surprised we locked him up for that.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Very good contract. I see it as a fair contract - MacArthur gets a nice lengthy term and we get a bit of a bargain on price. A win win. Really happy this worked out.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
MacArthur/Puempel/Hoffman/Michalek/etc. is some of the best LW depth we've ever had.

I also like Guptill and Paul potential. And let's not forget Prince just yet

What is cool is that Ryan and Chiasson (and Smith) can also play LW

He needed some sort of a raise. C'mon now.

And his raise only kick in next year...

55 pts (participated in 24% of the goals last season*) for a guy who took 5.05% of the cap in 2013-14 and who will take 4.71% of the cap this upcoming season. To put things in perspective, with a 69 millions cap, you could afford to sign 23 players to a 3 millions contract per year. MacArthur makes 3.25 this year.

If the cap is only 1 million more next year (70), MacArthur will represent 6.64% of the cap

Finally, if MacA plays all the 5 years with the Sens, his cap hit over the 7 years length would have been 4 250 000$ per year... In 6 years, the cap could easily be 78 millions, which would be the double of the 2005-06 cap. 4 250 000$ in 2005-06 would be like 2 125 000$ in 2020 (same as Chris Kelly contract from 08-09 to 11-12)

* In comparison, Spezza took 10.88% of the cap (a bit more than the double of Mac) and participated in 28.8% of the goals scored. However he played 4 less games.

Greening him, only took 1.27% of the cap and participated in 7.42% of the goals scored in 2013-14. However if he doesn't produce more this year (as he will take 3.84% of the cap), he will be considered overpaid.

lol I know many already consider him overpaid already but we're all a bunch of Nostradamus's around here, no?

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
For anyone who thinks he got overpaid, just think of it as a counter balance to his bargain basement contract of last year. Look at it as if he had signed a 7 year contract last year at $4.25M per year. I doubt there would have been too many naysayers. And anyway the way things are going, in 3-4 years from now this will be considered a bargain. Added bonus, Carlyle is not his coach.

As for the budget, maybe people will start believing Melnyk when he said he would pay when the time is right, but won't pay just for the sake of paying.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Maybe it's a year or two long, but it's a very reasonable cap hit, have to give to get.

I'm happy with this deal.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He's definitely a first or second liner for the Sens in a contract year. We'll see what he is now that he has security.

Atleast we know he works hard all the time. That isn't going to change and this should help in the contract talks with Ryan. They are tight.

Cant believe anyone is upset about this deal, he is exactly the type of player this organization needs. At 4.6 million its a great contract for this team.

King EK65

#KuldaApproved
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
Woohoo! Great news!

amy-poehler-dancing-in-space.gif

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
He's pretty much the perfect hockey player. I honestly don't think he made a single mistake until somewhere around the 8th game of the season. Even if his production drops he's worth every single penny.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
He had some good things to say about management and the city of Ottawa. Whether he is lying or not is up to you, but maybe some people can chill a bit when it comes to management.

It's always been said the Sens management and Eugene treat the talent very well.

Everyone else, get back to work!

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
probably shouldn't have got out of bed at all...
There's morning rainclouds at my window and I can't see at all.

That said, I'm OK with this signing. Maybe a year too long but you got to give to get and that's probably what Murray caved on to sign him that reasonably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad