CIS Recruiting 2013-14

HockeySchools

May 17, 2012
Hearing F Ben Duffy has chosen to pursue his studies at UNB next season. QMJHL Points leader this season (110 pts.)

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
His 2 choices were Acadia and UNB. He was leaning towards Acadia but "was going to follow advice of his agent and parents" His agent didn't get him a tryout anywhere and I would think his family would like him in Acadia as they live in the Halifax area.
If Culligan comes back, and I think he is, he will be playing behind him and possibly Braes as well unless he plays the wing.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
His 2 choices were Acadia and UNB. He was leaning towards Acadia but "was going to follow advice of his agent and parents" His agent didn't get him a tryout anywhere and I would think his family would like him in Acadia as they live in the Halifax area.
If Culligan comes back, and I think he is, he will be playing behind him and possibly Braes as well unless he plays the wing.

Culligan is coming back for 2013.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I would think that going back for a 5th year doesn't necessarily mean that a player didn't have any pro offers!

To show how things have changed in the last 10 years, a player who is 6 feet tall and 195 lbs can still be considered small despite how he plays in the corners.

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
I would think that going back for a 5th year doesn't necessarily mean that a player didn't have any pro offers!

To show how things have changed in the last 10 years, a player who is 6 feet tall and 195 lbs can still be considered small despite how he plays in the corners.

Still mad over Pridham I see.

Not at all, well done I say. Finding a way to stay ahead of the curve is a testament to why they are so successful!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
He's not AHL caliber and he'd be a fool to go to the ECHL. Don't forget that he wasn't drafted by anyone. His draft year numbers weren't exactly stellar. His skating is not at a pro level and his lack of physical size is also a factor.

STUTOMMIES

Jul 23, 2008
Fredericton
He's not AHL caliber and he'd be a fool to go to the ECHL. Don't forget that he wasn't drafted by anyone. His draft year numbers weren't exactly stellar. His skating is not at a pro level and his lack of physical size is also a factor.

What about Currie AUS Fan? Does his game translate better to pro? That could be quite a duo if they stay together for Uni hockey.

STUTOMMIES

Jul 23, 2008
Fredericton
I also see on Eliteprospects that Ben Breault has signed with a French team next year. He is a good player, Dal will miss that punch in their line up.

Straight from the rumour mill, Yuri Chermetiev and Christian Morin will not be back with STU this fall. They have been "released". Kyle Hennigan will remain with the team but not in a playing capacity. The only fourth year player - and left over from Coach Eagles days - will be Randy Cameron.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
What about Currie AUS Fan? Does his game translate better to pro? That could be quite a duo if they stay together for Uni hockey.

I think Currie would have a better chance at Pro than Ben. Not the scoring touch as Duffy but I think his game is a bit more well rounded overall. Not a knock on Duffy; I know him and he is a great person and a good hockey player. After 3-4 years in the AUS he may well end up in the AHL.

Ched

Fueled by Passion
Jun 21, 2010
Manitoba adds another experienced forward

Taylor Dickin, former MVP of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League and rather large and skilled left winger who played two seasons for UND Fighting Sioux, will be playing with the Bisons this coming year after sitting out the obligatory season.

http://gobisons.ca/index.php?page=news&id=2859

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
UBC looks to be on its way to another successful recruiting season with Wes Vannieuwenhuizen (try saying that three times quickly) and Greg Frazer.

http://gothunderbirds.ca/news/2013/4/24/ICEM_0424134541.aspx

last year they added some stellar talent in Manning, Antilla, Hoban, Wagner and Smith.

Sucks about Vannieuwenhuizen. He wanted to come to RMC as a cadet but I guess he didn't get an offer from the school when they went out. He emailed and called us to come as well. Would have played 30 minutes for us on our top pairing with Alex Pym.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
UBC looks to be on its way to another successful recruiting season with Wes Vannieuwenhuizen (try saying that three times quickly) and Greg Frazer.

I'd love to hear what the equipment manager thinks about this one. He's gonna need to find a really big uniform just for the name alone.

Cishockeyguy

Feb 23, 2013
Born Feb. 20, 1989

09/10 Major Junior - ends season at age 21

10/11 Pro (ends season at age 22)
10/11 Playing after Jan. 14 consumes 1 year of eligibility

11/12 Pro (ends season at age 23)
11/12 Playing after Jan. 14 consumes 1 year of eligibility

12/13 Pro for 5 games ending Oct. 12st
12/13 Did not play after Jan. 15 so does not lose a year of eligibility

My initial feeling is 3 years of eligibility are left and his first game must by 365 days from that last ECHL game (he can play after Oct. 21 2013).

The school's CIS Eligibility officer should be able to tell him for sure if it's 2 or 3. At least 2.

Adam Courchaine will only have 2 years eligibility left. From what I have heard, he has committed to Ryerson

CanWestFan

Mar 19, 2011
Mount Royal will gain some fire power as former U of C Dino Tyler Fiddler has joined the team (as his twitter account indicates) He did not return to the U of C after Christmas this season (anyone know why?? He was one of their top forwards and goal scores).

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
I also see on Eliteprospects that Ben Breault has signed with a French team next year. He is a good player, Dal will miss that punch in their line up.

Straight from the rumour mill, Yuri Chermetiev and Christian Morin will not be back with STU this fall. They have been "released". Kyle Hennigan will remain with the team but not in a playing capacity. The only fourth year player - and left over from Coach Eagles days - will be Randy Cameron.

When you say "released" do you mean Coach Ryan informed them they will not have a spot on the team next year, or they have been told they are free to pursue other opportunities if they wish.

If Ryan has asked or told them they wont play for STU next year I can respect Ryan for this, as in he wants to rid the program of former blood or bad habits from the Eagles days. On the other hand I have a hard time picturing this cause of how small STU's roster was last year, and with the announced players that have or may be leaving including graduation, it would seem the Tommies almost have a near impossible amount of recruits to add to just fill out their roster regardless of the talent filling the shoes.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
F Mike Schug from the Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL) has committed to Queen's. Mike is a 20 year old native of Sault St. Marie. He Played in 138 Reg Season games amassing 92pts. He also appeared in 52 playoff games for the Voyageurs in 3 years. Mike was twice the winner of the Iron Man Award and also the 2012-2013 recipient of the Rosen Family Community award which is given to the player most involved in the community and was Team Captain. And I worked with Schug all season with the Vees and he is by far one of the best captains and people I've had the pleasure of coaching. He will be a character guy with The Gaels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad