CIS Recruiting 2013-14

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Kingston Frontenacs G Mike Morrison has commited to Waterloo. Morrison has 150-plus games of OHL experience over five years with three teams (Kitchener, Peterborough, Kingston), and attended the LA Kings rookie camp in 2011. He'll fill the roster spot vacated by the graduating Keaton Hartigan.
Full release: http://www.varsity.uwaterloo.ca/news/2013/4/29/MHOCKEY_0429131154.aspx

Really solid pickup for Waterloo. There are a number of 92 and 93 goaltenders. Morrison is one of the top ones. I was really hoping Laurier would pick him up to replace Ryan Daniels. Timing for him and Waterloo is perfect though, a team fresh off a U-Cup berth and requiring a starting goaltender.

STUTOMMIES

Jul 23, 2008
Fredericton
When you say "released" do you mean Coach Ryan informed them they will not have a spot on the team next year, or they have been told they are free to pursue other opportunities if they wish.

If Ryan has asked or told them they wont play for STU next year I can respect Ryan for this, as in he wants to rid the program of former blood or bad habits from the Eagles days. On the other hand I have a hard time picturing this cause of how small STU's roster was last year, and with the announced players that have or may be leaving including graduation, it would seem the Tommies almost have a near impossible amount of recruits to add to just fill out their roster regardless of the talent filling the shoes.

I think they were told to look for other opportunities. Probably because their playing style didn't fit with the coaches.

Coach Ryan will have many skates to fill for sure and it won't be easy. Is he going to get enough talent to do the trick? Probably not but he had a total rebuild to do and he is doing what is needed.

My thoughts are get the best Major Junior talent you can with guys that will go to war with you every night to win. Pick up Jr A. guys that may not have as much talent but have heart like MacDonald, Zandbeek, and Thomas. You won't win every game but the program will benefit moving forward.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
@MLalancette 4 min
Allain et Alex Saulnier ainsi que Pierre Durepos poursuivront leur carrière avec les Aigles Bleus de l'Université de Moncton.

Saulnier twins and Durepos to UNB

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Saulnier twins and Durepos to UNB

Let's not get all the V-Reds fans excited. They're coming to U de M. Press conference was this morning.

It's been official for a little bit now, just they didn't want it announced too early. There was a press conference this morning for all sports teams to announce their recruits but the big news was the 3 additions to Les Aigles for sure. Here are some pretty bad pictures from my Playbook, I was standing at the back of the room and couldn't be bothered moving up. Durepos will wear #5, Alex will wear #14 and Allain will wear #28.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
Winger Mathieu Guertin who played with Val d'Or and Drummondville before playing his 20 yr old season in Whitecourt AB of the AJHL where he scored 95 points has committed to Univ of Ottawa GeeGees

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
With Duffy/Saulniers/Durepos deciding to go the CIS route...is it fair to say that we are going to start seeing more and more top-end overagers decide to pursue their education rather than go the ECHL/CHL route?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Let's not get all the V-Reds fans excited. They're coming to U de M. Press conference was this morning.

It's been official for a little bit now, just they didn't want it announced too early. There was a press conference this morning for all sports teams to announce their recruits but the big news was the 3 additions to Les Aigles for sure. Here are some pretty bad pictures from my Playbook, I was standing at the back of the room and couldn't be bothered moving up. Durepos will wear #5, Alex will wear #14 and Allain will wear #28.

Excellent news for the program. While obviously this makes the team better there should be more excitement in Moncton about the team with the addition of the Saulnier twins. Hope to see some full stands when UNB visits next season.

HockeySchools

May 17, 2012
F's Brandon Hynes and Brendan Ranford reportedly committed to UNB. 58 goals and 167 points between the 2 this season in Bathurst/Val D'or (Hynes) and Kamloops (Ranford).

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
F's Brandon Hynes and Brendan Ranford reportedly committed to UNB. 58 goals and 167 points between the 2 this season in Bathurst/Val D'or (Hynes) and Kamloops (Ranford).

If true, those two look like they will be big additions. Hynes has had seasons of 75/67/86/76 points the last 4 years (every one over a PPG) and Ranford has 65/86/92/87 the last 4.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Lots of offensive Talent in those recruits for the VReds, but Size is a concern. As long as you surround them with players such as Mike Thomas etc and don't fill your roster entirely of talented guys but in the 5"8 to 5"10 range.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Lots of offensive Talent in those recruits for the VReds, but Size is a concern. As long as you surround them with players such as Mike Thomas etc and don't fill your roster entirely of talented guys but in the 5"8 to 5"10 range.

Speaking of Mike Thomas, can someone put his style of play and what we can expect of him into words. I know who he is and I know he was captain of the Seadogs and I know he was a well liked guy by his teammates, but ive never actually watched him play. What makes Thomas a forward who does not really put up any kind of offensive numbers the type of player that was giving the chance in the AHL right away, does he play a huge physical game?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
If true, those two look like they will be big additions. Hynes has had seasons of 75/67/86/76 points the last 4 years (every one over a PPG) and Ranford has 65/86/92/87 the last 4.

Don`t be seduced by numbers. You guys had an almost PPG guy who got 6 points in 12 games. But, these numbers are impressive, for sure.

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
Just because someone on this Board says a player is coming to UNB - doesnt mean it will ever happen!

Murray has posted he is coming on Twitter.

All the others - simply speculation at this stage.

No doubt players that UNB - and other teams - have talked with. But with the dog-eat-dog recruiting, and some of those kids still aspiring for a pro contract, who knows come September!

Mike Thomas is a physical presence with strong leadership skills. Responsible positionally. He is not here to score 20 goals.

Cishockeyguy

Feb 23, 2013
2 more commitments from WHL players. Kendall McFaull Moose Jaw Warriors is heading to U of S and Anthony Bardaro Prince Albert Raiders is going to UBC. Also hearing Brandon Scott will not be attending Ryerson next. These are rumours I heard today but no confirmation at this time..

Cishockeyguy

Feb 23, 2013
Kendall played 2 games in AHL and probably figure CIS is better route at this time. He is a good student and wants to study Engineering so going to U Of S makes perfect sense as he can stay close to home. Good Player, better Person. Great get by U of S

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Cedrick Henley (Val-d'Or) has chosen to report to the UQTR Patriotes. Big pickup as he had offers from the AHL.

Jérémie Malouin (Drummondville) will also do the same. His brother, Derek, joined the Patriotes this year after three seasons in Lakehead and will start playing next year.

http://www.lechodetroisrivieres.ca/2013/05/07/lessard-et-petit-en-route-pour-lhexagone

As for D-man Gabriel Vermette (Drummondville), he will be playing with Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad