Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Omaha have shown interest in NHL expansion

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
A bit OT, but I always laugh when Calgary folk complain about the Saddledome. Sure it might be old and dingy, but at least it's on a massive plot of land, in a prime location, the concourse is huge, parking is plenty, and it's right next to a train station. I'd take that dumpy rink over the "fancy" one in Winnipeg anytime.
I miss the days when 50 years was the *minimum* you were hoping your building would last.....

***Disclaimer: those days may well have never existed but I still miss them!

Reactions: JKG33

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
When was the last time you were in there? It was cramped in 2011 but since they have renovated it over the years to make the front lobby area part of the ticketed space, and added the lounge deck plus the bars in the SE/SW corners, and more recently converted the old Moxie's space into additional concourse area it feels way less cramped on all levels. They have added a considerable amount of concourse space and it shows. There's nothing wrong with it.
This Saturday vs the Pens. I went to one earlier in the year vs Dallas and it didn't feel awful, but attendance also wasn't great for that one. For the Dallas game I'd agree with your sentiment.

But this game vs the Pens? Brutal. My buddy with partial season tix said this was the fullest the arenas been all year, and the concourse was just as jam packed as it was before all these renovations.

Not a good look when your arena is the smallest pro rink in the league and can't handle that capacity

I miss the days when 50 years was the *minimum* you were hoping your building would last.....

***Disclaimer: those days may well have never existed but I still miss them!
No disagreement from me there.

I look at something like the ACC in Toronto. Built a few years before the one in Winnipeg, but they did it right and it's aged gracefully. Huge arena right downtown, it actually feels like the big leagues and you have room to walk at intermission.

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
(a)nd you have room to walk at intermission.
Big underrated factor for me. The Braves got rave business reviews for building Suntrust/Truist and while I know their target audience loves it (and I am not that target audience), I hate how narrow the concourses are compared to Turner.

Reactions: JKG33

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
And if they were truly equal then the 30-year drought without a Canadian team winning it would not be a thing.
My Flyers haven't won since I was -8 years old, and I don't see anyone suggesting we should get gifted an easier road than the Penguins. Teams have equality, as every team has to win the same number of rounds, against the same number of opponents to make the Cup finals. They have access to the same resources, and the same opportunities, but they don't have the tools necessary to take equal advantage of those things. They don't have equity, because some teams are run by sentient jars of mayonnaise, and others by people with actual brains, but the responsibility of the league isn't to ensure equity. If it was, the Flyers would have received compensation for having had to put up with Chuck Fletcher.

• Haha
Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad