Rumor: Chychrun has Soured on Ottawa, Unlikely to Extend

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Realistically how good is he at this point? Didn’t catch many Sens games this year.
He can definitely be better than he showed in Ottawa but he was very mediocre during his stint. Not physical, not a good (or at least not a committed) defender, not really good on the outlets/transition... excellent shot, though.

I would put his play a slight cut above Brannstrom's this season and clearly below Sanderson, Zub & Chabot. With a good defensive partner he should be able to form a pretty good 2nd pairing.

Reactions: Laus723

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Because his value tanked this year. If they trade him it’s probably to a playoff team so late first. Nobody is giving up a top ~12 pick in this draft for him.
So mid-round ish. I can deal with that and a prospect. He's good, he's much softer than I thought he was though.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Ottawa is such a meh city to live in. Especially if you're a young millionaire and from Florida. I didn't expect this relationship to last long but this is shorter than expected. Hopefully the sens can get some decent assets back. But i don't blame him at all. Spent two years working in Ottawa on a contract and I could never bring myself to go back there to live long term.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Ottawa is such a meh city to live in. Especially if you're a young millionaire and from Florida. I didn't expect this relationship to last long but this is shorter than expected. Hopefully the sens can get some decent assets back. But i don't blame him at all. Spent two years working in Ottawa on a contract and I could never bring myself to go back there to live long term.
man sounds like an awful two years. Glad you could find a city that matched your vibrant personality better.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Lose a 7th overall, a 12th overall and two seconds for DeBrincat and Chychrun only to see no playoffs games and no long-term contracts. And on top of that, they're losing a 1st because they couldn't be bothered to notify a team of a player's NTC.

I love this team.

man sounds like an awful two years. Glad you could find a city that matched your vibrant personality better.

Ottawa is alright but if you've got the money and the choice, why Ottawa?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Don’t think he cares about that, since has a cottage 25 minutes away, spends his summers here, and his sister and grandparents live here.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Feels like a Carolina move to me. Skjei is probably going to get a huge payday, so they can replace his production with a guy making even less.

Also fills the Anthony DeAngelo "rehabilitate this guy with questionable character" role - although his is only being unhappy losing.

Reactions: bh53

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
We're gonna' get an off-season of Chychrun trade proposals, aren't we?

0d43edf7-8163-4422-8a20-ffa79a9ebc3b_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: bh53 and NyQuil

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Everyday location snobs are the worst. I highly doubt that poster is a millionaire playboy who picks where he wants to work. Likely pays $2700/month rent for an apartment in toronto.

Maybe but I'm not sure what's so controversial about what he's said. Clearly some cities are more fun/desirable than others and even if I think Ottawa being crappy is a bit of meme, it would still clearly fall very low among NHL cities.

If he didn't like Ottawa, he didn't like Ottawa. Doesn't sound like it's actually the player's problem given he seemed pretty excited when he first got there.

Reactions: SquidNasty

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Maybe but I'm not sure what's so controversial about what he's said. Clearly some cities are more fun/desirable than others and even if I think Ottawa being crappy is a bit of meme, it would still clearly fall very low among NHL cities.
"I could never bring myself to live there"

The city has a population of over 1 million people. Who the f*** exactly are you?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The team, the room, the city... I don't think any of these are the reason for his tepid response. It's all about fit.

Ottawa already has everything that Chychrun brings. The only thing that he does exceptionally well is goal-scoring, but Chabot & Sanderson are both very good, capable goal scorers. Transition play, defending, physicality, pinching, creating space for his teammates in the offensive zone, there are multiple guys on the team who do these things better than him.

That doesn't mean he can't be a really useful player... but the things he does best are things that we have a lot of, and the things he doesn't do well are the things that we desperately need. In order for him to play a really meaningful role, he will need to become something he's not.

So why stay? And why would the team even want you (or at least value you super highly)?
Don’t think he cares about that, since has a cottage 25 minutes away, spends his summers here, and his sister and grandparents live here.
Chychrun is so Ottawa valley it hurts lol. It's pretty easy to picture him paddling a canoe on a big, natural lake or skiing the world-renowned ski trails of Gatineau park, with a lip packed fat with raw veal liver

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Lose a 7th overall, a 12th overall and two seconds for DeBrincat and Chychrun only to see no playoffs games and no long-term contracts. And on top of that, they're losing a 1st because they couldn't be bothered to notify a team of a player's NTC.

I love this team.

Ottawa is alright but if you've got the money and the choice, why Ottawa?
You're like a parrot with tourettes.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
So if someone was going to give you 6ish million a year to live their you would turn it down?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yep, but everyone knew about it, no excuse Vegas didn’t, takes 2 minutes to check.
For all we know, they asked, but that doesn't even matter.

It was the Senators responsibility to know about the NTC and abide by the clauses within the contract. If they didn't, that fault was on their side, 100%. It wasn't Vegas' responsibility to go and check a fan site to see if their information aligned with the information they were getting from the team they are trading with.

How ridiculous does this sound?

GM - "Hey Assistant GM, we've got this trade almost done with the "insert team name", can you go check CapFriendly to make sure that this organization with people employed to be experts on the contracts they have with their players, and who is responsible for disclosing the deals of their contracts, isn't making a mistake here?"

The thought that a team should HAVE to check CapFriendly to double check the information they are getting from another team is purely ludicrous.

Reactions: JKG33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad