Movies: Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Well, he hasn't done a biopic yet so I guess we'll see if he can switch it up.

(intersperses scene of bomb dropping very slowly with scenes of Oppenheimer growing up, going to school, learning physics)

(as scientists get together debating the Manhatten Project, bomb is still dropping throughout the entire movie)

I'm a huge Nolan fan so i'm personally really excited about this one. I love the topic and I trust Nolan to handle it with care

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It'll be cool to see Nolan handle something at a slower pace. We haven't seen something like that since Memento. Nolan + Manhattan Project is a match made in heaven. Can't wait

Reactions: Sentinel and Tuggy

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Matt Damon as Leslie Grove. Grove has a very interesting story and was really the "grounded" counterpoint to Oppenheimer and was the driving force behind a lot of the practical work that had to be done in order for programs like The Manhattan Project to succeed.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Cillian Murphy is always great, but Damon was taking me out of that trailer a bit, his lines felt out of place.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I know we've got fans here, but Damon is - IMO - a terrible, terrible actor.

I think he's kind of a Tom Cruise type, where he's good in certain roles, but he doesn't have much range.

Films like Rounders and Good Will Hunting were right in his wheelhouse. Cruise in the last 15 years or so, has mostly stayed inside his wheelhouse. Damon ventures outside of his, and when he does the results are mixed.

Reactions: NyQuil

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I think he's kind of a Tom Cruise type, where he's good in certain roles, but he doesn't have much range.

Films like Rounders and Good Will Hunting were right in his wheelhouse. Cruise in the last 15 years or so, has mostly stayed inside his wheelhouse. Damon ventures outside of his, and when he does the results are mixed.
You see, I think Damon is limited and weak in just about everything. On the other hand, I like Tom Cruise, and I think he has a level of charisma that very few actors have. He did have a pretty conservative career, but was always very good when doing more daring roles IMO (Interview With the Vampire, Born on the 4th of July, Eyes Wide Shut...).

Anyway, that's going away from the thread. :)

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
You see, I think Damon is limited and weak in just about everything. On the other hand, I like Tom Cruise, and I think he has a level of charisma that very few actors have. He did have a pretty conservative career, but was always very good when doing more daring roles IMO (Interview With the Vampire, Born on the 4th of July, Eyes Wide Shut...).

Anyway, that's going away from the thread. :)
I have only seen Magnolia once, but wasn't Cruise playing some Andrew Tate-type advising guys how to score with more women?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The one role that I thought Matt Damon did very well in that was out of his comfort zone was the eponymous The Talented Mr. Ripley.

In general though, I agree that he's usually just Matt Damon. In this one, he's probably been selected to provide the comic relief zingers as the non-scientist General Leslie Groves (I'm guessing by the uniform).

Reactions: Beau Knows

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I didn't care for Tenet. First Nolan film I didn't like.

Hopefully he returns with form for this one. After reading this thread I'm starting to feel more optimistic because Jussi isn't excited.
Hey, read up on The Manhattan Project on Wikipedia or Oppenheimer himself. You might fall asleep during that. It was so mundanely normal. :laugh: The most interesting part became later when he became a anti-nuclear arms. Also I watched this as a kid in the early 80's and was bored to death: Oppenheimer (TV Mini Series 1980) - IMDb

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The one role that I thought Matt Damon did very well in that was out of his comfort zone was the eponymous The Talented Mr. Ripley.

In general though, I agree that he's usually just Matt Damon. In this one, he's probably been selected to provide the comic relief zingers as the non-scientist General Leslie Groves (I'm guessing by the uniform).
I thought his performance as a double - agent slimeball in The Departed was good.

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
As I understand, Groves was also a real redass, which is why he was basically forced out of the Army a few years after the war, despite his success with both the Manhattan Project (which he basically rescued) and the construction of the Pentagon. He was rude, arrogant, and ran roughshod over everyone and everything to get what he needed for whatever project he was working on.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I used to read but then I realized that what I really want to do is direct write.

I remember reading On Writing by Stephen King and one of his rules was "If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that".

But he also liked to go on cocaine benders, and doesn't even remember writing some of his books. So maybe you are right to avoid following his rules.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I remember reading On Writing by Stephen King and one of his rules was "If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that".

But he also liked to go on cocaine benders, and doesn't even remember writing some of his books. So maybe you are right to avoid following his rules.
:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad