Movies: Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...mer-1235028622/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Cillian Murphy has reteamed with Christopher Nolan for the filmmaker’s latest project, now officially titled Oppenheimer.

Universal called the project an “epic thriller that thrusts audiences into the pulse-pounding paradox of the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.”

Production will begin in early 2022 and shoot on IMAX 65mm and 65mm large-format film. Nolan has already assembled some of below-the-line talent, including director of photography Hoyte Van Hoytema, who worked with him on Tenet, Dunkirk and Interstellar; editor Jennifer Lame (Tenet) and composer Ludwig Göransson, who also worked on Tenet.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...mer-1235028622/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Cillian Murphy has reteamed with Christopher Nolan for the filmmaker’s latest project, now officially titled Oppenheimer.

Universal called the project an “epic thriller that thrusts audiences into the pulse-pounding paradox of the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.”

Production will begin in early 2022 and shoot on IMAX 65mm and 65mm large-format film. Nolan has already assembled some of below-the-line talent, including director of photography Hoyte Van Hoytema, who worked with him on Tenet, Dunkirk and Interstellar; editor Jennifer Lame (Tenet) and composer Ludwig Göransson, who also worked on Tenet.

I'm not sure I see how Oppenheimer's life story lends itself to a "thriller." I predict lots of emotional scenes where he's yelling at someone and breaking down, but beyond that, the Manhattan Project was pretty straightforward for the Los Alamos scientists.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
I'm not sure I see how Oppenheimer's life story lends itself to a "thriller." I predict lots of emotional scenes where he's yelling at someone and breaking down, but beyond that, the Manhattan Project was pretty straightforward for the Los Alamos scientists.

"Fat Man and Little Boy" sums up the Manhattan Project on cinema.

Reactions: SniperHF

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Agree that it doesn't lend itself to being a "thriller", disagree that it was straightforward. The Manhattan Project was a monumental scientific and engineering achievement, performed in an incredibly short space of time. I am in awe of the things they were able to do and the problems they solved with the technology of the time.

Having said that, Fermi creating the world first self sustaining nuclear reaction under the University of Chicago was pretty badass and done properly would make an amazing scene

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Pile-1

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I watched a miniseries called Oppenheimer in the 80's and it was dull as shit. I read up on him from an encyclopedia and there's zero drama on the him or the Manhattan Project

There was the time he choked someone as a graduate student, but that was one time.

The Los Alamos scientists worked six days a week, largely without physical peril (beyond the occasional fission or explosives test, and there was at least one really dangerous incident involving a critical mass test, but that was Otto Frisch, not Oppenheimer). That could make an interesting film (it made at least one really excellent book that I'm now rereading), but I'm not sure I see "thriller" out of it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I suspect it may delve into the revocation of his security status due to being branded as a Communist in the 1950s.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Murphy will be the spitting image of him no doubt. It's not going to be a documentary so my guess is they will fluff it up a bit to make it a "thriller."

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Murphy will be the spitting image of him no doubt. It's not going to be a documentary so my guess is they will fluff it up a bit to make it a "thriller."

Maybe play up the "race to beat the Nazis to it" side of things. I'm not sure how ready mainstream audiences are for a thriller based around which of the four proposed methods for purifying Uranium into 235U would be the best

Reactions: Jussi

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
My guess is that Nolan leans into the philosophical consequences of creating and using Nuclear Energy/Atomic Bombs. It may sound nerdy or boring but I’m fascinated by it.

The Manhattan Project is one of humanity’s greatest achievements, it deserves some Hollywood attention to hopefully make more people aware of how it happened and what it meant to the world.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
anQL7do_700b.jpg

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
My guess is that Nolan leans into the philosophical consequences of creating and using Nuclear Energy/Atomic Bombs. It may sound nerdy or boring but I’m fascinated by it.

The Manhattan Project is one of humanity’s greatest achievements, it deserves some Hollywood attention to hopefully make more people aware of how it happened and what it meant to the world.

I always thought to myself, why has there never been a major picture done on it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
First reaction: yawn.

We'll see how it ranks in the pantheon of Oscar bait biopics focused on scientists: The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything, A Beautiful Mind, etc.

I find biopics funny in general because they are so formulaic that you could swap in the protagonist writing the most famous song of a band right in the middle and it would blend seamlessly.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
We'll see how it ranks in the pantheon of Oscar bait biopics focused on scientists: The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything, A Beautiful Mind, etc.

I find biopics funny in general because they are so formulaic that you could swap in the protagonist writing the most famous song of a band right in the middle and it would blend seamlessly.

Its a Nolan movie. I don’t think it’ll be an Oscar-baity movie at all. After seeing 1917 I’m not concerned at all.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Well, he hasn't done a biopic yet so I guess we'll see if he can switch it up.

(intersperses scene of bomb dropping very slowly with scenes of Oppenheimer growing up, going to school, learning physics)

(as scientists get together debating the Manhatten Project, bomb is still dropping throughout the entire movie)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad