Movies: Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I saw it tonight and liked it. It took a long time for me to get into, though. For the first 45 minutes or so, I was struggling to follow along because it felt like it started in the middle of the story and jumped all around in time, rarely indicating the year. Fortunately, though, once Damon appeared and it started getting into the Manhattan Project, it got a little more linear and quite a bit more enjoyable and riveting. I wish that more of the film had been like that middle half. The third act dragged a little, but I was satisfied by how it ultimately wrapped up things. I appreciated the film's balance between justifying and questioning the achievement. It felt historically accurate in that sense. I didn't spot Sean Avery, but I did recognize and was impressed by the Gary Oldman cameo as Truman. Overall, despite my issues with its frustrating nonlinearity and pacing, I found the film powerful, informative and worth seeing.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I thought it was very good. Not sure I'd call it a masterpiece as some critics have but definitely one of Nolan's strongest works.

I'm putting my two big gripes in spoiler tags, not really to hide some big spoilers because it's a bit of a blurt of my thoughts that I'd rather just leave for anyone who cares to read but TL;DR: 1) I understood the whole plot but the pace was so frantic that I barely hung on for the ride 2) as worthy a story as the Strauss and Oppenheimer stuff is for people to know, I didn't find it to be the most compelling part of the movie though it was the most exposition heavy.

I also don't know that I agree that the movie lacks pacing issues but it's not in the sense that it drags or has senseless bloat. There'3 distinct acts and even some of the scenes you could objectively cut or shorten without suffering much all serve their purpose well. I think the inverse is the problem that there are times where the plot is moving almost too fast to build out everything the story is trying to accomplish. With so many relevant characters and moving parts to the Strauss v Oppenheimer stuff...I didn't feel like I lost the plot but it felt like I was barely holding on by my fingertips. By the conclusion I understood just fine what was going on but throughout the movie it felt like my brain needed time to process exposition I just heard but the movie wasn't giving me the time to breathe (but that's fairly common with Nolan).

And with that I echo the sentiment that the Strauss v. Oppenheimer stuff was just not as inherently compelling as the race to build the bomb. That's not to say it wasn't, but the movie feels a fair bit less meaningful once the bombs had been used. The most compelling stuff to come in the third act to me was the human impact the bomb had on Oppenheimer, but that wasn't the main scope until the end. It's a lot of scenes, with some great moments that turn out to be a battle over Oppenheimer's legacy and reputation. But instead of how the world and history might view him for what he brought into the worlda, it's how the American public in the days of McCarthyism may have viewed him as a hero or a communist traitor because of his associations and dabbling in advocacy. And that really doesn't matter today with how it played out.

All that said, there was certainly value in telling the full story this way. I just didn't find it as compelling for cinematic storytelling as I would prefer but that's just me. I likely would never have learned of this side of the story if not for it being a focal part of a Nolan film, and I'm not upset that I have now.

Anyway, all that aside, in all other respects, this really feels like Nolan at his directorial peak. Every scene feels masterfully crafted and it's hammered home by outstanding performances across the board. I mean this felt like just as much of an acting talent showcase as a filmmaking one.

Cillian Murphy delivers a career defining performance and as someone whose been a fan of his for a while, I'm so happy to see him get a major motion picture starring role and just slam it out of the park. Unbelievable performance. RDJ comes in a very close second for standout performances, I mean he just ate up every scene he was in (I'm almost inclined to say Cillian and RDJ were on even footing because most of the latter's scenes are without Cillian and when they share the screen, RDJ steals the scenes but I think that's just as much the direction of those scenes). Emily Blunt is a knockout, Matt Damon (who I find inconsistent) sold every scene he was in, and I think Florence Pugh deserves some serious props for impacting the film so heavily in a relatively limited role. Jason Clarke packed in an outstanding performance in a pretty narrow role and lent the movie a huge dose of tension on his own (arguably one of the best attorney roles I've seen in a long time). But I mean, like I said. There were no passengers in this cast. Everyone was outstanding.

I'm a bit miffed that I didn't notice Sean Avery.

Anyway. Terrific bit of cinema, but I'd say it falls a bit short of a magnum opus. Or at least I hope it does in Nolan's case and hopefully the best is yet to come.
Great post and I agree with everything tbh.

I wish there was much more focus on the bomb and could’ve done with our much of the Strauss storyline. It was awesome seeing RDJ kick ass again in something that isn’t a Marvel movie though. Great performances all around and the cast as a whole was stacked with talent and cool names.

There was a timeless movie in here somewhere. With a few changes Nolan would’ve nailed it. Still a great time at the theater, I checked my watch once and there ended up being only 20 minutes left. The runtime was hardly noticeable otherwise.

Reactions: HanSolo

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Oppenheimer (2022). Finally I got around to watching the second most-talked-about film this year (the first, the B-Movie, I will skip at least until it becomes available on MOD). I have a few issues with this film. The length is not my main issue. But after three hours ran out, I came out with the strong feeling that I just watched a three-hour-long trailer of the movie Oppenheimer. The choppy editing, the jittery camerawork, and the perpetually bombastic sound usually come together in a three-minute trailer. This movie never relaxes its frantic grip, and it feels extremely weird and unsettling. The struggles of the creator of the nuclear bomb, both political and personal, are too hectic to truly sympathize with (although his visions are quite artistic). In fact, I was having the hardest time understanding what exactly was the controversy with Robert Oppenheimer in 1954. An insinuation that he had previously been a Communist? This was resolved ten years prior when he was put in charge of the Manhattan Project. That he was about to pass the bomb secrets to the Soviets? He is not at any point charged with it. A simple matter of a government committee renewing or not renewing his top secret clearance is presented like a Spanish Inquisition trial!

There are, of course, Oppenheimer’s personal torments and infidelities, and there is even a backstabbing colleague. But, like my son said, “they made it look like he is fighting for his life.” This brought the memories of another movie with a similar issue: Sully. A hero pilot who “landed” the airplane in the Hudson River, saving numerous lives, in the movie is put through a terrible ordeal by a malevolent commission, hellbent on destroying him, for the sole purpose of “dramatization.” Same thing here. I would think, the internal struggle of the man, summed up in his ever-famous “I have become death” sentence, was enough for a full-fledged drama.

Cillian Murphy finally lands his first blockbuster lead, and he is excellent (his voice reminds me of Jeremy Irons), in fact – he is probably the best thing about this movie. Another excellent choice is Jason Bourne… I meant Matt Damon, for the army general who oversees the project. But director Christopher Nolan goes further: he adds a perpetually naked first wife, a bitchy second wife (Emily Blunt barely scratches the surface of her talents), an AEC schemer (a better-than-usual Robert Downing Jr.), a harassing committee prosecutor, and others, including Woody Allen-style cameos from very famous actors (Kenneth Brannaugh, Matthew Modine, Casey Affleck, Rami Malek, Gary Oldman) – all strictly for the dramatic effect that felt superfluous.

My main hope is that it will make people at least read some Wikipedia: the creation of the bomb and biographies of the brilliant minds behind it is quite fascinating. But as a movie, honestly, I was not too impressed. For someone who felt that Dunkirk was too slow and Interstellar too meticulous (until the last part with strings, where I felt Nolan lost interest), Oppenheimer feels like both, and, I suspect, like both of them, it will massively be talked about and forgotten shortly after its Oscar nomination. I still maintain Nolan’s debut Memento was his best work. Hell, I’ll maintain that the atomic explosion in Oppenheimer is not as visually (or sonically) impressive as the one in Dr. Strangelove. 6/10

Last edited:

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Dazzling technique by Nolan but, with the exception of Matt Damon's Army Colonel Leslie Groves, I found Oppenheimer more intellectually stimulating than emotionally engaging,

(full review on movie page)

I really enjoyed reading your and Ozzy's thoughts after seeing the movie. I think Oppenheimer had some fantastic moments that almost made it remarkable.
The address of the crowd cheering at Los Alamos; Oppenheimer's final night with Jean; the line of response "Give it back to the Indians" re: what should be done with Los Alamos post-war to Truman.

I agree with you both that the ending wasn't as strong as it could have been. Who cares JFK voted no? (maybe a bit harsh, but that just seemed out-of-place and myopically American to me as a line) The whole biopic idea seems a bit conceited when the bomb killed so many innocent people. For something that's a topic in the movie (To what extent is Oppenheimer the person important historically?), Strauss's denied appointment isn't the strongest ending. Ending just a minute earlier with the final lines from Einstein would have been much better in my opinion. That would have been an interesting ending, and would left space to think, and those were darn good lines in my opinion. (The medal ceremony would have been an okay ending too)

If I had written the movie, maybe I would have went from the Einstein scene to a scene clearly set in an imagined future with a U.S. president apologizing briefly in a speech or a simple black screen with "The United States has never apologized for the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki".

Anyways, I thought the movie did do a reasonably good job with the physics moments and I liked the abstract special effects, if anything I thought there could have been even more of a focus on physics in the movie.

I think I liked it more than most. I can't remember Dunkirk at all and think I thought it was forgettable when I saw it, whereas Oppenheimer I view as a much better film.

Reactions: kihei

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
Oppenheimer (2022). Finally I got around to watching the second most-talked about film this year (the first, the B-Movie, I will skip at least until it becomes available on MOD). I have a few issues with this film. The length is not my main issue. But after three hours ran out, I came out with the strong feeling that I just watched a three-hour long trailer of the movie Oppenheimer. The choppy editing, the jittery camerawork, and the perpetually bombastic sound usually come together in a three-minute trailer. This movie never relaxes its frantic grip, and it feels extremely weird and unsettling. The struggles of the creator of the nuclear bomb, both political and personal, are too hectic to truly sympathize with (although his visions are quite artistic). In fact, I was having the hardest time understanding what exactly was the controversy with Robert Oppenheimer in 1954. The fact that he had previously been a Communist? This was resolved ten years prior, when he was put in charge of the Manhattan Project. That he was about to pass the bomb secrets to the Soviets? He is not at any point charged with it. A simple matter of a government committee renewing or not renewing his top secret clearance is presented like a Spanish Inquisition trial! There are, of course, Oppenheimer’s personal torments and infidelities, and there is even a backstabbing colleague. But, like my son said, “they made it look like he is fighting for his life.” This brought the memories of another movie with a similar issue: Sully. A hero pilot who “landed” the airplane in the Hudson River, saving numerous lives, in the movie is put through a terrible ordeal by a malevolent commission, hellbent on destroying him, for the sole purpose of “dramatization.” Same thing here. I would think, the internal struggle of the man, summed up in his ever-famous “I have become death” sentence, was enough for a full-fledged drama. Cillian Murphy finally lands his first blockbuster lead, and he is excellent (his voice reminds me of Jeremy Irons), in fact – he is probably the best thing about this movie. Another excellent choice is Jason Bourne… I meant Matt Damon, for the army general who oversees the project. But director Christopher Nolan goes further: he adds a perpetually naked first wife, a bitchy second wife (Emily Blunt barely scratches the surface of her talents), an AEC schemer (a better-than-usual Robert Downing Jr.), a harassing committee prosecutor, and others, including Woody Allen-style cameos from very famous actors (Kenneth Brannaugh, Matthew Modine, Casey Affleck, Rami Malek, Gary Oldman) – all strictly for the dramatic effect that felt superfluous. My main hope is that it will make people at least read some Wikipedia: the creation of the bomb and biographies of the brilliant minds behind it is quite fascinating. But as a movie, honestly, I was not too impressed. For someone who felt that Dunkirk was too slow and Interstellar too meticulous (until the last part with strings, where I felt Nolan lost interest), Oppenheimer feels like both, and, I suspect, like both of them, it will massively be talked about and forgotten shortly after its Oscar nomination. I still maintain Nolan’s debut Memento was his best work. Hell, I’ll maintain that the atomic explosion in Oppenheimer is not as visually (or sonically) impressive as the one in Dr. Strangelove. 6/10
Nolan had a black and white film called Following before Memento. I have not seen it but wanted to mention in case you were interested.

Reactions: Sentinel

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Anyone saw Oppenheimer in an IMAX 70mm film format?

I heard, it is something very special. But there are only 30 theaters in the world (USA, UK, Canada, Australia and the Czech Republic), that can use this new technology.

I want to go to the low-resolution IMAX, but dont know, if it is worth of the money.
Yup just saw it today, it took me a minute because good seats were always sold out a few days before. It was truly incredible visually; not a fan of the sound editing and score mixing (even though I liked the score), pretty good performaces, but I agree with the sentiment that they didn't really explore some things well enough. Especially with the run time, I think it could for sure have been re-edited/told the story a little better; I mean Pearl Harbor was just mentioned in a blip, I get we're supposed to know the story, but still. Mind blowing good cinematography though, glad I got to see it in the proper format (even though it was kind of a dick move in a way by Nolan aha)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'll always recommend this to folks.

And I hope that this is also a new stage in RDJ's career. He's always been a damn good actor, but he's been written-off as a comic book guy for way too long (and granted, he's been amazingly well-compensated for that), but hot damn he was amazing as Lewis Strauss. Well-deserved BAFTA win and hope he gets an Oscar, too.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada

And I hope that this is also a new stage in RDJ's career. He's always been a damn good actor, but he's been written-off as a comic book guy for way too long (and granted, he's been amazingly well-compensated for that), but hot damn he was amazing as Lewis Strauss. Well-deserved BAFTA win and hope he gets an Oscar, too.

I liked him as the mellow journalist turned scared druggie in zodiac.
"Why you digging through my mail again?"
"Because the Zodiac named YOU"
*RDJ visibly shook, starts drinking more*

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
He was a lot of fun as Sherlock Holmes too. Loved him in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Charlie Bartlett, and his villainy role in US Marshals. Still haven't seen "A Scanner Darkly" yet. Been meaning to watch that one for over a decade now

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I liked him as the mellow journalist turned scared druggie in zodiac.
"Why you digging through my mail again?"
"Because the Zodiac named YOU"
*RDJ visibly shook, starts drinking more*
I love the scene where him & Jake Gyllenhal are in the bar & RDJ stops mid conversation & asks about his island themed cocktail.

RDJ :"This can no longer be ignored...."

:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: hotcabbagesoup

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I also thought Damon playing Leslie Groves was amazing. He killed it.
The Judge might be his best piece of acting

Underrated performance.

Sep 19, 2008
Finished watching tonight I liked it, it was a tad too long but yeah they really go into what happened after the bomb once he started talking his views on warfare

Sep 19, 2008
This is now available to stream on Peacock, I finally get to watch it now lol
Should also be noted the behind the scenes Oppenheimer 30 minute special w/ Interview segments with Nolan is also included on Peacock

This is a very good movie and perhaps best picture / best director / best actor

Not sure if it's the best movie I've seen in this millennium though

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It was very well done with some great performances but overall was pretty dry for me.

It didn't drag but there should've been more focus on the development of the bomb. It was glossed over for how much went into it.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
This film has a moronic pace, as already noted, I watched 40 minutes of it, and did not understand what the point of this adaptation was. When he began to implement the Manhattan project and began to draw something at the blackboard to Zimmer's music, it was so cliched and boring that I turned off this nonsense rolling my eyes. As I said before, I don't consider Oppenheimer to be such a great genius. I suspect that the whole film makes no more sense than these 40 minutes, and consists of overrated dialogues and pseudo-deep conversations with alby. If they had shot the scene where Einstein shows his tongue, it would have cheered up this movie a little bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad