Confirmed with Link: Christian Fischer not qualified, (signs with DET, 1x$1.125M)

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
He is best buds with Keller. So I think those concerned about the room are right to have that concern. That said, I think Keller likely ok'd this and they will re-sign him for less.

Am not huge fan of Fish but he had better year last year and he makes Keller happy. Think Jack Haley and Dennis Rodman.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
That “big Russian” ain’t coming for at least two years.

We’re sitting on 33 contracts right now.
And…. We’re going to need at least 65-70 bodies by pre-season to deal with a three headed monster that stretches over half the globe on one day.

So go figure. :laugh:
*there's* your local tie in. Have a contest for the local beer leagues "win a trip to Wichita on a 1 day ATO with the Yotes!'

Reactions: TheLegend

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
He is best buds with Keller. So I think those concerned about the room are right to have that concern. That said, I think Keller likely ok'd this and they will re-sign him for less.
And what if he's always best buds with Keller? Do we keep him forever?

Fisch played at the Program with Brendan Warren, Auston Matthews and Charlie McAvoy. Why did we never sign Warren after we drafted him? Why don't Toronto or Boston sign Fischer now?

Shane Doan had best buds (Yandle, Vermette) and they went away too. It's a business. They can still be friends and play golf in the summer or link up when they're in each other's town.
Am not huge fan of Fish but he had better year last year and he makes Keller happy. Think Jack Haley and Dennis Rodman.
He also had a bigger role last year than he should, or will going forward if the team is going to be any good.

2018: 5th on the team in scoring among forwards (Keller, Stepan, Domi, Dvorak)
2019: 11th (Keller, Galchenyuk, Hinostroza, Stepan, Panik, Richardson, Cousins, Crouse, Archibald, Garland)
2020: 13th (Schmaltz, Keller, Garland, Dvorak, Kessel, Soderberg, Stepan, Hall, Crouse, Hinostroza, Grabner, Richardson)
2021: 11th (Kessel, Garland, Keller, Schmaltz, Dvorak, Brassard, Larsson, Bunting, Crouse, Pitlick)
2022: 12th (Keller, Schmaltz, Kessel, Boyd, Crouse, Hayton, Galchenyuk, Eriksson, Larsson, Ritchie, Ladd)
2023: 7th (Keller, Schmaltz, Maccelli, Crouse, Hayton, Boyd)

If "having a better year" = scoring more, then looking back, his "better years" correlate to the Coyotes being awful. The only two years when his offensive production was top 9, the team was awful. The year we made the playoffs in the bubble, his offensive production was that of a healthy scratch. I suspect it's because we had other, better players than Chris Fischer.

I get it, he's had some injuries and missed games, but in 2020, Jason Demers played fewer games than Fisch and still out-scored him. Loui Eriksson and Andrew Ladd out-scored him last year. He's not "growing into a bigger role" ... he's 26, he is what he is, and that's a 1 yr / $900k player.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Morgan and Peters. There's a duo for ya.

I hope not. He's a great guy, good in the room and all but time to move on. Besides, we have that big Russian coming.
I cant believe people still watch PHNX after blundering the draft coverage. They covered everyone besides the guys we were heavily scouting and ended up selecting (im bitter after wasting so much time watching).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53 and ck26

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I cant believe people still watch PHNX after blundering the draft coverage. They covered everyone besides the guys we were heavingly scouting and ended up selecting (im bitter after wasting so much time watching).
I watched 300+ chl games this year.i’m good w picks because of their massively upside and exciting skill sets but will be critical if it doesn’t pan out.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
LOL, that always seemed the general sentiment around here….. now everyone is bummed he wasn’t signed. :huh:

When we're down a goal with a few minutes remaining, my first thought has always been, "let's double-shift Christian Fischer." I will admit that in this past season, he did show flashes of mediocrity.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I watched 300+ chl games this year.i’m good w picks because of their massively upside and exciting skill sets but will be critical if it doesn’t pan out.
I'm not, but I'm a fan and have never seen these two kids play. I just hope that BA doesn't think he is the smartest guy in the room, like someone else we all know. I wasn't a fan of the Geekie pick last year as well.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm not, but I'm a fan and have never seen these two kids play. I just hope that BA doesn't think he is the smartest guy in the room, like someone else we all know. I wasn't a fan of the Geekie pick last year as well.
This is the scouting department picks. The last teaser on the behind the scenes draft coverage showed someone asking of they could get both Russians. Don’t think this is a BA decision alone. Compare that to Hayton where reportedly Chayka was prepared to overrule scouts and take Hayton over Tkachuk if Tkachuk got past sens.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We have so many wingers coming up so I’d think at most we could only keep Fish for two more years.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Keeping Fischer on the roster is probably good for morale.

Keeping Fischer on the roster isn’t good for the on ice product. It’s also not fair to him to be the 13th forward when we only run 11 sometimes. He’s earned himself an opportunity to become a regular NHL player. Just not here.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
And what if he's always best buds with Keller? Do we keep him forever?

Fisch played at the Program with Brendan Warren, Auston Matthews and Charlie McAvoy. Why did we never sign Warren after we drafted him? Why don't Toronto or Boston sign Fischer now?

Shane Doan had best buds (Yandle, Vermette) and they went away too. It's a business. They can still be friends and play golf in the summer or link up when they're in each other's town.

He also had a bigger role last year than he should, or will going forward if the team is going to be any good.

2018: 5th on the team in scoring among forwards (Keller, Stepan, Domi, Dvorak)
2019: 11th (Keller, Galchenyuk, Hinostroza, Stepan, Panik, Richardson, Cousins, Crouse, Archibald, Garland)
2020: 13th (Schmaltz, Keller, Garland, Dvorak, Kessel, Soderberg, Stepan, Hall, Crouse, Hinostroza, Grabner, Richardson)
2021: 11th (Kessel, Garland, Keller, Schmaltz, Dvorak, Brassard, Larsson, Bunting, Crouse, Pitlick)
2022: 12th (Keller, Schmaltz, Kessel, Boyd, Crouse, Hayton, Galchenyuk, Eriksson, Larsson, Ritchie, Ladd)
2023: 7th (Keller, Schmaltz, Maccelli, Crouse, Hayton, Boyd)

If "having a better year" = scoring more, then looking back, his "better years" correlate to the Coyotes being awful. The only two years when his offensive production was top 9, the team was awful. The year we made the playoffs in the bubble, his offensive production was that of a healthy scratch. I suspect it's because we had other, better players than Chris Fischer.

I get it, he's had some injuries and missed games, but in 2020, Jason Demers played fewer games than Fisch and still out-scored him. Loui Eriksson and Andrew Ladd out-scored him last year. He's not "growing into a bigger role" ... he's 26, he is what he is, and that's a 1 yr / $900k player.
All great points. I wasn't lobbying for Fischer...was simply agreeing with some here who have concerns about "the room."

Fischer had a better year last year...it's a low bar...but he played AT's system and that's why he got the "A." His improvement had more I think to do with his hustle, leadership, and yes some goals.

That said, I have no issue parting with Fischer or keeping him as long as Fischer and AT recognize what he is...a 4th line grinder with some leadership qualities. He is very similar in a lot of ways to Martinook who incidentally wore the "A" for Carolina. JM makes $1.8M with similar stats. I am sure that's what Fischer wants...hence the no qualify.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is the scouting department picks. The last teaser on the behind the scenes draft coverage showed someone asking of they could get both Russians. Don’t think this is a BA decision alone. Compare that to Hayton where reportedly Chayka was prepared to overrule scouts and take Hayton over Tkachuk if Tkachuk got past sens.
The buck stops with BA. Look, these two kids might end up stars, but D take longer to develop and seem easier to get in trades. Centers, good to great centers anyway, never seem to become available.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
weird I can longer see twitter posts here.. so I decided finally I would get a twitter account…

I signed up started following some sports guys.. everything worked great for 2 min.. now it just says something is wrong… go figure

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I have Keller as captain with Crouse as an A. Other A is Fischer’s if he comes back. Don’t really see a good option if not. Might have to be a veteran add.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
That “big Russian” ain’t coming for at least two years.

We’re sitting on 33 contracts right now.
And…. We’re going to need at least 65-70 bodies by pre-season to deal with a three headed monster that stretches over half the globe on one day.

So go figure. :laugh:
BA is gonna be mighty busy over the couple days.

Reactions: TheLegend

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The buck stops with BA. Look, these two kids might end up stars, but D take longer to develop and seem easier to get in trades. Centers, good to great centers anyway, never seem to become available.
I don’t think top D are easily available in trades. C’s as well. That’s why they go high in the draft. Which C are u upset we missed out w But pick?

Reactions: Kaizen

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
MaybeBA was only willing to give 1 year and Fisch wanted 2 or 3. Fischer for more than a year is taking a roster spot from a prospect with potential.

Fish is a bottom 6 guy and we have about 15-20 wingers in our pipeline that will need to graduate into the roster at some point. A long-term deal w Fischer doesn’t suit AZ at all.
I just said the same….think term was a big factor.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don’t think top D are easily available in trades. C’s as well. That’s why they go high in the draft. Which C are u upset we missed out w But pick?
Top players are not easily available in trades IMO, regardless of position. The very best tend to stay in one city until the latter stages of their career.

Now, I would have taken Michkov and have let it be an arranged marriage hoping that we’d learn to love each other. I am happy to have Simashev over Leonard. I value D equal to C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad