Player Discussion Chris Wideman

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The problem with keeping Wideman is we already have Edmundson, Petry and Savard as vets and Romanov as a young dman with experience. Trading Petry will not be as easy as it sounds he might have to spend another year in Montreal. If we sign Wideman it doesn't leave much place to try kids.

I'd be shocked if Petry isn't gone by next next season, and I also expect the return to be modest at best.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
The problem with keeping Wideman is we already have Edmundson, Petry and Savard as vets and Romanov as a young dman with experience. Trading Petry will not be as easy as it sounds he might have to spend another year in Montreal. If we sign Wideman it doesn't leave much place to try kids.

He’s a good depth D that can go in and out of the lineup. I’d rather sign him to a 1-2 yr deal than go after any over priced UFAs

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
you need #7-8 Dmen and you don't want those to guys to be young player who need ice time.

Reactions: Fandangle

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
you need #7-8 Dmen and you don't want those to guys to be young player who need ice time.
Don't think Wideman is a 7th dman though. Unless you "guarantee" him a 3rd pairing spot why would he sign here? He played well enough this year to be considered a potent 3rd pairing dman and have a deal on the UFA market as one.

Reactions: Dutronc

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Don't think Wideman is a 7th dman though. Unless you "guarantee" him a 3rd pairing spot why would he sign here? He played well enough this year to be considered a potent 3rd pairing dman and have a deal on the UFA market as one.
If someone want to offer him that, then you can let him go but at this point of his career not sure it will happen

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Sure but I don't think we have any kids that are too good for the AHL. I'm not sure having Barron, Ghule, Harris, Norlinder starting in the AHL is actually a bad thing for any of them. So if we have 1 open spot for the young guys to fight over and then the rest will start in the AHL and be called up when injuries inevitably happen. That seems like a sensible plan, especially if whoever has those other spots are disposable.

So the key for us to re-sign Wideman is that it needs to remain a contract that you can dispose of. We can bury up to 1.125m next year, so if Wideman is willing to sign for that amount or less then we should do it no questions asked, I'd even do 2-3 years for that amount. If the young guys are ready they can steal his spot and his contract can't be sent to the AHL or lost to waivers so there's little risk on our side.

So that means you almost give up on Fairbrother cause he wont play much. I don't see much potential in him so not necessarily against it. But you can do that for a year at most cause Mailloux and Strubble will also likely join the AHL after that so Wideman contract would probably need to be 1 year. I mean if he accepts that sure.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
So that means you almost give up on Fairbrother cause he wont play much. I don't see much potential in him so not necessarily against it. But you can do that for a year at most cause Mailloux and Strubble will also likely join the AHL after that so Wideman contract would probably need to be 1 year. I mean if he accepts that sure.
I don't think the years matter that much because you always have that #7 spot which shouldn't be filled by a young guy. And in the end in the worst situation is you put him in the AHL/ECHL/Lend him to Europe/whatever. Just because you sign him for say 3 years, doesn't mean he has a guaranteed spot in the NHL for 3 years (And we should be upfront and honest about that with him). His incentive to sign anyways is because it's guaranteed money that he might not find elsewhere as I don't see any teams offering him a multi-year deal so his choice is at best a 1 year deal at more then 1m, vs a 2-3 year deal at 1m.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Wideman is such a team player. We're lucky to have guys like him on our team. Good guys needs to be aknowledged.

Great guy
I was extremely happy when they announced that they resigned him.

He was definitely one of the rare good stories from the abysmal season that we just witnessed.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Not that sure about his hockey abilities...but geez this guy oozes veteran leadership.
He has also been through a lot of downs in his hockey career (got scapegoated by the Sens with UberGate) and has a lot of great experience and wisdom to offer to the youngsters.

As far as hockey abilities, we could do worse than a third pairing RD who is effective on the 2nd PP unit and brings that leadership that you mention.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
1666350873557.png

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He's getting waived as soon as Matheson is ready to go!

Kovacevic probably beat him with his work on the PK.

They could also waive Pezzetta though...

He's not even playing...

Going 8 D's and 13 forwards...

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He's getting waived as soon as Matheson is ready to go!

Kovacevic probably beat him with his work on the PK.

They could also waive Pezzetta though...

He's not even playing...

Going 8 D's and 13 forwards...

I think when he's back, we'll go with 13 F and 8 D unless one of the younger D begins to struggle. Wideman is signed on a very friendly deal so I think he'd get claimed by a team needing D depth if he gets waived. In addition, I remember reading the article below a while ago, he seems like a very popular guy in the dressing room so I think they'd want to keep him around our young guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad