Value of: Chris Tanev

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I am a Canuck fan who actually understands Tanev won't get value as a top pairing Dman on the open market.

The Canucks should trade a Hutton, Sbisa or a Stetcher instead teams are not going to bend over backwards to obtain Tanev nor will they pay value for him for a top pairing guy.

So don't torture yourselves Canucks fans stop trying to move this guy because if and when he does move yoi will be very disappointed in the return, if you are expecting top 2 value back!

Stetcher for Vesey!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Gorton and Benning made the Etem-Jensen trade, they should talk again.

NYR need a RD, Tanev would be a good fit albeit lacking the PPQB ability NYR covets.

JT Miller is every bit the top young player Vancouver is "dreaming" to get for Tanev. People are talking about Taylor Hall, JT Miller is 2-3 years younger, makes less than half of Hall AND is out scoring him. JT is also a proven winner in the WJC etc.

Gorton would never do Miller straight off for Tanev. But the gap could be bridged by Vancouver putting Virtanen on the table. Virtanen isn't becoming the player expected when he was picked, but a fast new start and a more realistic goal of becoming a 4th lineer would help him. NYR can add assets to round out the deal. Ryan Gropp -- a high 2nd round pick last season -- would be made expandable by Virtanen.

JT Miller
Ryan Gropp

for

Chris Tanev
Jake Virtanen

I know many will claim that Miller should be untouchable after his play this season, but NYR needs that help on the blueline. Virtanen will need at least another full year in the AHL before he could challenge for a 4th line role, and it seems be likely he won't become more than a 4th lineer. But the division NYR is in is what it is somewhere somehow they need to get some more toughness on the roster. Virts has potential to be a modern type of "enforcer" for them, not fighting 10 times a year, but a few times, when it's needed.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
I think there's a big gap in value between a #1 and a #2. I don't think you can generalize the two. You also can't use outlier trades to set precedents. Ie the Hall trade. Tanev will never be regarded as a #1 with his inability to produce at a high rate.

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015
No point of adding Corrado he is kind of worthless at this point... I think the value is not to far off maybe if you add another pick? That being said the Canucks will never trade him unless its so lopsided that it would be stupid to pass up...canucks are trying to make the playoffs, no matter who they trade for without tanev they won't make the playoff

I thought Canucks would want another young guy who can jump in, but how about instead of that either a 2017 3rd or a 2018 2nd?

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
I think there's a big gap in value between a #1 and a #2. I don't think you can generalize the two. You also can't use outlier trades to set precedents. Ie the Hall trade. Tanev will never be regarded as a #1 with his inability to produce at a high rate.

Except Adam Larsson was never producing at a high rate

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Gorton and Benning made the Etem-Jensen trade, they should talk again.

NYR need a RD, Tanev would be a good fit albeit lacking the PPQB ability NYR covets.

JT Miller is every bit the top young player Vancouver is "dreaming" to get for Tanev. People are talking about Taylor Hall, JT Miller is 2-3 years younger, makes less than half of Hall AND is out scoring him. JT is also a proven winner in the WJC etc.

Gorton would never do Miller straight off for Tanev. But the gap could be bridged by Vancouver putting Virtanen on the table. Virtanen isn't becoming the player expected when he was picked, but a fast new start and a more realistic goal of becoming a 4th lineer would help him. NYR can add assets to round out the deal. Ryan Gropp -- a high 2nd round pick last season -- would be made expandable by Virtanen.

JT Miller
Ryan Gropp

for

Chris Tanev
Jake Virtanen

I know many will claim that Miller should be untouchable after his play this season, but NYR needs that help on the blueline. Virtanen will need at least another full year in the AHL before he could challenge for a 4th line role, and it seems be likely he won't become more than a 4th lineer. But the division NYR is in is what it is somewhere somehow they need to get some more toughness on the roster. Virts has potential to be a modern type of "enforcer" for them, not fighting 10 times a year, but a few times, when it's needed.

These keep getting worse. No amount of diatribe car salesmen esque ******** will get this deal going through. Miller doesn't have the high end offensive potential needed to deal Tanev. NYR don't have a horse for the Tanev race. Accept your fate like LiferLeafer and just stop.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
These keep getting worse. No amount of diatribe car salesmen esque ******** will get this deal going through. Miller doesn't have the high end offensive potential needed to deal Tanev. NYR don't have a horse for the Tanev race. Accept your fate like LiferLeafer and just stop.

For those who do not know....Leafs can't afford Tanev.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Clearly no team in the league can afford the best dman that has yet to score a goal. He's so good at shot suppression, he suppresses his own apparently.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Lol Miller is a 23 year old currently producing like a 1st player, that has gotten better each year in the league, with a strong 2 way game and ability to play to centre to boot. What is this "high end offensive potential" required then? Top 30 offensive player potential while being top 6 on an elc? Top 20? 10? Yeah totally worth it for an oft injured defence only 2D that's UFA in 3 years. I mean some team may end up getting desparate and feel such a player is surplus, but is in no way a reasonable expectation.

Why don't you write a list of everyplayer in the league that fits. Save some time from such scrubby offers as JT Miller.

Clearly no team in the league can afford the best dman that has yet to score a goal. He's so good at shot suppression, he suppresses his own apparently.

The Super Exclusive Way Too Cool Tanev Horse Race Club, even the 5 teams invited don't want to be members

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Lol Miller is a 23 year old currently producing like a 1st player, that has gotten better each year in the league, with a strong 2 way game and ability to play to centre to boot. What is this "high end offensive potential" required then? Top 30 offensive player potential while being top 6 on an elc? Top 20? 10? Yeah totally worth it for an oft injured defence only 2D that's UFA in 3 years. I mean some team may end up getting desparate and feel such a player is surplus, but is in no way a reasonable expectation.

Why don't you write a list of everyplayer in the league that fits. Save some time from such scrubby offers as JT Miller.

The Super Exclusive Way Too Cool Tanev Horse Race Club, even the 5 teams invited don't want to be members
That's kind of aleady happening via threads on this board:

Nylander=nope
Marner=nope
Drouin=nope
Domi=nope
Simmonds=nope

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
The disconnect is from other fanbases jumping in logic from "re-tool and go for it" somehow meaning trade your best current defenseman. :shakehead

I think the even bigger problem is that a certain few Canucks fan keep posting these Tanev threads, and a few other certain Canucks fans keep making ridiculous asks.

Those few people incite sarcastic comments from other fans like "they wouldn't even do Tavares 1 for 1!" or

People seem to get so upset when a clearly homering Canucks fan makes an absurd proposal and their first reaction is to dump on the player unnecessarily.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Nylander=nope
Marner=nope
Drouin=nope
Domi=nope
Simmonds=nope

Haven't seen that one, but in a vacuum that's actually pretty good. Similar age, contract status and value level. Maybe some additional pieces to balance out decent. Couture, Mark Stone, and B. Schenn are others off the top of my head.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Haven't seen that one, but in a vacuum that's actually pretty good. Similar age, contract status and value level. Maybe some additional pieces to balance out decent. Couture, Mark Stone , and B. Schenn are others off the top of my head.

Lol no

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016

Oh the irony.:laugh:

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
Hey look!! This thread is back!!

Leafs can't afford Tanev!! Booya!!!

New to this thread. What have the leafs been offering? I see a decent trading partner as the leafs have plenty of young forwards that the Canucks could use.

Canucks wouldn't want anyone over 23 though as they are quite a few years behind the leafs in their "rebuild".

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
New to this thread. What have the leafs been offering? I see a decent trading partner as the leafs have plenty of young forwards that the Canucks could use.

Canucks wouldn't want anyone over 23 though as they are quite a few years behind the leafs in their "rebuild".

It doesn't matter. Canucks fans will tell you it's Nylander(+) or bust...thus, the Leafs can't afford Tanev.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

Its more like what do Canucks fans want for Tanev? A lot.

As a group, they remind me of a story attributed to the late Harold Ballard who learned that Leafs management wanted to trade Ian Turnbull while his value was high after his best-ever season. Reportedly, Ballard squashed that by loudly and emphatically announcing at the opening of the end-of-season management meeting that he would not trade Ian Turnbull for God! While the management team looked glumly and silently around the room, the video- replay assistant asked "How about God and a second-round draft pick?"

I think Canucks fans would not trade the best no-goal 20-point 27-y.o. defenceman in the NHL for God, even if you throw in a second-round draft pick. Not even a late first. Tanev's talent is yuuuge! Its amazing! The best ever! You should see it!

Cquant

May 14, 2015

Nylander=nope
Marner=nope
Drouin=nope
Domi=nope
Simmonds=nope

You can write it like this but this isn't exactly very telling of the value.
TB clearly doesn't need an RHD as much as they need cheap contracts like Drouin. They have a cap situation. Arizona is almost the worst team in the league and have no reason to trade their best scoring forward for help on defense. It makes sense to let their young defensemen develop and just wait it out. Philadelphia has a ton of good defense prospects and don't have a need for another D.

I don't recall anyone asking for Marner. Marner is out of the ballpark for Tanev. A deal around Nylander I still think is fair but I evaluate things a bit differently.
Think about it like this: Tanev would become one of your core pieces for the next couple of years. He'd be paired with Rielly and would be great to watch. If anything valued at Nylander and higher is off the table then we are gambling. But we most likely aren't getting a core piece back. It just doesn't make sense from Vancouvers perspective to trade for anything less than a core piece going forward.

But this has been discussed :) Nylander is off the table. I still think we can get a deal done around JT Miller.

Its also hard to describe why we Canucks fans think Tanev is so great. And there was a post of the Canucks forums that I thought described it perfectly. The change in how the Canucks play with and without Tanev is huge.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad