Value of: Chris Tanev

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Benning isn't trading Juolevi. If any defensemen is traded, it's Hutton or Tanev.

I really don't think Tanev is available either. I'd bet good money that Hutton is likely the most available, Benning likely views him as expendable due to Stetcher(not that I agree with that line of thinking).

I think Hutton's name was floating around during the Evander Kane rumours as well.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I really don't think Tanev is available either. I'd bet good money that Hutton is likely the most available, Benning likely views him as expendable due to Stetcher(not that I agree with that line of thinking).

I think Hutton's name was floating around during the Evander Kane rumours as well.

I don't think any should be available, but I don't make those calls. No defensemen on the Canucks currently makes any other defensemen expendable. Over half the defense is still way too raw to be making moves based on expendability.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
Ok, honest question....Nucks fans have repeatedly said they want a 1 for 1 deal with a minimum (from the Leafs) Nylander coming back. Please compile a list of teams...and which players that fit that criteria.

I'm not going to write out a whole list..but generally,I think the criteria would an"A level " forward..which would fit into the age bracket of the younger core 18-24...As I mentioned earlier, even a player like Landeskog.(a high quality player that needs a change of scenery).....The Canucks may have to add in certain cases.

I don't see any Leaf proposal I like...as I'm sure you don't like Tanevs price tag..no worries..There's other options for both teams..

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
No defensemen on the Canucks currently makes any other defensemen expendable. Over half the defense is still way too raw to be making moves based on expendability.

Maybe no individual D-man, but the combo of Tanev + Stecher + Tryamkin makes Gudbranson expendable.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Maybe no individual D-man, but the combo of Tanev + Stecher + Tryamkin makes Gudbranson expendable.

I'll admit, I wasn't even thinking of Gudbranson at the time of that post. :laugh: It's not even that anyone makes Gudbranson expendable, it's just Gudbranson makes himself expendable for not being that good.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I don't think any should be available, but I don't make those calls. No defensemen on the Canucks currently makes any other defensemen expendable. Over half the defense is still way too raw to be making moves based on expendability.

Yeah, but this is Benning we're talking about here. He probably thinks Tryamkin/Stetcher's play has to make someone expendable, no way he trades his best dman, no way he trades Gudbranson, Edler has a NTC, Sbisa has minimal value so that leaves Hutton as one of his few trade chips if he wants to acquire a forward.

HORVATALLSTAR

Jan 29, 2017
who would the Canucks have to give up for Gaudreau. Horvat and Gaudreau had great chemistry in the Allstar

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017

I think its sbisa, they put him with tanev to make him look better

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'm not going to write out a whole list..but generally,I think the criteria would an"A level " forward..which would fit into the age bracket of the younger core 18-24...As I mentioned earlier, even a player like Landeskog.(a high quality player that needs a change of scenery).....The Canucks may have to add in certain cases.

I don't see any Leaf proposal I like...as I'm sure you don't like Tanevs price tag..no worries..There's other options for both teams..
I don't type this to be argumentative, but there is no list to type. Following the criteria, a 20 year old ELC player on a 55 point rookie pace that can play wing and center. You see, when you start to compile that list, you quickly realize that teams that have players matching that criteria would quickly decline moving them fo a 27 year old player. It's a cap world, so excellent young players with years of control are extremely important.

Reactions: AndreRoy

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada

Pending Benning doesn't move a guy this season to get his 20 goal scorer like rumored I feel that next season at the deadline/draft would be best and that's if nobody that's younger/a rookie regresses defensive wise.

Moving Edler/Tanev at the deadline for example would fetch some great pieces. Although like I said that's if everyone including Hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin continue to improve and maybe Juolevi makes it.

If possible I'd move Sbisa, Gudbranson this deadline and then sign depth at UFA where needed.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Interesting article here.

It seems like Chris Tanev has been connected to the Leafs forever, but the materialization of an actual deal will come down to the return the Canucks can extract from Toronto. Tanev’s been regarded as an excellent trade chip for quite a while, but in speaking with my Athletic colleague Jason Botchford, it seems the 28-year-old’s market value has fallen off a cliff...

“I’ve seen some of the offers after last season and they weren’t anywhere close to what you’d expect for a top half of your lineup defencemen. The Leafs tried to unload Matt Martin on the Canucks for him and I heard Tampa tried to do same with Dotchin."

An analytical look at Tanev’s performance this season suggests there’s likely a third factor working against him in his rapidly declining play.

For now, it would appear as if the Canucks have missed the boat on trading Tanev. Not only are the recent offers rubbish, but his play has taken a severe turn for the worse.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Never listen to anything Botchford says. That being said, yes Canucks should have traded Tanev already, makes 0 sense to me to keep him around just to play with Hughes or OJ. Those guys are going to have their struggles at the NHL whenever they make that step or with whomever they are paired with.

Not capitalizing on trading Tanev seems like the norm for Canucks management tho. For a rebuilding team they haven't tried to stack up with draft picks by moving players. Yes we got Goldy and Dahlen, but we failed to move Miller or Hamhuis. Likely wont move at least 1 of Tanev or Edler.

Love my Canucks, disagree with not moving assets they have or had that could have brought back a decent return to help the rebuild

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
You do have to think Hughes for sure and likely Juolevi will be on the roster next season which makes me think they are going to move some guys.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I don't type this to be argumentative, but there is no list to type. Following the criteria, a 20 year old ELC player on a 55 point rookie pace that can play wing and center. You see, when you start to compile that list, you quickly realize that teams that have players matching that criteria would quickly decline moving them fo a 27 year old player. It's a cap world, so excellent young players with years of control are extremely important.
You'd have to look at it the opposite way too though. How many young dmen would be available even for a player as good as Nylander? If you have a good young dman you don't trade them.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
You'd have to look at it the opposite way too though. How many young dmen would be available even for a player as good as Nylander? If you have a good young dman you don't trade them.

The Leafs could still get somebody a lot younger with many more years of team control and a far better future career outlook than Tanev for Nylander. Leaf fans drastically overrate Nylander’s value but to say Tanev brings him back is to drastically overrate Tanev’s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad