Rumor: Chris Tanev in play; Leafs interested

Shanejones

Jun 12, 2018
Eastern passage
Some Canucks fans felt your offer of 25OA, 52OA, and a 2019 2nd was fair -- for those that liked it, I'm curious who you would've wanted the Canucks to select at those two spots.

Also, I don't see Chris Tanev being moved unless the Canucks bring in another D-man via trade or free agency, otherwise this could be revisited at trade deadline day. I imagine 2019 picks may be of interest as the draft is in Vancouver, but the Canucks really filled the weakness in their prospect pool this past weekend acquiring Quinn Hughes & Jett Woo, so who knows.
I agree 100% with you and I even think the same pkg except make 1,2 round picks in 2019 and a 2/3 ed in 2020 based on games played if injuries are still an issue, something along those lines would be fair I think

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Sedinsquared

Apr 22, 2014
Some Canucks fans felt your offer of 25OA, 52OA, and a 2019 2nd was fair -- for those that liked it, I'm curious who you would've wanted the Canucks to select at those two spots.

Also, I don't see Chris Tanev being moved unless the Canucks bring in another D-man via trade or free agency, otherwise this could be revisited at trade deadline day. I imagine 2019 picks may be of interest as the draft is in Vancouver, but the Canucks really filled the weakness in their prospect pool this past weekend acquiring Quinn Hughes & Jett Woo, so who knows.

I would have been happy with
25- Valeno
52- Addison

Reactions: THE Green Man

Shanejones

Jun 12, 2018
Eastern passage

I agree 100% with you and I even think the same pkg except make 1,2 end picks in 2019 and a 2/3 ed in 2020 based on games played if injuries are still an issue, something along those lines would be fair I think

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

I would probably offer the same package of next years picks...if we sign Tavares, i would definately offer it to make it happen right now.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Tanev's value in insulating a guy like Hughes or Juolevi is far greater than a mid-late 20s pick and a B prospect and you're seriously overrating a ~25th overall pick if you suggest otherwise. The only player taken 25-30 that is an actively better asset than Tanev is Evgeny Kuznetsov.

No **** you deal him if you get good payment, but I don't want to throw the two aforementioned young defencemen next to Gudbranson and Biega.
Tanev's value is around what Hamonic got by the best estimation that anyone is going to be able to give - the market fluctuates but no one on HF is going to be privy to GM conversations in order to track it, so we use the most recent comparable to estimate. So, a 1st and two 2nds from a team that is expecting to make the playoffs is your benchmark. Tanev is a better player than Hamonic, but in the same tier and whether or not you want to admit it he's measurably injury prone so only an idiot is going to not account for that in the purchase price. At the point that you responded to my post, we're no longer talking about the #25 pick, as that draft is now over, so if it's a package of picks including a 1st rounder, it's 2019 which is the same scenario that CGY traded for Hamonic in

you can veterans to throw to the wolves as UFA's who will be cheap and on whatever term contract that you want to insulate Hughes or Juolevi, keeping Tanev to make your team a little better while it's bad at the expense of having more high upside assets that have a chance of peaking when the team is good is just poor asset management, but have at it if that's what you want to do

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't the Leafs were remotely interested in giving up their first pick for Tanev. Leafs are going with about seven rookies or near rookies on the squad this year, so it's not like they are true contenders.
And really would the often injured Tanev really make the Leafs that much better. If Canucks true want good trade value for Tanev, he has to play well and be healthy at TDL, when a contender might trade for him for a final push. This fascination about the Leafs being the only trade partner, or the fascination that the Leafs even want Tanev is kinda....silly.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So apparently Woo will be Tanev 2.0 if he hits his potential.

Cool.

Now the draft is over, does Toronto have a hockey trade to offer for Tanev? Johnson/Miller, Koekkoek/Dotchkin and a late pick is the offer to beat.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
there's always outliers man, betting on your guy being one is almost always a bad bet, probably especially with the health factors in Tanev's case. Bet the averages

And I disagree on the "he's worth more to the Canucks right now" stuff. All he's doing for you right now is keeping your draft picks from being higher, if I'm the Canucks right now, I'm targetting Jack Hughes next season as the center piece to your future. Keeping Tanev is a double whammy of hurting your future in his own diminishing value and maybe helping enough to keep you out of the basement
Another load of bs. Not every team have the mentality of tanking. If they do they won't be attracting many players cause that is a losers mentality, and not where players want to go.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Apparently Quinn Hughes is capable of playing either the right or left side, and has regularly switched places throughout his career...he's also determined to make the Canucks ASAP, according to his draft interview....Not sure it will happen but have the love the confidence. Yet if Hughes and Juolevi were to both make the Canucks as rookie d-men, then Tanev's value would be higher than ever for the Canucks.

So it's going to take an exceptional offer that blows their socks off, if they're going to move him and expose their blueline.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Another load of bs. Not every team have the mentality of tanking. If they do they won't be attracting many players cause that is a losers mentality, and not where players want to go.
the core pieces for winning teams come from the draft, typically very high in the draft, with picks they got from being very bad. Welcome to salary cap sports

Jan 21, 2018
Nucks fans always underrate the value of a 1st round pick, always asking for more in order to trade Tanev.

Could have had Liljegren last year, or Veleno/Sandin this year etc.

If/When Tanev misses another 10+ games this season, what's he worth next year, does he still get a 1st with his contract expiring shortly?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I still can't for the life of me get all the hate for JB. Since he took over we have the best prospect pool in the league according to various experts
He traded Burr for a slam dunk top player. Jake is looking like exactly what we all had hoped for. He signed Louie who hasn't lived up to his deal. Not JB fault. He had 17 offers higher then Vans. And the way the contract is set up is genius. Sure make fun of a guy because he is socially awkward. All that does is speak to the pathetic character of the people who make fun of him. I hope karma bites you in the ass
Yes JB has created a good prospect pool but that is literally he only good thing he’s done. He’s made one really good trade in getting Dahlen. Some average wins in Baertschi and Granlund. A net of nothing in his Goldobin trade. And then lost trades in getting: Vey, Sutter, Sbisa, Gudbrandson, Clendenning, Dowd. He’s shown an enamoration with throwing in draft picks for no reason like the Pouliot trade. And further has no ability to acquire draft picks for rentals by not selling Hamhuis or Vrbata and getting just an AHL player in Motte. Then his valuations on players contracts is atrocious: Ericsson, Gudbrandson, Sbisa, Dorsett.

If you’re also trying to sell that Virtanen has lived up to his draft status you are losing it. That high of a draft pick should have had a lot larger of an impact in the NHL by now. I still like Jake and hope he can have a breakout year but just look at Ehlers and Nylander and how they’ve done as your baseline of what a top end pick could have done.
Oh i get the reasoning if Hughes plays this upcoming season, but rushing D is risky (speaking from experience with Rielly/Schenn)...so if Hughes doesn't play next season, that burns another year off Tanev's value. Again, i have no idea what the plan is for Hughes development.
I think we have to keep Tanev now as well. Since we drafted Woo, my interest in Rasnanen has dropped a little. Additionally he can be paired with Hughes or Juolevi this year and really shelter and mentor. If Hughes doesn’t come this year, Tanev is paired with Juolevi and then the following year with Hughes and sold as a rental at the TDL afterwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad