Player Discussion Chris Tanev (4 years, 4.5m AAV)

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Someone tell me how I should feel about this.
Scared in years 3 and 4. :laugh:

Great D man when healthy. Hope you have a D partner to keep him from getting crushed into the boards. Being paired with Hughes limited his contact with the boards as Hughes would do most of the breakouts. The reason he constantly got hurt in Vancouver prior to Quinn was because he took so much contract along the boards in his own zone. I wish him well. Vancouver probably only probably willing to do 2-3 years term because of his wear on his tires. He is a hell of a D man, I hope he stays healthy for you guys!

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
As a Canucks fan. I think he would look better beside someone fast exciting the zone. Maybe a Hanifin? can eat up minutes and be a good defensive pair?

Training mode:
Gio - Andersson
Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - x

Heavy lifting/conserve Gio and Tanev:
Hanifin - Andersson
Gio/Valimaki - Tanev
Valimaki/Gio - x

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Tanev has had a number of unfortunate injuries but he did play all 69 Vancouver games and 17 playoff games in the 2019-20 season.
He was hurt and expected to miss the next game before the pause. Likely a multi-week injury lol. So technically "healthy all season" :laugh:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
As a Canucks fan. I think he would look better beside someone fast exciting the zone. Maybe a Hanifin? can eat up minutes and be a good defensive pair?
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the following pairings:

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki/Kylington-??

Giordano and Andersson played well together when Brodie was recovering from his on-ice blackout.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
"but for passing the torch to Hanifin, Valimaki and Andersson, Tanev is better IMO."

Agreed!

We (Canucks) can not replace this guy and what he did for Hughes last year, and the team for a decade.

This makes the Canucks so much worse. This guy is a warrior glue type who has the ability to play against anyone. Every team needs a top 4 guy who can do the heavy lifting and keep up. Canucks will miss this guy so much.

Enjoy him. He is a great teammate and a very good player!!!

It will be years before the Canucks can find another one like him

Congrats- but a sad day for this fan.

Reactions: Fig

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the following pairings:

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki/Kylington-??

Giordano and Andersson played well together when Brodie was recovering from his on-ice blackout.
Can Andersson handle those minutes?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He was hurt and expected to miss the next game before the pause. Likely a multi-week injury lol. So technically "healthy all season" :laugh:
Travis Hamonic, who Tanev is replacing, played 50 games this past season and 69 in the previous season. The Flames are used to having a fill-in in the 4th d spot. Tanev is better than Hamonic so that's an upgrade.

I expect Calgary's top two defensive pairings to be:

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev

with Valimaki and Kylington playing on the left side of the 3rd pairing... barring a Kylington trade.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space

Hanifin is anything but fast haha. Good skater but no acceleration at all.

He sounds like a better Hamonic, I have liked what I’ve seen from him whenever we play the Canucks though. Hope he stays healthy. I think we’re gonna need to add a d man to shore up depth ( Stecher?) considering Tanevs injury history.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I'm gonna miss Tanev, take care of him! He needs new teeth. Put him with someone who can skate and let him work his magic. He's what let Hughes go off on some... offensive zone adventures this season, very similar to how Willie Mitchell and Dan Hamhuis babysat the blue line when Kevin Bieksa forgot how to play defense.

Reactions: geebaan and Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
IMO, another way to consider it, I think tanev is injury prone in the same way Klefbom is. Not enough talent on the back end and broke the guys exceeding the weight limit several times over trying to carry the D corpse of their teams for many years. I think Tanev will be reasonably fine health wise in Calgary with more help and load distribution.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ledge And Dairy

Giordano? Lol

I mean right now, my protection list would be:

FWD: Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, than 3/4 of Backlund, Bennett, Mangiapane, Dube

Defense: Hanifin, Andersson, one of Giordano/Kylington

I doubt Seattle is taking a big contract off our hands. I'd take a chance on one of Bennett/Mangiapane/Dube
Not if we protect all 3 and expose Backlund which I could totally see happening. I think if left open Seattle cant ignore him, the available centers next year will be very thin.

Ledge And Dairy

This year, yeah he will probably be paired with Hanifin or Gio most of the season (barring an injury ofc). In 21/22 I would expect his main partner to be Valimaki, hes basically our version of Hughes and could have similar potential. Really hard to tell when hes out for a year though, prior to the injury (and Hughes break out yearl they were considered neck and neck.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Everyone in here complaining is gonna watch this guy and realize how wrong they are about him. He was a wonderful partner and mentor to Hughes, and when not completely over worked or playing with trash he’s a great defenseman. The trick for him is just staying healthy.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
With Valimaki getting games in now my take is we will have five top 4 dmen to start next season.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I had no problem with Markstrom leaving if he wanted 6x6 with an NMC. That's his price? Okay, Marky. Thanks for your service, over to Demko.

But this one really hurts. Tanev is (or was...) the best defensive defenseman the Canucks had by a mile. MS already mentioned the analytics split regarding Hughes. A huge part of Tanev and Edler's fragility is because they were badly overworked and over-relied upon. Until Hughes showed up, those two were the only 2 dmen the team had who could reliably play defense, and they were both absolutely played into the ground for years. They were the default top pair on both offense and defense. Once Hughes actually gave them another option and took some of the insane pressure off, suddenly Tanev stayed healthy and had his best year in a long time. Yeah, play the guy 30-35 minutes a night feeding him the toughest matchups game after game, and he'll wear down. Give him second pairing minutes and don't expect him to constantly save everyone else's bacon? He'll be well worth the acquisition. I'd have signed him in Vancouver for that contract in a second. And that's not just out of fondness for his years of service here.

Dammit.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
I think opposing fans comments are the best way to determine a signing more than anything. Canucks fans seem devastated, that's a good thing. Tanev is a rock and he's not extremely old or signed for crazy term. His durability is a problem, but when he's in he provides something unlike any Flames defenseman in quite some time. Just a pure shutdown force. We don't have this archetype of defender on the team right now. I really like this group of Giordano, Valimaki, Hanifin, Andersson, Tanev and Kylington. Four of them being 23 or younger.

I think BT probably assumed Brodie would be coming back, and when he decided to go to Toronto instead he pounced on Tanev right away and i'm not mad at it.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
@crackdown44 Boston Pizza still on?

8919142A-201B-4217-A698-100F96F8DFDD.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad