Player Discussion Chris Tanev (4 years, 4.5m AAV)

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Valimaki and Dube and Kylington need new contracts next year guys btw...

They won't break bank but it would be wise not to wreck all of our cap space on over 30 players.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Yeah, not happy about this one... Because I know not much about this and I'm just reading the posts.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Flames fans: shake up the team!

Also flames fans: why didn’t we keep the same players?!?
To be fair the shake up we called for was with the forwards. I think everyone wanted Brodie resigned as he was not the issue

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I had a feeling this might happen. Not much to choose from with regards to available NHL established RD d-men that wouldn't involve a trade and giving up players by Treliving, or UFA's that we could afford, or were any good defensively and can slot into Calgary's top four d-pairings

Would prefer 2-3 year term but it is what it is. Hopefully his play doesn't decline during the term of the contract.

This analysis from Elite Prospects:

A two-way defenceman at the top of his class in intellect, composure, and decision-making. Elite-level hockey IQ pairs seamlessly with smooth skating and quick puck movement. Defensively assertive and diligent; keeps the opposition to the outside and along the boards, and doesn't give much to work with up the middle. Finds key lanes and takes them away proactively. Good first pass and can provide support offensively. Chris Tanev is the total package defenceman that can offer positives in all three zones due to his calm disposition and superb poise.

Could pair well with Hanifin.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Valimaki and Dube and Kylington need new contracts next year guys btw...

They won't break bank but it would be wise not to wreck all of our cap space on over 30 players.

Good point. We do have some space from Ryan expiring, the Stone buyout penalty being over and Rittich being done (though we may have to replace with equally expensive).

Brad would be smart to poach some cheap 1 year UFA forwards now.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He may be the Hamonic that we never had. Nuck's fans are saying he is good defensively...we don't have one of those.

I agree. It’s why I am mad we missed getting Ryan Murray. I don’t really know who actually played good “defence” for us last season.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Expansion draft... someone’s gotta go

Giordano? Lol

I mean right now, my protection list would be:

FWD: Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, than 3/4 of Backlund, Bennett, Mangiapane, Dube

Defense: Hanifin, Andersson, one of Giordano/Kylington

I doubt Seattle is taking a big contract off our hands. I'd take a chance on one of Bennett/Mangiapane/Dube

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Now if only Kylington or Valimaki can learn to play RD.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I agree with this.

Because Monahan, Hamonic, Hanifin, and to an extent Giordano couldn't defend.

Monahan and Hanifin are still here, Giordano is older, and we're still in need of a #6D

Stecher would actually be solid. And it’s true, often we could not defend or stop teams from scoring. Calgary is an easy team to play against.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Seriously, did Calgary's amateur scouts suck all the talent out of their pro scouts?

It really seems like while the amateur scouts seem to hit more than they miss, it's the complete opposite when it comes to their pro scouts.

The Flames are paying Tanev $4.5M to play 60 games a year knowing full well he's likely going to miss the other 20+. Might as well prorate his salary to $6M.

Infuriating.

Veritas

Apr 7, 2020
Injuries, as many have stated, is a possible concern. However, a healthy Tanev can still play at the sex of a #2 defenseman.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Giordano? Lol

FWD: Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, than 3/4 of Backlund, Bennett, Mangiapane, Dube

I doubt Seattle is taking a big contract off our hands. I'd take a chance on one of Bennett/Mangiapane/Dube

Don’t Lucic and Gio have NMC?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Giordano? Lol

Lucic agreed to be unprotected?

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Seriously, did Calgary's amateur scouts suck all the talent out of their pro scouts?

It really seems like while the amateur scouts seem to hit more than they miss, it's the complete opposite when it comes to their pro scouts.

The Flames are paying Tanev $4.5M to play 60 games a year knowing full well he's likely going to miss the other 20+. Might as well prorate his salary to $6M.

Infuriating.
Can you, by chance, see what the winning lotto numbers are with that crystal ball of yours?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad