Player Discussion Chris Kreider

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
WIthout giving it too much thought, off the top of my head this is roughly my tiering:

Tier 1/Mount Rushmore: Boucher, Bathgate, Leetch, Lundqvist
Tier 2: Bill Cook, Johnson, Gilbert, Park, Giacomin, Ratelle, Messier, Richter
Tier 3: Bun Cook, Seibert, Hextall, Worsley, Howell, Vanbiesbrouck, Graves, Jagr, Panarin, Fox, Shesterkin, etc.
Tier 4: Kerr, Laprade, Dillon, Hadfield, Greschner, Gretzky, McDonagh, Kreider, etc.

I'm sure I'm missing half a dozen players in each of tier 3 and 4, but that's the rough idea. I think Kreider can easily jump into tier 3 (if he isn't already there), which puts him in the top 20-ish conversation for sure.
Messier is definitely tier 1

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Over the last 3 years, Kreider is 7th in the league in goals scored:

1712780527827.png

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I tihnk you have a really good list there. I would switch Gilbert and Bathgate....but thats a fine line too.

I think I would put Kreder in Tier 3
Greg Gilbert was not that great for us plus he hurt Barry Becks shoulder 😂

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
WIthout giving it too much thought, off the top of my head this is roughly my tiering:

Tier 1/Mount Rushmore: Boucher, Bathgate, Leetch, Lundqvist
Tier 2: Bill Cook, Johnson, Gilbert, Park, Giacomin, Ratelle, Messier, Richter
Tier 3: Bun Cook, Seibert, Hextall, Worsley, Howell, Vanbiesbrouck, Graves, Jagr, Panarin, Fox, Shesterkin, etc.
Tier 4: Kerr, Laprade, Dillon, Hadfield, Greschner, Gretzky, McDonagh, Kreider, etc.

I'm sure I'm missing half a dozen players in each of tier 3 and 4, but that's the rough idea. I think Kreider can easily jump into tier 3 (if he isn't already there), which puts him in the top 20-ish conversation for sure.
How many more seasons of excellence before you move Fox up? I would say he and panarin are both knocking on the door of the next tier.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
4 straight games with a clutch powerplay goal after Brooks annual "Where. Is. Chris?" article. Good time to get hot.
Some places where Chris is:

-7th in goals the last three years
-3rd in goals by a Ranger all-time
-1st all-time in goals facing elimination
-The crease, literally always, taking abuse
-Brooksie's head, rent free
-The rafters at MSG

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
How many more seasons of excellence before you move Fox up? I would say he and panarin are both knocking on the door of the next tier.
Totally agree. It’s hard to say for sure. The tiers are obviously not super well defined and are fairly fluid , but tier 2 is basically the caliber of getting your number retired. I’d say a couple more seasons at this level/a handful more productive seasons as a Ranger, plus some good playoff runs, and they (and Igor) are right there in tier 2 without a doubt. Or, if those three lead us to a cup win this year, that might be enough on its own.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Some places where Chris is:

-7th in goals the last three years
-3rd in goals by a Ranger all-time
-1st all-time in goals facing elimination
-The crease, literally always, taking abuse
-Brooksie's head, rent free
-The rafters at MSG

I was willing to give him my collarbone after he took a slapshot from Mika to it in the 1st against the Isles. Between that and Zibanejad leaving the game we dodged a few bullets.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I was willing to give him my collarbone after he took a slapshot from Mika to it in the 1st against the Isles. Between that and Zibanejad leaving the game we dodged a few bullets.
Especially Zibanejad. Every time he gets hit I'm like "oh boy there goes his head again."

As much as Zibanejad grates me, we don't have any form of replacement at that position.

At 5v5, he's still better than -at worst- half the centers in the game.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Especially Zibanejad. Every time he gets hit I'm like "oh boy there goes his head again."

As much as Zibanejad grates me, we don't have any form of replacement at that position.

At 5v5, he's still better than -at worst- half the centers in the game.

The Mika criticism got a little out of hand mid-season (pointing the gun at myself here) especially for a team that never left 1st place in the division even while struggling. He has the massive short sample upside that can win us a Cup if it hits at the right time. We saw an example of it in 2022.

If Mika and Chris play like they did in the Carolina series 2 years ago, look out. Imo, its time for them to cement their legacies. They will never have a better chance than this.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Kreider. Better stats, home grown, probably life-long Ranger. But... Graves universally adored by the fans, Kreider not so much.

Which is so odd to me. But then again, I don't believe Larry Brooks was on the Rangers beat when Graves played. So fans opinions were not swayed by what they read from Brooksie.

Did. You. See. Adam.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Which is so odd to me. But then again, I don't believe Larry Brooks was on the Rangers beat when Graves played. So fans opinions were not swayed by what they read from Brooksie.

Did. You. See. Adam.
100%.

Which is kind of stupid because I'm convinced they're the same person.
I don't disagree. But people will argue Graves was a more "heart and soul, lay it all out on the line kinda player." It's so odd.

Reactions: Machinehead

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Today is Chris Kreider's 33rd birthday. This means:

-He's cooked.
-Somebody on the Rangers is still older than me.
-He's a Taurus, which tracks.
Even the coaches are younger than me... but I'm also a Taurus though I'm ignorant of what that is supposed to mean. I'll be 62 on Thursday.

Kreider is an all time great NYR and if he finishes his career ANYWHERE but this team... WE RIOT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad