Player Discussion Chris Kreider Part II: Manimal

Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Sometimes I get the feeling that in 2022, some fans will be telling us that next season is when Kreider will finally become a great player. Then again, a few here already believe him to be an elite player.

Elite = a select part of a group that is superior to the rest in terms of ability or qualities.

By definition, you are not elite if there are 30-50 (perhaps more) players you would trade even-up for said elite player.

In a few days, he will be 27. Calling him young and improving no longer cuts it.

I remain one of the suckers who believes he may be one of those very few late-bloomers, but time is running out, and quickly.

Meanwhile: NHL.com - Stats

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Sometimes I get the feeling that in 2022, some fans will be telling us that next season is when Kreider will finally become a great player. Then again, a few here already believe him to be an elite player.

Elite = a select part of a group that is superior to the rest in terms of ability or qualities.

By definition, you are not elite if there are 30-50 (perhaps more) players you would trade even-up for said elite player.

In a few days, he will be 27. Calling him young and improving no longer cuts it.

I remain one of the suckers who believes he may be one of those very few late-bloomers, but time is running out, and quickly.

Meanwhile: NHL.com - Stats

He wasn't a great player last season? He led the team in goals and was like top 10 at his position.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
He wasn't a great player last season? He led the team in goals and was like top 10 at his position.

The team was way better with him in the lineup and it looked like he became more of a leader. It's not his fault he had that ridiculous injury that really had nothing to do with getting hurt on the ice.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I assume you mean 2 seasons ago?

His career number is .28 goals per game. Do you consider that great?

He projects as a 45 point per season player? That's great?

Do you understand how many players in today's NHL crush those numbers?

He's a good player. Great? Not even in the neghborhood.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
You're missing something. The Rangers season is over. I thought that was kind of obvious.

The 17-18 NHL season is still going on. I thought that was kind of obvious.

Whoever wins the cup in a few weeks will not be last years champion. Unless its the Pens again, I guess.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
He's like one of the best possession players in the league. That is elite

@Machinehead can explain this better than I can

He is a great possession player who scores 45 points a season. If you think that is the mark of a great or elite player, we simply disagree.

Elite players end up in the Hall of Fame.

Do you think that's where Kreider is headed?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He is a great possession player who scores 45 points a season. If you think that is the mark of a great or elite player, we simply disagree.

Elite players end up in the Hall of Fame.

Do you think that's where Kreider is headed?
There's a distinction. He's arguably an elite shot attempt player. That doesn't make him an elite player. He's arguably elite at that aspect of the game. There are players who are "all-around" elite, (ex: future Hall of Famers, which I suppose is your definition of elite), and there are guys who are elite at more granular aspects of the game.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
There's a distinction. He's arguably an elite shot attempt player. That doesn't make him an elite player. He's arguably elite at that aspect of the game. There are players who are "all-around" elite, (ex: future Hall of Famers, which I suppose is your definition of elite), and there are guys who are elite at more granular aspects of the game.

There are elite face-off men. Are they elite players?

There are elite shot-blockers. Are they elite players?

If someone is to be described as an elite NHL forward, they are not 45 point players.

I'm unclear as to why this isn't a universal way of evaluation of the total player.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

There are posters here who disagree with you.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
There are elite face-off men. Are they elite players?

There are elite shot-blockers. Are they elite players?

If someone is to be described as an elite NHL forward, they are not 45 point players.

I'm unclear as to why this isn't a universal way of evaluation of the total player.

I know you know the answer to this, but there is a real desire to ensure that the idea that possession trumps all else becomes widely accepted, even in situations where it is clear that the possession to points translation just ain't going to happen.

I love Kreider by the way. Not an elite player by any stretch though, other than in short spurts where he dominates games.

Reactions: Off Sides
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad