Pre-Game Talk: Chicago vs. St. Louis - 01.22.13 - Home Opener! - 7:30 CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Using +/- after two games to conclude that a pairing has been playing badly... :rolleyes:

With some of the horrific goals Emery gave up, I think we can give Keith and Seabrook a break for their earth-shatteringly terrible minus ones.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Using +/- after two games to conclude that a pairing has been playing badly... :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of +/-, but I like what it can give you an idea about during a LARGE sample size. Looking at one after 2 games is as dumb at looking at a batting average or OBP in that same time frame. Completely worthless.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Hitchcock is saying some pretty nice things about us.

@ChrisKuc
Blues coach Ken Hitchcock on strategy to stop #Blackhawks' Jonathan Toews and Marian Hossa when they're on ice together: "Punt?"

@ChrisKuc
Blues coach Ken Hitchcock on facing #Blackhawks at the United Center: "We usually get our ass kicked in this building."

@TramyersCSN
Ken Hitchcock on UC, CHI: "This is the building, in the Western Conference, to play in. This is the "it" city to play in." #Blackhawks

@TramyersCSN
#Blues coach Ken Hitchcock called Toews and Hossa "probably the best pair in the league right now." #Blackhawks

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
:laugh:

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of +/-, but I like what it can give you an idea about during a LARGE sample size. Looking at one after 2 games is as dumb at looking at a batting average or OBP in that same time frame. Completely worthless.

Yeah, pretty much man. Classic fiddy post though. It should be enshrined with the rest of his gems in the HF50 message board post hall of fame.

committedindian86

Bedard SZN
Jun 7, 2010
Chicago, IL
Aside from CC being on his game tonight if we have any chance of winning,the OTHER BIG REQUIREMENT is a REQUIRED much better performance from the $11.3 MILLION cap hit numero uno D-pair combo...After 2GP both are -1 ,Seabrook has only 1A,Keith has NO POINTS ---Keith has just 2 shots on goal and Seabrook just 1 shot on goal--and so I ask: THIS is giving us our money's worth? THis is "impacting" and/or "difference-making"? This is affecting any way shape or form the 11 goals in2GP we have as a team offense? This is an "active defense" moving up into the play? This is suffocating "shutdown" D which with our clearly effectie offense ought to make them more like +3 guys instead of -1 guys? In short-ARE they going to show up and play like they are worth those big bucks ,OR merely do the minimum required while counting the balances in their fat bank accounts? TIME for our top pair D-men to SHOW UP and IMPACT the game not just leisurely watch things develop and kill the clock ---DO SOMETHING to justify those big $$$ paid as our top 2 D-men! Yes we won 2 games-but HARDLY because they had much to do with it...So far,P-poor,or at best MEDIOCRE NON-IMPACT from them ...(weel we gotta have some whipping boys,don't we--even after 2 wins --but after 2 mulligams time they SHOWED UP and played to the level we expect for that big wad of $$$ paid them... also NEVER going to scoremuch if you don't fire away on net and do not actively ATTACK from the back- end --obviously these 2 do not subscribe to the Erik Karlsson handbook for impacting a game by being "active" and attacking,or if they wish to do the opposite and stay back and only react, then do not turn pucks over ,do not commit failures to clear,focus on proper positioning and where the puck is and s liklely to go,and do notreact too late...whether attacking or defending ,do it with enthusiasm ,not just another day another job to endure with laclustre minimum effort and clock punching as if doing just enough not to hurt the team too much is
justifying the $$$ outlay and "reputation" will suffice---NO --at some point you gotta IMPACT and be a difference-maker --passing the buck to the forwards to win games "big" so that your own miniscule contribution gets overlooked is a dangerous reliance-- people WILL NOTICE ---so even after 2 wins without much help from 2 and 7,I'm already calling them out to bring their"A" games tonight- another mediocre "C" game from each of them simply willnot suffice...

-Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind

icekoob

4th Liner
May 16, 2010
VALPO/chicago
Hawks have superior offense, Blews have superior goaltending(assuming Halak starts). I expect a real close, hard hitting game. Gotta keep CC's confidence going and a win tonight will certainly do that. Hoping to silence all these Blews fans that keep saying they're the best in the West :p

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Hitchcock is saying some pretty nice things about us.

@ChrisKuc
Blues coach Ken Hitchcock on strategy to stop #Blackhawks' Jonathan Toews and Marian Hossa when they're on ice together: "Punt?"

@ChrisKuc
Blues coach Ken Hitchcock on facing #Blackhawks at the United Center: "We usually get our ass kicked in this building."

@TramyersCSN
Ken Hitchcock on UC, CHI: "This is the building, in the Western Conference, to play in. This is the "it" city to play in." #Blackhawks

@TramyersCSN
#Blues coach Ken Hitchcock called Toews and Hossa "probably the best pair in the league right now." #Blackhawks

Translation: Toews and Hossa are going to spend the evening along with the rest of our forwards getting hit, held, and battling for the puck on the boards. Hitchcock don't put up with no bull****.

ObeyPerry

Sep 5, 2011
Chicago, IL
Translation: Toews and Hossa are going to spend the evening along with the rest of our forwards getting hit, held, and battling for the puck on the boards. Hitchcock don't put up with no bull****.

Meh. Refs have been tougher so far this year on that clutch and grab BS. Lets hope they enforce it tonight. Otherwise I'm going to be yawning alot.

deytookerjaabs

Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Meh. Refs have been tougher so far this year on that clutch and grab BS. Lets hope they enforce it tonight. Otherwise I'm going to be yawning alot.

Yeah, but they don't have to clutch and grab too much if they play smart enough, Hitchcock teams excel at making sure a body is ready for the opposing puck carrier even before he has the puck and he places the most emphasis on this philosophy when they go up against skilled forwards. I can appreciate the effectiveness of it but my appreciation ends there as I'm not a big fan of ongoing board battles and neutral zone chess matches. I think the Blues have grown a bit offensively in the past couple years and will be more fun to watch with the addition of Tarasenko.

Steve Larmer

Oct 17, 2008
Aside from CC being on his game tonight if we have any chance of winning,the OTHER BIG REQUIREMENT is a REQUIRED much better performance from the $11.3 MILLION cap hit numero uno D-pair combo...After 2GP both are -1 ,Seabrook has only 1A,Keith has NO POINTS ---Keith has just 2 shots on goal and Seabrook just 1 shot on goal--and so I ask: THIS is giving us our money's worth? THis is "impacting" and/or "difference-making"? This is affecting any way shape or form the 11 goals in2GP we have as a team offense? This is an "active defense" moving up into the play? This is suffocating "shutdown" D which with our clearly effectie offense ought to make them more like +3 guys instead of -1 guys? In short-ARE they going to show up and play like they are worth those big bucks ,OR merely do the minimum required while counting the balances in their fat bank accounts? TIME for our top pair D-men to SHOW UP and IMPACT the game not just leisurely watch things develop and kill the clock ---DO SOMETHING to justify those big $$$ paid as our top 2 D-men! Yes we won 2 games-but HARDLY because they had much to do with it...So far,P-poor,or at best MEDIOCRE NON-IMPACT from them ...(weel we gotta have some whipping boys,don't we--even after 2 wins --but after 2 mulligams time they SHOWED UP and played to the level we expect for that big wad of $$$ paid them... also NEVER going to scoremuch if you don't fire away on net and do not actively ATTACK from the back- end --obviously these 2 do not subscribe to the Erik Karlsson handbook for impacting a game by being "active" and attacking,or if they wish to do the opposite and stay back and only react, then do not turn pucks over ,do not commit failures to clear,focus on proper positioning and where the puck is and s liklely to go,and do notreact too late...whether attacking or defending ,do it with enthusiasm ,not just another day another job to endure with laclustre minimum effort and clock punching as if doing just enough not to hurt the team too much is
justifying the $$$ outlay and "reputation" will suffice---NO --at some point you gotta IMPACT and be a difference-maker --passing the buck to the forwards to win games "big" so that your own miniscule contribution gets overlooked is a dangerous reliance-- people WILL NOTICE ---so even after 2 wins without much help from 2 and 7,I'm already calling them out to bring their"A" games tonight- another mediocre "C" game from each of them simply willnot suffice...

Can I watch a hockey game with you sometime?

deytookerjaabs

Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Carcillo would have been nice to have with Toews and Hossa tonight

Yeah, he adds an element we need against gritty teams but after watching the opportunities Saad created when he was double shifted a couple times in the third period against Phoenix ..:naughty:

When your only starting players over thirty are Sharp, Hossa, Oduya and Rozsival your team's high energy level should be a given.

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Yeah, he adds an element we need against gritty teams but after watching the opportunities Saad created when he was double shifted a couple times in the third period against Phoenix ..:naughty:

When your only starting players over thirty are Sharp, Hossa, and Rozsival your team's high energy level should be a given.

Yeah Saad has been impressive so far. That redirect against Phoenix would have been sick if it went in.

cherrypik

Jun 2, 2010
Mundelein, IL
Enough is enough expecting STL to win the presidents trophy and Stanley Cup. It's only two games. Hossa is outscoring the The Great Ruski, McDonald will get injuried this year(he always does) and Brian Elliot will get lit up tonite....

HawkeyFanatic

Dec 15, 2007
N/A
has noone seen how good keith has been?

he looks like his old self..jumping up and cutting off passes

i dont care about a minus 1, this guy looks good to go to me!

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
has noone seen how good keith has been?

he looks like his old self..jumping up and cutting off passes

i dont care about a minus 1, this guy looks good to go to me!

he has looked much better- seems to h ave that energy back

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Enough is enough expecting STL to win the presidents trophy and Stanley Cup. It's only two games. Hossa is outscoring the The Great Ruski, McDonald will get injuried this year(he always does) and Brian Elliot will get lit up tonite....

Considering they were only 2 points away from winning it last year, it's not much of a stretch. Plus, they are better this year.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008

:sarcasm: Looks like that font is 2-3 sizes smaller than any other post.

Btw, there are drugs to help your mania. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad