Rumor: Chicago considering offer for Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I agree with all of this, but the question I come away asking is 'WTF are we paying Seabrook 6.8 million for, again?' It seems to me the dman with the highest cap hit on the team, shouldn't be somebody you need to shelter.

That's the 6.8 million AAV question.
He's best suited as an offensive defenseman now in my opinion. He was top half in a number of shot related stat categories at home (when Q hid him) and had an average PDO with really high shooting %. With a little better group up front, I think he can be a very effective 2nd pair pair type in my opinion. I think putting him there is the best way to get as many pesos out of the 6.8 as they can.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
So indirectly, Seabrook and his gigantic contract is the reason I prefer Staal over Campbell for a comparable cap hit.

Either makes the team better in a number of areas though.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Wasn't Staal the guy on Toews wing in the 2010 Olympics?

No, he was on Crosby's left wing (by the end of the tournament anyway....they tried pretty much everybody, lol).

Toews was between Richards and Nash in 2010. The line that broke Russia's heart.

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
Not if we get the Rangers version of Eric Staal

God was he awful

Agree but so was Haglin in ANA, Perron in PIT, Kessel in TOR.

Sometimes guys just need a change of scenery. I realize he's older than those guys but I'm not nearly as down on the hawks as you are and I think a guy like this (Richards 2.0) could help the hawks AND himself.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Agree but so was Haglin in ANA, Perron in PIT, Kessel in TOR.

Sometimes guys just need a change of scenery. I realize he's older than those guys but I'm not nearly as down on the hawks as you are and I think a guy like this (Richards 2.0) could help the hawks AND himself.

Kessel wasn't terrible in Toronto.

Last edited:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Staal is a guy I'd like to add. After his last season he can't command that much. Playing 1 year for cheap on the Hawks in the Top 6 could boost him again for a contract next year. He couldn't get picked to Play in Vegas and he has a Chance to win.

If he's smart, he takes the Richards route.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
In all seriousness, I hope Staal is the first target. He addresses more problem areas than Campbell. Campbell does too many things Seabrook is doing with the same minutes which will offset some of the gain from Campbell in my opinion.

Overall, I think Staal does more to help the team. Soupy or no Soupy, the blueline will be vulnerable with so many young guys/rookies and 30+ types.

I like the gamble on Staal better, but I'm not optimistic about the chances of landing him.

Disagree. Not only is 4D a big need for us, but I feel like Hammer really benefitted from the time he got to spend on the blue line with Campbell, and I'd like to think he'd be able to mentor some of the new faces in the same manner. Plus our first passes last year needed some help, particularly in the playoffs. Maybe he can help us remember how to breakout of our own zone

What is really like though, is to just sign both to 1x1 deals

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Now if Stall takes the same deal as Campbell, then maybe one more vet at minimum and the rest young guys and we are ready to go. Looking at our D if they stay healthy and our utilized properly we are in good shape there, its offense that is a big concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad