Rumor: Chicago considering offer for Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Most definitely.... a possible stop gap while the kids mature.

Does anyone else get the impression that this team is going to look a lot different come October?

Hope so. It was the only thing that kept me from losing my mind after the Teravainen deal.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Honestly, I think Panik-Staal-Hossa would wreck as a 3rd line.

Anisimov meshes well with Kane and Panarin.

Whatever, it's Q. If Staal does sign, he's going to bounce around the lineup a fair bit.

I see Anismov and Staal as pretty interchangeable. They're both bigger bodies that play a similar style. I could see Staal developing a similar chemistry with Kane and Panarin because it's a natural fit. I agree with Stall bouncing around the lineup a bit. Could see him getting a long look as Toews LW too.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Not if we get the Rangers version of Eric Staal

God was he awful

This. I talked to Car fans about Staal. Yes at LW it wasn't good. In NY it wasn't good. I don't know how many skill guys he could get to play with. Great 3C though for about 30-35 pts, shaw type.

Gotta get Soupy first and foremost, gotta. DO IT STANNNNNNNNNN!!!!

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Staal had 39pts playing with nothing all year last year. Stick him with Toews and Hossa, or in between Panarin and kane and he is bound to get close to 50 I bet.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hey, I'd be willing to give him a shot if he did some favors for our cap situation. I won't expect great, but I think he can at least be serviceable to even good.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This. I talked to Car fans about Staal. Yes at LW it wasn't good. In NY it wasn't good. I don't know how many skill guys he could get to play with. Great 3C though for about 30-35 pts, shaw type.

Gotta get Soupy first and foremost, gotta. DO IT STANNNNNNNNNN!!!!

Go back and look what Rangers fans were saying about Richards after his last season there.

Playing with better talent in a new environment can do wonders.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Go back and look what Rangers fans were saying about Richards after his last season there.

Playing with better talent in a new environment can do wonders.

This.

Staal would be quite a bit better than Richards.

And Richards was pretty good here.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Now that Roszival solidifies the #4 spot, throw all 2.2 million extra capspace at Staal.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
In all seriousness, I hope Staal is the first target. He addresses more problem areas than Campbell. Campbell does too many things Seabrook is doing with the same minutes which will offset some of the gain from Campbell in my opinion.

Overall, I think Staal does more to help the team. Soupy or no Soupy, the blueline will be vulnerable with so many young guys/rookies and 30+ types.

I like the gamble on Staal better, but I'm not optimistic about the chances of landing him.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
In all seriousness, I hope Staal is the first target. He addresses more problem areas than Campbell. Campbell does too many things Seabrook is doing with the same minutes which will offset some of the gain from Campbell in my opinion.

Overall, I think Staal does more to help the team. Soupy or no Soupy, the blueline will be vulnerable with so many young guys/rookies and 30+ types.

I like the gamble on Staal better, but I'm not optimistic about the chances of landing him.

I completely disagree. IMO, #4D is by far the biggest need on this team and Campbell would be the ideal fit. Stall would be a nice add if he comes cheap but I'd much rather have Campbell.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I completely disagree. IMO, #4D is by far the biggest need on this team and Campbell would be the ideal fit. Stall would be a nice add if he comes cheap but I'd much rather have Campbell.

This.

Campbell makes this team a Cup contender. The Hawks will always have enough scoring. Having Campbell getting the puck out of his zone turns this team back into a possession nightmare.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I agree 4D is the biggest need.

I just don't see Campbell as much as an improvement to the whole as many others do since he's going to have to defend without a shutdown partner in Hjalmarsson. With that forward group, Q is going to want a shutdown pair if he's going to contend in my opinion, and that means 4 and 7 together for numerous shifts when it counts in the spring.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

I just don't see Campbell as much as an improvement to the whole as many others do since he's going to have to defend without a shutdown partner in Hjalmarsson. With that forward group, Q is going to want a shutdown pair if he's going to contend in my opinion, and that means 4 and 7 together for numerous shifts when it counts in the spring.

You don't see Campbell as an upgrade over TVR?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

Assuming relatively consistent play year-over-year, Campbell would immediately be our 3rd best defensemen.

Then Q should be fired.

Simple as that.

If an entire year of watching 2 and 4 amount to less than the sum of their parts, and a playoff series that forced Q to return to the 2-7 combo everybody wanted from week 2 is not enough to get him to start 2-7 and 51-4 together, then the man has lost his grip on reality and should be provided with a pension and disability.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010

Boy I have to go with Soupy slotting our D correctly. He is still good, really good. and he fits us well and cheap. Anyway, either one will help.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Assuming relatively consistent play year-over-year, Campbell would immediately be our 3rd best defensemen.

Then Q should be fired.

Simple as that.

If an entire year of watching 2 and 4 amount to less than the sum of their parts, and a playoff series that forced Q to return to the 2-7 combo everybody wanted from week 2 is not enough to get him to start 2-7 and 51-4 together, then the man has lost his grip on reality and should be provided with a pension and disability.

The bold +infinity.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
You don't see Campbell as an upgrade over TVR?

He's better, no question about it.

It's the sum of the parts that's not adding up as well for me. Either Campbell or Seabrook are going to be taking too many shifts where they shouldn't be against scoring lines. I don't like that and I think that will offset the beauty of the addition on paper. Against weak teams, it's going to look great in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, Campbell improves the blueline and immediately improves a number of deficient areas. I just think Staal, for a comparable contract, accomplishes more for the 21 skaters on the roster.

I'm looking at matching up against playoff teams. There's value in racking up points and allowing Q to mix and match the lineup to find things that work together. In terms of getting out to an early lead in the standings, I do think Campbell does more than Staal would. My concern is contention since they committed to the core group.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hawks were ousted due to their lack of defensive depth. It'd be foolish to not take advantage of this golden opportunity to address that roster deficiency.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Then Q should be fired.

Simple as that.

Q has done so well because he's been able to lean on a shutdown pair from 13'-15'. It's made it easy for him to adjust the lineup to exploit holes in the other team.

If they are going to put 2-7 together again, that's fine as long as he completely shifts around how he rotates lines. It makes Seabrook much more effective but that still leaves a hole in the top pair because of Seabrook's defense. That has me thinking 4 is with Campbell and then Q is rolling out 4 lines, 3 of which have been nothing short of a soup sandwich in terms of offensive production. I see more leaps and guesses with the forward group than I do the d group when I look at Staal vs Campbell.

I'll take 3 effective lines and 1 true shutdown line going into the year instead of 1 sure line and 2 very good pairs. I think there are more options to find something that works at the blueline, mostly because of continuity and experience than I see with the forward group as of today .

If the Toews line and line below Kane can't generate sustained offense, this team isn't going to do much without a effective shutdown pair in my opinion. I think we both agree Seabrook shouldn't be part of the top shutdown pair, and I do not want Campbell part of any pair Q is going to rely on defensively come the spring.

If they get Campbell, I'll be happy about it because they got better. If they get Staal, I'll be happier.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Q has done so well because he's been able to lean on a shutdown pair from 13'-15'. It's made it easy for him to adjust the lineup to exploit holes in the other team.

If they are going to put 2-7 together again, that's fine as long as he completely shifts around how he rotates lines. It makes Seabrook much more effective but that still leaves a hole in the top pair because of Seabrook's defense. That has me thinking 4 is with Campbell and then Q is rolling out 4 lines, 3 of which have been nothing short of a soup sandwich in terms of offensive production. I see more leaps and guesses with the forward group than I do the d group when I look at Staal vs Campbell.

I'll take 3 effective lines and 1 true shutdown line going into the year instead of 1 sure line and 2 very good pairs. I think there are more options to find something that works at the blueline, mostly because of continuity and experience than I see with the forward group as of today .

If the Toews line and line below Kane can't generate sustained offense, this team isn't going to do much without a effective shutdown pair in my opinion. I think we both agree Seabrook shouldn't be part of the top shutdown pair, and I do not want Campbell part of any pair Q is going to rely on defensively come the spring.

If they get Campbell, I'll be happy about it because they got better. If they get Staal, I'll be happier.

I agree with all of this, but the question I come away asking is 'WTF are we paying Seabrook 6.8 million for, again?' It seems to me the dman with the highest cap hit on the team, shouldn't be somebody you need to shelter.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Hawks were ousted due to their lack of defensive depth. It'd be foolish to not take advantage of this golden opportunity to address that roster deficiency.

They were ousted because of the lack of effective depth all over the place. The lines didn't work well even when the d did their job.

Nobody is saying the blueline isn't deficient. It is and it's a significant hole. 4D is the biggest single hole. I think just about everybody agrees on that. I'm saying LW and the middle 6 is brutal. They have 1 pair and one line right now. Staal gives allows two lines to slot better and gives them 4 very good centers. Campbell gives them 2 very good but imperfect pairs.

Chicago's single biggest problem for years was 2C and they overcame that. I want them to address all those areas as a priority, but they can't. I'm only offering an opinion on what I think allows the 18 skaters a night to slot better against quality opponents.

It's not going to matter in my opinion, Campbell is more likely to come to Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad