Rumor: Chicago considering offer for Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Staal sucks a lot now but we don't have any depth so he couldn't hurt if cheap on 3rd line

Wouldn't expect more then 10-15 G and 20-25 A's at most. Would be like Richards 2.0 but not playing with Kane

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I was under impression he sucked when playing wing for Canes ,, I thought that was what I read on there board this past year

I will have to ask but I thought he was bad at it

HawksFan37

Dec 27, 2007
I would rather take a shot on him over a guy like Vanek if it came to that.

If he's willing to sign on the cheap to try to turn his career around, I'd definitely consider it.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
I simply don't see how this is possible cap-wise without moving someone like Kruger/Seabrook. Unless both Staal and Campbell are okay with 1yr/1mil type deals.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
If he signs for like 1.5 or something and that fits after signing Soupy, I'm good with it. IF we have to move Kruger or something like that, no thanks.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I would rather take a shot on him over a guy like Vanek if it came to that.

If he's willing to sign on the cheap to try to turn his career around, I'd definitely consider it.

Most definitely.... a possible stop gap while the kids mature.

Does anyone else get the impression that this team is going to look a lot different come October?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Cane fans say he played LW for them but wants to play C

So this would make him option for either Toews/Hossa LW spot or our 3rd line

Either way we have holes in both spots so if he comes cheaply on 1 year deal there really is no risk just like Richards

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Might be a big break for the Hawks if Staal can't find a team that will pay him and protect him from the expansion draft.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Cane fans say he played LW for them but wants to play C

So this would make him option for either Toews/Hossa LW spot or our 3rd line

Either way we have holes in both spots so if he comes cheaply on 1 year deal there really is no risk just like Richards

Put him at 2C with Kane and Panarin. They're used to losing faceoffs anyway. Let Anisimov solidify the 3C slot and keep Kruger at 4C where he'll be most effective. Gamble at the wings and the blueline. I'm inclined to trust Staal in an offensive role in the spring more than I would trust Campbell in a defensive one.

I'm not a big Staal fan, but I like him more than Ladd because he can still finish. If they're going to spend 2.5-3.5 million on discounted vet, I would want to give Staal the right of first refusal.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Staal can still skate, though not as fast as he used to. He's probably about as fast or a bit slower than AA by my eyes.

He's still a great player. Here's a good summation from the trade deadline.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/just-how-good-is-eric-staal-right-now/

He wasn't great in NYR, but nobody was. Literally nobody on that team played well except Lundqvist in large part because their D could NEVER get the puck up to their forwards. They were a trash possession team. Assuming the Blackhawks stay at even the middling possession they had last season, you'll see better from Staal.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
If we can get him <2mil , I'm all for it.

Toews
Staal
Anismov
Kruger

Thats some damn good center depth. As said before, he would most likely be better than Richards in 2015, which I think we would all agree was some good value for 2mil. I would also love to see a Panik - Anismov - Hossa third line.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If we can get him <2mil , I'm all for it.

Toews
Staal
Anismov
Kruger

Thats some damn good center depth. As said before, he would most likely be better than Richards in 2015, which I think we would all agree was some good value for 2mil. I would also love to see a Panik - Anismov - Hossa third line.

Honestly, I think Panik-Staal-Hossa would wreck as a 3rd line.

Anisimov meshes well with Kane and Panarin.

Whatever, it's Q. If Staal does sign, he's going to bounce around the lineup a fair bit.

massey1984

Some Guy from the Chicago suburbs
Jun 2, 2009
McHenry County
If they could get him for $1-1.25 mil why not? He was very solid on face-offs, which is something the Hawks need to improve on.

Panik-Toews-Kane
Panarin-Anisimov-Hartman
Motte/Hinostroza-Staal-Hossa
Rasmussen-Kruger-Desjardins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad