Confirmed Trade: [CHI/OTT] Ville Pokka for Chris DiDomenico

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Pokka was too slow for the Hawks and we had too many defensemen in Rockford.

Maybe he'll fit in better with Ottawa.

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
It's like a Derek Ryan situation. The guy gets to the NHL for the first time and puts up some surprising stats. Stan is trying to catch some lightning in a bottle. Or a rabbit in a hat. Unfortunately, I'd take Pokka - even though his production has stayed the same. It's possible with a slower style of play his skillset is a better fit.

Advantage: Ottawa by a nose

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Pokka has certainly fallen in the prospect ranks. He was highly regarded when he was dealt for Nick Leddy.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dido is not bad.. if it was just best players play .. he'd be in Ottawa ... He has some decent skill and could crack the Hawks ...I doubt Pokka is anymore than an AHL player

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Can he be a good D on a competent AHL team? Belleville's really been struggling to keep the puck out of their own net.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
I first said said about 3 years ago Pokka would never be a player for us, writing was on the wall. Still, DiDo obviously does nothing for us but can maybe play in the NHL at least. This is the last thought and bit of energy I will ever devote to this trade, that's how meaningless it is. When is the 2018 draft already...

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Depth move for Ottawa. They just traded a D (Phaneuf) and therefore had to call one up from the minors (Harpur). Add to this that Wideman is out for the season, Oduya is most likely being traded before the deadline, and one of their RHD in the minors (Jaros) is currently on IR. They needed a warm body.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Because I thought this guy was like 23, and his production would be good for a 23 year old. But if you're 28, you don't have much room to grow as a player, at least compared to someone in their lower 20s.
Didomenico was a fantastic looking prospect. I remember him pissing off Crosby in the preseason, because he was checking him so tightly. Had some real offensive skill to... and then his femur exploded.

Good for him, getting to the NHL, and now to an NHL team too.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It's definitely surprising Pokka isn't even a bottom pairing guy at this point. When he was drafted he was solid in Finland, just never took the next step.

I also was sure back in his U20 days that him and Esa Lindell would become solid NHL defenders. Only other one has done that so far, which is surprising to me.

I wonder how Ottawa will treat him. J.Jokipakka didn't get much of a chance to show in Ottawa. That was during last season I believe.

Reactions: Kuola

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
What a terrible deal by Chicago they got FLEECED. Time for Toronto to offer lupul for debrincat!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Wasnt Pokka a good prospect

The sort of "good prospect" these boards often go gaga over, yeah. He always had some upside, but for a smallish defenceman who can't skate all that well...the sort of production that looks nice on paper doesn't often add up to a whole lot at the NHL level.

Last ditch make or break time for Pokka now. If the Sens continue the sell-off, he'll surely get an audition. If he doesn't make something of it, he'll be back in Europe next year (which he was probably headed for anyway).

No harm, no foul though. The return is just another minor leaguer who doesn't have the ability to translate up a level.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It was known for a long time that Pokka wasn't going to get an oppurtunity with the Hawks. Even when he was up, they played the slow old guys before him. Very happy to see him get traded. Maybe now he even has a small chance to play in the NHL. It never wasn't going to happen with the Blackhawks.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It was known for a long time that Pokka wasn't going to get an oppurtunity with the Hawks. Even when he was up, they played the slow old guys before him. Very happy to see him get traded. Maybe now he even has a small chance to play in the NHL. It never wasn't going to happen with the Blackhawks.

The slow old guys are faster then Pokka

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
False

Hawks are a pretty clear loser in all this given they walked away with nothing to show of Leddy trade

Pokka was a very good prospect at the time of the trade, and we couldn't have afforded to keep Leddy.

Hard to call us a "loser" when the trade made sense at the time.

Leddy wouldn't be a Hawk either way today.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Dido,is a smart player its really a shame that awful injury happened to him...Because you could see him easily being a solid top 9 nhler...He just doesnt have the speed, but the smarts and skill are there...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad