Confirmed Trade: [CHI/OTT] Nikita Zaitsev, 2023 2nd round pick, and 2026 4th round pick for future considerations

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I remember these trades were illegal at one point. Believe the leafs tried acquiring a really shit overpaid goalie (Cujo, Gerber?) about 10 years ago and the league deemed it a “cap dump” trade and nixed it. Even fined the Leafs I believe.

Time have changed as essentially almost every selling is taking garbage for picks if they can afford the cap.

The caption is the best from Sens PR. We have acquired future considerations.
I really can't think of you what you'd be referencing...

Olaf Kolzig?
Toronto acquired Kolzig, Jamie Heward, and Andy Rogers and 4th round pick in 2009 for Richard Petiot.
Both Kolzig and Heward were LTIRd and never played again.

There was some minor stink in the media because it was one of the first of it's kind, and Toronto used its cap space and financial stability to effectively buy a draft pick, but the League allowed the trade to go through and there was no fine

Reactions: BHD

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Ya I get that they liked Brown but it was still a brutal trade. Toronto was desperate for cap space, they just paid a first to get rid of 1 year of Marleau's cap hit. The price should have been Brown+++ to take on 6 more years of Zaitsev at 4.5M but instead they add in 2 prospects, signing rights for a decent veteran and a draft pick?

And then they have to pay a 2nd and a 4th to dump that same contract with 2 years left?

This was Dorian's mid life crisis moment. Dump the wife, buy a Corvette, date a stripper, make a crazy trade.

Had a good laugh at calling Harpur and Luchuk prospects as if they had any sort of value but failing to recongize they were a part of a AHL swap.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Next year left, plus 25 games this year.

And yes Dubas did pay a first to dump Marleau, then paid a first dump Mrazek.

Luckily the Sens don’t have the albatross contracts Treliving has.
So Treliving signing bad contracts makes Zaitsev's contract better?

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Had a good laugh at calling Harpur and Luchuk prospects as if they had any sort of value but failing to recongize they were a part of a AHL swap.
Excuse me for not being up to speed on Ottawa prospects from years ago. The point was that they should have been getting multiple assets just to take on that long term cap hit but instead they added.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Excuse me for not being up to speed on Ottawa prospects from years ago. The point was that they should have been getting multiple assets just to take on that long term cap hit but instead they added.

If you are trying to analyze the trade, I would have expected a little effort.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Once again, missed the point entirely.

I got the point.

You think the term associated with Zaitsev wasn't worth the addition of Brown, I disagree. I'm clearly questioning your position to analyze the trade.

They moved out a player who wasn't working out and had a high QO for a replacement with similar salary and more term who also didn't work out. They got a good player who eventually wanted to move on for a 3rd round pick. End of the day the trade was inconsequential from Ottawa's perspective. It cost them a 3rd and 4th. Maybe they could have drafted a Ben Harpur.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Ottawa Senators Acquire:
Logo of the Ottawa Senators

Connor Brown · $2,100,000
Nikita Zaitsev · $4,500,000
Michael Carcone · $0 (AHL/JR) (Signing Rights)

Sum: $6,600,000
Change: +$5,875,000
Trade

Toronto Maple Leafs Acquire:
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Cody Ceci · $0 (Signing Rights)
Ben Harpur · $725,000
Aaron Luchuk · $0 (AHL/JR)
2020 3rd round pick (CBJ - #83 - Alex Laferriere)

Sum: $725,000
Change: -$5,875,000

They got a hard working forward in Connor Brown. He was good for the Sens for two seasons. They were also pretty thin on D and probably thought Zaitsev was better than a minor league call up.
One thing that a graphic like this really glosses over is the financial aspect of the trade. The Leafs ate a lot of money in this deal by paying the July 1st bonuses to both Brown [500k] and Zaitsev [3.0M]. They also took Ben Harpur's unwanted 1-way salary of 800k. That may sound trivial to most people, but you can't analyze anything that the Senators did towards the end of the Melnyk era without looking at the impact it had on the real dollar payroll.

Ottawa completed a lot of transactions that were motivated almost entirely by the desire to find short-term payroll savings, which in turn allowed them to circumvent the cap floor by many millions of dollars during their rebuild.

Zaitsev probably worked out much worse than they had hoped, but in the end they got out from under his contract for a fairly reasonable cost, and doing it before paying his bonus for next season is a big value add for them.

The net loss here is essentially a 3rd and a 4th. Overall not a grade series of trades, but probably not as bad as some people will try to portray it.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Next year left, plus 25 games this year.

And yes Dubas did pay a first to dump Marleau, then paid a first dump Mrazek.

Luckily the Sens don’t have the albatross contracts Treliving has.

Chicago received a 1st (25th) pick and Toronto received a 2nd (38th pick). Net cost to Toronto is 13 spots in the draft. That was the cost of dumping Mrazek at 3.8 x 2 years.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Chicago received a 1st (25th) pick and Toronto received a 2nd (38th pick). Net cost to Toronto is 13 spots in the draft. That was the cost of dumping Mrazek at 3.8 x 2 years.
So the original statement was correct, he paid a 1st to dump Mrazek and got back a 2nd.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This is a really nice piece of business for Chicago IMO... a pick that will likely be in the first half of the 2nd round, and a guy that might make you think less about moving a Connor Murphy or Jake McCabe.

From Ottawa's perspective; I get that you want to start by getting into the playoffs, but this just doesn't seem like the year to do that.

On a points percentage basis, they're 4 points back of Detroit with GP even....but there are 5 other teams currently outside of the playoffs looking in. If you're lucky enough to sneak into one of those wildcard spots, Boston or maybe Carolina await you in the first round.

They've got new ownership coming in. They've got a really good crop of young players.... but this just doesn't strike me at all as a year to be burning draft picks. Even if they think their future is set, that prospect could hold value for a future rental at a time when it could make a substantial difference.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Maybe Ottawa are willing to be a 3rd party in a Kane trade and retain salary? And this is a side deal (that works for both teams) as part of that.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
This is a really nice piece of business for Chicago IMO... a pick that will likely be in the first half of the 2nd round, and a guy that might make you think less about moving a Connor Murphy or Jake McCabe.

From Ottawa's perspective; I get that you want to start by getting into the playoffs, but this just doesn't seem like the year to do that.

On a points percentage basis, they're 4 points back of Detroit with GP even....but there are 5 other teams currently outside of the playoffs looking in. If you're lucky enough to sneak into one of those wildcard spots, Boston or maybe Carolina await you in the first round.

They've got new ownership coming in. They've got a really good crop of young players.... but this just doesn't strike me at all as a year to be burning draft picks. Even if they think their future is set, that prospect could hold value for a future rental at a time when it could make a substantial difference.
Our kids needs to get playoffs experience even the experience of being in the race for a playoffs spot is good for them. They had an easy schedule in Feb, March is going to be a lot tougher.

1677146692593.png

ThaShow

Feb 29, 2012
Gatineau

They have plenty more assets for futur rental don’t worry, they need to that trade to try to sign Debrincat, get a top4 def(whether it’s this year or next year, bonus it is if this year to make a playoff push) + sign Pinto

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
They can never be taken seriously if this is the case for a Canadian franchise
Everyone knows this about Ottawa and why everyone wanted Eugene to sell. If you actually look at the salary cap for NHL teams you will see that Ottawa's current cap hit is within $4 Million of Edmonton, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver, and Winnipeg and only $5M behind Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad