Confirmed Trade: [CHI/OTT] Nikita Zaitsev, 2023 2nd round pick, and 2026 4th round pick for future considerations

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
How does the 4.5 cap hit get broken down. If they paid 2 million signing bonus.
Signing bonuses and bonuses are completely separate from the players salary. There large sums of money that get paid all at once , but still count towards the cap .

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Why wouldn't there be a group chat with all 30 GM's where they can all see when a player is available and start a bidding war?

I don't see the logic in offering up a guy to only a handful of teams and not allowing other teams to top that offer...
That's not how you conduct any serious business relationships and or discussions.
Every team has different needs and it's no secret regarding each teams options due to the salary cap and current contracts.

In the end many teams are limited in their ability to make trades i.e salary cap, finding a willing buyer and return

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Signing bonuses and bonuses are completely separate from the players salary. There large sums of money that get paid all at once , but still count towards the cap .
I realize that
The question is if team A pays 2 million in signing bonus. Then trades him before the start of the season to Team B.
Team B picks up the remaining 2.5 million.

Is team B on the hook for 4.5 million in cap , or does Team A get 2 million.

I believe Team B gets hit with the whole 4.5 million. But that was the question.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I realize that
The question is if team A pays 2 million in signing bonus. Then trades him before the start of the season to Team B.
Team B picks up the remaining 2.5 million.

Is team B on the hook for 4.5 million in cap , or does Team A get 2 million.

I believe Team B gets hit with the whole 4.5 million. But that was the question.
If I'm understanding your question or your understanding of the signing bonuses. The bonuses are triggered at certain points in the terms of a contract

Who ends up being on the hook for that bonus all depends greatly on who ever controls the contract at such time the bonus is to be paid.

That's why you'll see teams moving out contracts at certain times are on the hook to pay the bonus before such date.

If a contract is moved during the season the salary cap dollars are adjusted but not the cap hit
Most of the time the signing bonuses are frontloaded and paid out early on especially on long term contracts
Another example you'll notice or hear is when a player is due to be paid that bonus it's generally around July 1st
Gms during discussions work those issues out beforehand as to who will pay that bonus

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Could that not be said about any NHL team if they lose their starting goalie?
All Murray cost us was money and when he has been hurt he has been on LTIR.
The Leafs had Freddy/Soup and added Rittich and that turned into a dumpster fire.
Of the other goalie options this summer they have all been garbage or injured.
We recieved picks to take a goalie that has provided what would of cost us picks to aquire.
Not sure, probably most teams at least have a backup that can play. Murray has recently gotten hurt all the time and (for us) at very inopportune times.

So, if the cost was cap space and it backfires, then it might cost the Leafs everything.

But again, we'll see how it plays out. You asked the cost and I think it might be very high when the chips are down.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
They have plenty more assets for futur rental don’t worry, they need to that trade to try to sign Debrincat, get a top4 def(whether it’s this year or next year, bonus it is if this year to make a playoff push) + sign Pinto
Cap isn’t going up next year and the sens have only 10 players signed with 20 million. Unless another person is moved you sign DeBrincat and you are stuck trying to fill 10-12 roster spots with 12 million

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Cap isn’t going up next year and the sens have only 10 players signed with 20 million. Unless another person is moved you sign DeBrincat and you are stuck trying to fill 10-12 roster spots with 12 million

I know that’s what cap friendly says but it’s wrong. I don’t know if it’s not including Zub and Stutzle extensions into the roster size or it’s not including ELC but they when you project out the line up there are more players under contract for next season than ten.

Reactions: uncleben

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Chicago accumulating more draft picks for the rebuild.

Nikita Zaitsev could easily be buried in the minors next season.

He will have a spot in Chicago. Teams in tank mode and selling anything of value. McCabe is likely to be moved. Connor Murphy going at some point wouldn’t surprise me either.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Just counted 13 players signed from capfriendly

ThaShow

Feb 29, 2012
Gatineau

13, u missed Norris, Forsberg & Sanderson on the ir.
Joseph will also probably be traded if they need more space.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I know that’s what cap friendly says but it’s wrong. I don’t know if it’s not including Zub and Stutzle extensions into the roster size or it’s not including ELC but they when you project out the line up there are more players under contract for next season than ten.
They even explain it on the site, "Players on IR and LTIR do not count towards roster size"

Ottawa has 10 players who are both currently signed for next season and currently fit to play.
Now, of their 3 IR players, all three should be back and ready for next season, so, yes, that is 3 fewer spots that you need to fill

Calling CapFriendly wrong is bold, haha ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Korpse

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Got to love those futures deals when a player and 2 picks go the other way. Anyone else remember when Bettman would step in a void trades because he felt there wasn't enough going back the other way? Good times.

Reactions: Lt Dan

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Mmm ok, all 30 GM’s LOL
I think you’ll notice certain GM’s work together often.

Lol I'm asking. Why wouldn't there be a 32 GM's group chat?

We have similar things set up at my multiple jobs. Makes things easier.

It's a lot easier to ask who wants to trade for your shift to the group then individually to all 20 coworkers...wouldn't the same logic apply when trying to deal off guys for a 6th round pick? Maybe there's a team out there that would offer their 5th had they known?

Why does what I'm suggesting seem far fetched to you?

That's not how you conduct any serious business relationships and or discussions.
Every team has different needs and it's no secret regarding each teams options due to the salary cap and current contracts.

In the end many teams are limited in their ability to make trades i.e salary cap, finding a willing buyer and return

Yeah, but for 90% of Trades, which are people trying to find a taker for a poor contract, or trying to sell off something to highest bidder, having the most possible suitors would make the most sense, no?

If there isn't a group chat, you'd have to copy and paste what's available to all 32 teams...what's the point?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
They even explain it on the site, "Players on IR and LTIR do not count towards roster size"

Ottawa has 10 players who are both currently signed for next season and currently fit to play.
Now, of their 3 IR players, all three should be back and ready for next season, so, yes, that is 3 fewer spots that you need to fill

Calling CapFriendly wrong is bold, haha ;)

Knowing the information posted was wrong, I was lazy and didn’t word my post correctly. Wasn’t my intent to say capfriendly was wrong, just the poster.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Got to love those futures deals when a player and 2 picks go the other way. Anyone else remember when Bettman would step in a void trades because he felt there wasn't enough going back the other way? Good times.
Nope, link to some of these mixed deals, so I can read them.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Lol I'm asking. Why wouldn't there be a 32 GM's group chat?

We have similar things set up at my multiple jobs. Makes things easier.

It's a lot easier to ask who wants to trade for your shift to the group then individually to all 20 coworkers...wouldn't the same logic apply when trying to deal off guys for a 6th round pick? Maybe there's a team out there that would offer their 5th had they known?

Why does what I'm suggesting seem far fetched to you?

Yeah, but for 90% of Trades, which are people trying to find a taker for a poor contract, or trying to sell off something to highest bidder, having the most possible suitors would make the most sense, no?

If there isn't a group chat, you'd have to copy and paste what's available to all 32 teams...what's the point?
Group calls within a company are not normally negotiating against each other.
If I have a team interested in trading me player xx for a 3rd I don’t want a team 5 slots lower in the standings to hear that and offer their 3rd.
Also if you are offering a 3rd I could tell you that team xx 5 slots ahead of you offered theirs (they didn’t) If you really want the guy you might add a 4th. For free!

Meetings can be public. Negotiations are a private thing.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
No, I don't...
I definitely don't

When did he do this?

ziggy palfy trade to LA. The deal was set, then he said it wasn't enough from our end, so we had to include our top prospect. He was such a dick back then.

edit:
here's the link from a flashback post on this board:

Reactions: Lt Dan and uncleben

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
1677172017290.png

Reactions: kingsfan28

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad