Confirmed Trade: [CHI/OTT] Nikita Zaitsev, 2023 2nd round pick, and 2026 4th round pick for future considerations

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Group calls within a company are not normally negotiating against each other.
If I have a team interested in trading me player xx for a 3rd I don’t want a team 5 slots lower in the standings to hear that and offer their 3rd.
Also if you are offering a 3rd I could tell you that team xx 5 slots ahead of you offered theirs (they didn’t) If you really want the guy you might add a 4th. For free!

Meetings can be public. Negotiations are a private thing.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing that the negotiating isn't done 1 on 1.

But why wouldn't the announcement of people being put on a trading block not be made via group text. You would only hurt yourself by not fielding the most offers. They can then privately call you to negotiate 1 on 1.

I just don't see the logic of "this team didn't know he was available but could have beat the offer". Why wouldn't the OG team let them, and every other team know?

Like if Ottawa trades debrincat to Tampa for a 1st round pick and a 4th liner...plenty of teams would beat that. It wouldn't make sense not to include other teams and see who has the best offer.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

But why wouldn't the announcement of people being put on a trading block not be made via group text. You would only hurt yourself by not fielding the most offers. They can then privately call you to negotiate 1 on 1.

I just don't see the logic of "this team didn't know he was available but could have beat the offer". Why wouldn't the OG team let them, and every other team know?

Like if Ottawa trades debrincat to Tampa for a 1st round pick and a 4th liner...plenty of teams would beat that. It wouldn't make sense not to include other teams and see who has the best offer.
Sometimes you don’t want it leaking to the media or player.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
ziggy palfy trade to LA. The deal was set, then he said it wasn't enough from our end, so we had to include our top prospect. He was such a dick back then.

edit:
here's the link from a flashback post on this board:

What was funny is I was having a hard time trying to find sources about this, and the first succesful hit I got was a actually a post from you, 10 years ago! lol!
But then in that thread there were more sources

Sounds like the League vetoed a deal of Palffy to NYR because it violated cash rules, and then that first trade to LAK definitely does seem a little weird for the NHL to step in, but to be fair, it was never formally submitted, apparently, and it was before the salary cap and modern CBA, so things were definitely a little more Wild West, then

• Haha
Reactions: kingsfan28

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
No, I don't...
I definitely don't

When did he do this?
He voided the original Palffy trade (I believe him going to the Rangers) because of too much of the trade being money.
He also voided the original NYI/LA trade for Palffy and demaded the Kings give up more

These were the reported details of the Palffy to NYR trade

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Maybe Ottawa are willing to be a 3rd party in a Kane trade and retain salary? And this is a side deal (that works for both teams) as part of that.

So they tried to trade futures to get cap space, then immediately turn around and use that cap space to get futures.

Sounds legit.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What was funny is I was having a hard time trying to find sources about this, and the first succesful hit I got was a actually a post from you, 10 years ago! lol!
But then in that thread there were more sources

Sounds like the League vetoed a deal of Palffy to NYR because it violated cash rules, and then that first trade to LAK definitely does seem a little weird for the NHL to step in, but to be fair, it was never formally submitted, apparently, and it was before the salary cap and modern CBA, so things were definitely a little more Wild West, then
Yeah, what happened before there was a cap ceiling and a cap floor aren't really relevant.

Reactions: uncleben

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

That's why it's in the other GMs pocket to occasionally say this is the offer or not. Answer me now or quickly or I have something else I'll do instead. Which could be a bluff or a real thing.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
So they tried to trade futures to get cap space, then immediately turn around and use that cap space to get futures.

Sounds legit.

If they know they are going to have $2m cap space at the deadline then why not get something for it? When the $ hit isn't $2m

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Lol I'm asking. Why wouldn't there be a 32 GM's group chat?

We have similar things set up at my multiple jobs. Makes things easier.

It's a lot easier to ask who wants to trade for your shift to the group then individually to all 20 coworkers...wouldn't the same logic apply when trying to deal off guys for a 6th round pick? Maybe there's a team out there that would offer their 5th had they known?

Why does what I'm suggesting seem far fetched to you?

Yeah, but for 90% of Trades, which are people trying to find a taker for a poor contract, or trying to sell off something to highest bidder, having the most possible suitors would make the most sense, no?

If there isn't a group chat, you'd have to copy and paste what's available to all 32 teams...what's the point?
Your not looking at this from a realistic perspective. Your dealing with contracts and money that involve lawyers putting together specific details.
Imagine looking at a screen and 32 people all trying to chime in ? Not to mention the time it takes to put together a offer and type it ?
In house chat is fine for minute things but not conducive to working out a players life that involves money and incentives.

Most major trades the ground work has been laid weeks in advance by slowly talking and laying out each teams gives and takes .
When you buy property do you just open up a chat box and make the purchase or do you do your due diligence and look over the property and allow your agent to negotiate the terms ?

Relationships amongst each GM is crucial to any future dealings and gaining confidence and experience amongst others.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
It's a lot of money for a 2nd round draft pick. Assuming you value Zadorov as not much better than a Tinordi at league minimum.

That pick might be top 45ish though good enough for one of the best goalies in this draft.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Group calls within a company are not normally negotiating against each other.
If I have a team interested in trading me player xx for a 3rd I don’t want a team 5 slots lower in the standings to hear that and offer their 3rd.
Also if you are offering a 3rd I could tell you that team xx 5 slots ahead of you offered theirs (they didn’t) If you really want the guy you might add a 4th. For free!

Meetings can be public. Negotiations are a private thing.
The whole group chat for negotiations including trades is hilarious and not even serious.
To many people forget technology while it has some benefits is just a horrible idea for things that require building relationships, contracts, salaries, a bit of playing chicken or poker . Most of us can assume plenty but the reality of actually being in that Position and everything in detail is hard to realize.

Most trades are worked on for weeks and I'm sure Gms share valuable information with each other to help other teams find suitors . Thats why the telephone is your best form of communication 👌

Reactions: Space umpire

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Lol I'm asking. Why wouldn't there be a 32 GM's group chat?

We have similar things set up at my multiple jobs. Makes things easier.

It's a lot easier to ask who wants to trade for your shift to the group then individually to all 20 coworkers...wouldn't the same logic apply when trying to deal off guys for a 6th round pick? Maybe there's a team out there that would offer their 5th had they known?

Why does what I'm suggesting seem far fetched to you?

Yeah, but for 90% of Trades, which are people trying to find a taker for a poor contract, or trying to sell off something to highest bidder, having the most possible suitors would make the most sense, no?

If there isn't a group chat, you'd have to copy and paste what's available to all 32 teams...what's the point?
Have you ever had 32 CEOs in a single chat?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Have you ever had 32 CEOs in a single chat?
That might work for 32 assistant GMs to just get general information out there.

ie, Kent Hughes might have someone yesterday say they were open to taking any expiring contracts for any forwards, just 'cause they are very short on warm bodies. Nothing top-secret, no complicated negotiations, but just getting information out there, so GMs call each other if there might be a fit.

pnch40

May 31, 2015
Your not looking at this from a realistic perspective. Your dealing with contracts and money that involve lawyers putting together specific details.
Imagine looking at a screen and 32 people all trying to chime in ? Not to mention the time it takes to put together a offer and type it ?
In house chat is fine for minute things but not conducive to working out a players life that involves money and incentives.

Most major trades the ground work has been laid weeks in advance by slowly talking and laying out each teams gives and takes .
When you buy property do you just open up a chat box and make the purchase or do you do your due diligence and look over the property and allow your agent to negotiate the terms ?

Relationships amongst each GM is crucial to any future dealings and gaining confidence and experience amongst others.
I bet you haven’t seen Billy bean trade while eating popcorn, have you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad