Confirmed Trade: [CHI/NYI] Josh Bailey and 2026 2nd round pick for future considerations

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Yeah, why do you think your team got Nico and Hughes (x2)?

It's better to be rock bottom while rebuilding than it is to be picking 5-10th.
Do you just ignore everything else I wrote. Take a look at the devils roster in 2014-15 and 2015-16. The best skater is a 42 year old jagr. Those teams were awful but they had a prime Schneider in net preventing them from being the worst team in the league.

Devils drafted Nico and Hughes because they were not only bad but now Schneider was no longer good. Cory Schneider prevented the devils from bottoming out in the mcdavid and Mathews drafts. Lou gave up a top 10 pick to get Schneider. The rebuild should have started with the top ten pick then and not trading it for an elite goalie in their prime. Schneider delayed the rebuild and that’s on Lou. Left this team in a mess with no prospects and a goalie who kept them from being in last.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Well, this one was about as telegraphed as it gets. The only real question was...what pick was it going to take to get it done? Apparently the answer is a 2nd rounder from the Year 3000.

I get it from Chicago's end too though. Like...it's no skin off their back to kick that 3 years down the road. They've already got plenty of picks in this draft and the next ones. They're going to have a ton of prospects to try to integrate over that time. They'll also probably be looking to start turning things around and try to get some winning done while they've still got Bedard on a dirt cheap ELC. That 2nd round pick will be a solid trade chip to flip for immediate veteran help to bolster the holes in their lineup in a few years.

Plus, Bailey can still play a little bit. So it's not purely a waste of space for the Blackhawks, who are currently having to pay other Top-9 Filler massive contracts (like Athanasiou @ $4.25M) anyway. So getting someone else with some offensive skill to surround Bedard doesn't really hurt them at all for a year.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Well, this one was about as telegraphed as it gets. The only real question was...what pick was it going to take to get it done? Apparently the answer is a 2nd rounder from the Year 3000.

I get it from Chicago's end too though. Like...it's no skin off their back to kick that 3 years down the road. They've already got plenty of picks in this draft and the next ones. They're going to have a ton of prospects to try to integrate over that time. They'll also probably be looking to start turning things around and try to get some winning done while they've still got Bedard on a dirt cheap ELC. That 2nd round pick will be a solid trade chip to flip for immediate veteran help to bolster the holes in their lineup in a few years.

Plus, Bailey can still play a little bit. So it's not purely a waste of space for the Blackhawks, who are currently having to pay other Top-9 Filler massive contracts (like Athanasiou @ $4.25M) anyway. So getting someone else with some offensive skill to surround Bedard doesn't really hurt them at all for a year.

Wait what?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He's a very good goalie but you can't pay him 3mil a year for 20 games. If they do its a big mistake. Lou is a disaster though so I wouldn't put it past him.

Not sure why. Isles are too close to the playoff bubble to take a chance on an inexperienced backup that might cost them games and experienced backups are usually 1.5-2 million at least. Even a guy like Connor Ingram just signed for 1.95. An extra 1-1.5 million on Varlamov over another backup probably adds more points to the team than spending that elsewhere in the lineup. At least if it’s one year anyway. It might be a problem once Sorokin gets paid.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Lol oh yea?
He probably is tbh. He just wants an opportunity to play somewhere and he was squeezed out here. He is a good guy who was on the hook for a terrible decision on the Yanni Gourde goal in game 7. Subsequently left exposed in the expansion draft and was very sick during the COVID outbreak, during that ridiculous road trip when the NHL decided that the Isles couldn't play in a 15,000 seat arena while UBS was being finished. Same NHL btw that okayed a couple of years for a franchise to play in a 5,000 seat frathouse. Anyway, a flawed player but capable middle sixer for most of his career. He couldn't get himself right last year but maybe he can get himself in shape for one last charge.

Bailey bashed for most of the last couple of years so not saying I necessarily wanted him back but he certainly was negatively affected by some of the pre-Lou bungling that went on here.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Quite the long winded response. NYI has no good prospects, not an up and coming team, and at best are a mediocre team that in a few years will have nothing but aging players on bad contracts. Good luck also getting Sorokin to sign, guy is going to get PAID next year to join a contender.
Sorokin is already on record as loving the Islanders and being open to an extension. Other than Tavares, the team has had no issues retaining the UFA's it wants over the last several years. Yes, Ilya is going to be paid, but part of the reason for the Bailey trade rather than the buyout is keeping the back end of it off the cap next year so we have the maximum money to pay Sorokin. BTW, I wouldn't be so smug about what he's going to cost to sign; the team has already probably factored in that it would take a Vasi or Bob deal -- whether it be on the Island or elsewhere, but that's going to roger the Rangers but good as Igor is up next and the odds he would except anything less than his friend Ilya gets is wishful thinking. Have fun.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Sorokin is already on record as loving the Islanders and being open to an extension. Other than Tavares, the team has had no issues retaining the UFA's it wants over the last several years. Yes, Ilya is going to be paid, but part of the reason for the Bailey trade rather than the buyout is keeping the back end of it off the cap next year so we have the maximum money to pay Sorokin. BTW, I wouldn't be so smug about what he's going to cost to sign; the team has already probably factored in that it would take a Vasi or Bob deal -- whether it be on the Island or elsewhere, but that's going to roger the Rangers but good as Igor is up next and the odds he would except anything less than his friend Ilya gets is wishful thinking. Have fun.
Yea, so was Tavaras..

Reactions: RogerRoger

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I hear 2026 is a really deep draft, Chicago made out like bandits. Maybe they can pick up a McDavid type player.
I don’t know about that. But Chicago COULD acquire another first overall as soon as today... Just trade that 2026 second for Lafreniere. Rangers add.

Reactions: MattMartin

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Yea, so was Tavaras..
Like I said, except for Tavares, and he wanted to "go through his process." We'll see how this plays out, except the one thing is certain, whatever his contract is, and wherever it is, the number is going to screw the Rangers, but good, as Igor will want the same, and it's going to be huge.
I don’t know about that. But Chicago COULD acquire another first overall as soon as today... Just trade that 2026 second for Lafreniere. Rangers add.
That's the funny thing with magic beans -- they don't always sprout. Rangers had 3 top 10 picks, one wound up as a bust (but thanks for bypassing Dobson for that one) and two are significantly less than expected, at least to this point in their careers. They aren't alone either, and the Islanders screwed up their share as have most teams going through a tear down rebuild. It's why unless you are fine with 7-10 years of pain, they largely don't turn out as planned.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Like I said, except for Tavares, and he wanted to "go through his process." We'll see how this plays out, except the one thing is certain, whatever his contract is, and wherever it is, the number is going to screw the Rangers, but good, as Igor will want the same, and it's going to be huge.

That's the funny thing with magic beans -- they don't always sprout. Rangers had 3 top 10 picks, one wound up as a bust (but thanks for bypassing Dobson for that one) and two are significantly less than expected, at least to this point in their careers. They aren't alone either, and the Islanders screwed up their share as have most teams going through a tear down rebuild. It's why unless you are fine with 7-10 years of pain, they largely don't turn out as planned.
Which is why it’s silly for fans of teams other than Chicago and Islanders to make such a big deal about this run-of-the-mill trade…

A particular Toronto poster making it a referendum on organizational and fan morality because the Isles moved a longtime player. Meanwhile ignoring several historical examples such as hate posts that Sundin received for not waiving his NTC originally. Or, Reimer getting death threats. As if fanaticism of a few is universal to all fans of a team?

Or a particular Ranger poster going on about how bad this trade is for the Isles… as if the Rangers didn’t do just the same for Marc Staal or Patrick Nemeth.

Reactions: PWJunior

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Or a particular Ranger poster going on about how bad this trade is for the Isles… as if the Rangers didn’t do just the same for Marc Staal or Patrick Nemeth.
If the Islanders were to get McDavid for Bailey he would still call it a win for Edmonton. He's like George Costanza when he realized he should do the opposite of everything he does.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Which is why it’s silly for fans of teams other than Chicago and Islanders to make such a big deal about this run-of-the-mill trade…

A particular Toronto poster making it a referendum on organizational and fan morality because the Isles moved a longtime player. Meanwhile ignoring several historical examples such as hate posts that Sundin received for not waiving his NTC originally. Or, Reimer getting death threats. As if fanaticism of a few is universal to all fans of a team?

Saw that; wasn't worth commenting on. Bottom line is Bailey pretty much ASKED to be moved or bought out as he didn't want to return if he was only going to see press box duty, which at this point, given the fall off, was a certainty.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Sorokin is already on record as loving the Islanders and being open to an extension. Other than Tavares, the team has had no issues retaining the UFA's it wants over the last several years. Yes, Ilya is going to be paid, but part of the reason for the Bailey trade rather than the buyout is keeping the back end of it off the cap next year so we have the maximum money to pay Sorokin. BTW, I wouldn't be so smug about what he's going to cost to sign; the team has already probably factored in that it would take a Vasi or Bob deal -- whether it be on the Island or elsewhere,

but that's going to roger the Rangers but good as Igor is up next and the odds he would except anything less than his friend Ilya gets is wishful thinking. Have fun.
Igor got 4 year $22,666,667. Based on their friendship and bragging rights 4 year $22,666,668 for Sorokin or how about 15 year 67 million ? Never mind Isles did that one already

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad