Confirmed Trade: [CHI/DET] Tomas Jurco for 2017 3rd round pick

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
With all due respect to Chicago, this seems like a risky move. Yes they have a need, their forward depth is not very impressive. But is Jurco really the guy you want to pencil onto your third line for a deep playoff run? He has never really proven to be anything more than a role player on a decent Detroit team.

It is a gamble. No doubt about that. As far as the Hawks forward depth goes I think people are going to be surprised. The Hawks have a lot of youth, but the youth has been improving all year long and the team seems to be hitting their stride.

You also have to be cautious about counting on the success of guys like Panik and Schmaltz, neither of which have had much meaningful playoff experience. If I was Chicago, I would have tried to be more aggressive on a guy like Vrbata who you know is going to walk at the end of the year, but I’d have more faith in him in the playoffs than a guy like Jurco. Even a guy like Iginla could be considered.

Chicago already had Vrbata and no thanks. Even if Vrbata didn't have 600k in potential playoff bonuses. He isn't at all what the Hawks want and need. Iginla is showing his age and doesn't even remotely fit in with the Hawks style of play.

Jurco is also a RFA at the end of the year, so if he doesn’t work out is Chicago gonna still extend him?

He will most likely be re-signed if for no other reason than to be one of the 2 forwards the Hawks need to leave unprotected for the expansion draft.

Also, the timing of this move is really strange. If a 3rd for Jurco is all you can really get, yeah sure take a risk and do it. But the trading deadline isn’t until Thursday...why not hold onto the pick and see if you can throw it in as part of a better trade?

It is quite possible that the other forward the Hawks were looking at got traded to the Ducks and an hour later the Hawks picked up their back up plan.

Take it from a Bruins fan, Sweeny traded a 3rd for freaking Rinaldo. Chicago is trying to win a Cup, and if they want to do that then I hope they have a couple more moves up their sleeve.

I highly doubt the Hawks make a couple of more moves before the deadline. Bowman already said after the Jurco trade that he isn't expecting to be making any more trades. So unless the price drops or someone new comes available this is quite possibly the team the Hawks take into the playoffs. The possible exception to that being Shalunov because the Hawks already own his rights and can sign him whenever they want.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
You make some good points, but my main issue with the deal is the player they got. If you are correct and they were in on Eaves, Jurco is a pretty big downgrade from that. He doesn't bring any of the same intangibles, leadership or experience that they could use to supplement their young bottom 6 players. Let along the pure difference in production.

And as a Hawks fan, you understand better than most how big a difference there is between regular season and playoff hockey. If you are gonna rely on those young players, you have to live with the risk that they wont step up when it matters most. That could turn them from a potential 3 line team into a 1 line team. I understand taking a risk, but Jurco wouldn't be the guy I'd take that risk on though.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
You make some good points, but my main issue with the deal is the player they got. If you are correct and they were in on Eaves, Jurco is a pretty big downgrade from that. He doesn't bring any of the same intangibles, leadership or experience that they could use to supplement their young bottom 6 players. Let along the pure difference in production.

And as a Hawks fan, you understand better than most how big a difference there is between regular season and playoff hockey. If you are gonna rely on those young players, you have to live with the risk that they wont step up when it matters most. That could turn them from a potential 3 line team into a 1 line team. I understand taking a risk, but Jurco wouldn't be the guy I'd take that risk on though.

I doubt anyone in the Hawks organization is "counting on" Jurco. It was a insignificant cost with a potential high reward. I also doubt Stan is done trying to get a veteran who can be counted on to step in if needed in the playoffs. Maybe two. But as usual the Cap situation restricts what can be done more so than the asset(s) cost of a trade. The Hawks have seen first Hartman and lately Schmaltz really blossom as rookies and whereas earlier in the year may have considered trading them, now I doubt they would. Maybe one of both spit the bit in the playoffs but both have shown enough to be in the "don't trade" category.

thedoughboy

Feb 22, 2015
Tinyest of the fifty
I don't think many people are banking on jurco being an allstar for us going into the playoffs.

But, he replaces desi/tootoo to get off the roster, and he makes the bottom line better at least, and at best he really clicks with hossa and things take off.

Low cost, high reward deal. Hopefully another forward coming from bowman.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I doubt anyone in the Hawks organization is "counting on" Jurco. It was a insignificant cost with a potential high reward. I also doubt Stan is done trying to get a veteran who can be counted on to step in if needed in the playoffs. Maybe two. But as usual the Cap situation restricts what can be done more so than the asset(s) cost of a trade. The Hawks have seen first Hartman and lately Schmaltz really blossom as rookies and whereas earlier in the year may have considered trading them, now I doubt they would. Maybe one of both spit the bit in the playoffs but both have shown enough to be in the "don't trade" category.

Bowman has always done a good job of surrounding his core players with the complementary pieces to take his team to the next level. They have one of the best offensive lines in hockey with the Kane line, great two-way players in Toews and Hossa, and when healthy they have an elite defense. If they manage to add another reliable top 9 center or wing, when healthy they would be the clear cup favorites. I just don't think Jurco is the move that puts them over the top. There is a slight chance he turns it around, but at this point I'm not even he is an upgrade over anyone in your bottom 6.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Bowman has always done a good job of surrounding his core players with the complementary pieces to take his team to the next level. They have one of the best offensive lines in hockey with the Kane line, great two-way players in Toews and Hossa, and when healthy they have an elite defense. If they manage to add another reliable top 9 center or wing, when healthy they would be the clear cup favorites. I just don't think Jurco is the move that puts them over the top.

I agree and I haven't read anyone who thinks Jurco is the "missing piece" to a Cup winning team. But I also don't think the acquisition precludes another deal or two. Jurco's cap hit is basically a wash with the player sent down to provide a roster spot (Hinostroza).

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I agree and I haven't read anyone who thinks Jurco is the "missing piece" to a Cup winning team. But I also don't think the acquisition precludes another deal or two. Jurco's cap hit is basically a wash with the player sent down to provide a roster spot (Hinostroza).

I would be really surprised if they didn't make another trade by the deadline. I respect Chicago because they recognize their own greatness, and try to go for The Cup every year.

Perhaps rental prices are just too high this year, given how close all of the standings are.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
With all due respect to Chicago, this seems like a risky move.

It really isn't. As in, losing a 3rd round pick in the weakest draft in years will not make or break anything substantial for the Chicago Blackhawks organization. Thanks for your uninformed input though.

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
It really isn't. As in, losing a 3rd round pick in the weakest draft in years will not make or break anything substantial for the Chicago Blackhawks organization. Thanks for your uninformed input though.

I don't think he meant risky as in expensive. I think he meant it was risky to think just adding Jurco is enough for the Hawks to win the cup.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA

I think you should consider the background of some players you might be familiar with.

4th Round Pick- Niklas Hjalmarsson
5th Round Pick- Marcus Kruger
5th Round Pick- Andrew Shaw
5th Round Pick- James Wisneiswski
7th Round Pick- Troy Brouwer
8th Round Pick- Dustin Byfuglien

All valuable players, all drafted after the 3rd Round by YOUR organization. Heck, even Keith, Saad and Crawford were all 2nd Round Picks. The draft isn't an exact science, nobody knows how good players are gonna be till later down the line. No matter how 'informed' you are, you can't predict the future.

As long as Chicago has Toews, Kane, and Keith they should go for the Cup every year. If they don't want to use those picks to draft players to supplement their core, they should trade them for players who might actually improve your team. They don't need to waste assets on reclamation projects.

I'm suggesting they need to make another move.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Every draft pick after the 1st round is a lottery ticket. The Hawks have 7-8 left for the 2017 draft. They are as likely to draft their next gem in rounds 4-7 as they are in round 3, given their history.

Trading a 3rd round pick for a current NHL player is in no shape or form a risky move for the Chicago Blackhawks. It does not change the fact that they have the players, prospects and money to go on and win multiple more Cups with this core.

PS. Bet we'll draft another Buff in the 8th round this year...;)

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Jurco developed some decent defensive play under Babcock. If he can rekindle his offense in Chicago he could very well be a very good top-9 guy, 3rd liner on a healthy roster but has the tools to function in the top-6 when needed.

But nothing is for sure when it comes to Jurco, he's had injury problems and when his confidence is low he does not belong on a NHL roster. But who knows, Chicagos staff might have seen Jurco as a great potential fit in their system.

Like the deal for both teams, chances of turning a 3rd rounder into a nhl player at all are quite slim anyway, especially a late 3rd. But Jurco had no fit in the detroit and a 3rd is great return for a player that barley has played in the NHL this season (big reason is probably since he's recovering from a back surgery).

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Every draft pick after the 1st round is a lottery ticket. The Hawks have 7-8 left for the 2017 draft. They are as likely to draft their next gem in rounds 4-7 as they are in round 3, given their history.

Trading a 3rd round pick for a current NHL player is in no shape or form a risky move for the Chicago Blackhawks. It does not change the fact that they have the players, prospects and money to go on and win multiple more Cups with this core.

PS. Bet we'll draft another Buff in the 8th round this year...;)

I agree with you, except I don't think Jurco is an NHL caliber player.

TheHardTruth*

Jun 22, 2015
I agree with you, except I don't think Jurco is an NHL caliber player.

A third round pick has a 70% chance of never playing in the NHL. If Jurco even scores one goal in a Hawks uniform then the Hawks will easily win the trade. Whomever Detroit picks has only a 30% chance of being even a minor NHL player. The odds of that player becoming something more are even more remote.

yost-draft1_53958.jpg

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
A third round pick has a 70% chance of never playing in the NHL. If Jurco even scores one goal in a Hawks uniform then the Hawks will easily win the trade. Whomever Detroit picks has only a 30% chance of being even a minor NHL player. The odds of that player becoming something more are even more remote.

yost-draft1_53958.jpg

I just hope they go after someone else who can make a bigger impact. I like watching the Hawks in the playoffs, even if I'm not a fan per say. There is still time for them to make a trade, but I'm just not sold on their forward group being deep enough.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Bowman has always done a good job of surrounding his core players with the complementary pieces to take his team to the next level. They have one of the best offensive lines in hockey with the Kane line, great two-way players in Toews and Hossa, and when healthy they have an elite defense. If they manage to add another reliable top 9 center or wing, when healthy they would be the clear cup favorites. I just don't think Jurco is the move that puts them over the top. There is a slight chance he turns it around, but at this point I'm not even he is an upgrade over anyone in your bottom 6.

Pretty good synopsis of where the Hawks are at right now. They're in a better situation next year with DeBrincat, Sikura and Shalunov all being possibilities to play with Hawks and fill a top 9 LW role.

As far as this year, you're right, they ideally go swing a deal for a top 9 LW to hedge their bet on Jurco. If Jurco can slide into that 4th line role and play with Hartman and Kero (who are both clicking) it can be a solid line to take on the easier matchups. I'd prefer going after Duclair and hope he can get his game going again. Maybe not the best player to target for a cup run this year but a really good one for 2018 and 2019.

I'm not sure who is out there that can play a two way game with Hossa that fits the vet 3LW criteria. Apparently Hossa played with Jurco in Sochi so that probably played a role in Bowman targeting Jurco. Assuming he got the Hossa stamp of approval like Panik did.

All in all its a fair deal for both sides. Bowman doesn't seem to be one to fight for every last inch in a negotiation. He got his guy and for a reasonable cost. Detroit got a decent pick for someone that was done with their org.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yeah like I also saw before seeing an article today, not that I know where it would be now, that the numbers show the last 10 years the Blackhawks have the most draft picks across the league at 90.... sure that's a long timeframe, but still the last 5 years, they also are tied for #1 with Buffalo. They aren't really in a short on picks fearful state.

Someone like Duclair just because he's down in the AHL still is a huge asset to give up. A 3rd has no impact on a guy they really have zero reason to trade unless they're blown away by some other prospect coming back.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Jurco was decent I guess. Played 12 minutes mostly with Hossa and Kero. He had a shot or two and made a couple passes but overall nothing special. Defensively he isn't usually a liability.

The frustration with Jurco is the guy plays 160 games and does almost nothing that stands out. He's not a leader. I don't think he fits the spectacular ability of the Hawks stars in the way Hartman and Schmaltz have. If Jurco is your best option on the 3rd line I'd be concerned. Hossa needs help. I can see on the 4th line as a safe player to eat up a few minutes but not more.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
I don't think many people are banking on jurco being an allstar for us going into the playoffs.

But, he replaces desi/tootoo to get off the roster, and he makes the bottom line better at least, and at best he really clicks with hossa and things take off.

Low cost, high reward deal. Hopefully another forward coming from bowman.

i'd hold off until he's 10-15 games in. he tried our bottom line or two and he was brutal. Solid skillset but low hockey IQ.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Looked alright in the first game, obviously has talent. Hopefully he'll continue on playing with Hossa the Master teammate for a while, he can make almost anyone look good. Will become a solid top 9 player with the superior supporting cast he'll enjoy on the Hawks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad