Confirmed Trade: [CHI/CAR] Scott Darling UFA rights for 2017 3rd rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I really like this deal for a couple of reasons

1) Carolina has a pretty good skater dquad and IMO Ward has been a massive letdown to the team for years. Hes really held them back
2)Darling could be the Talbot and his numbers are really strong. Good low cost bet

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Obv Carolina won the trade

.... what? Hawks got a third round pick for essentially nothing. Darling was walking this offseason. If the Canes sign him, this'd be a win-win trade. They hopefully get their starter for the next several years, we get a free draft pick.

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
Young team that plays good d, has a great young d core, was close to the playoffs except from goaltending and he only needs to be good enough to spell Ward while having the opportunity to take Ward's job to be number one....and the canes will pay probably as much as anyone will for him.

How many better options does he have? It's on a plate for him in Carolina.

Considering Ward's decline it shouldn't even be that hard to take over the starter role. On the other hand, Carolina gave him that inexplicable contract last year so who knows how long they will keep going with Cam?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
What else will CAR expose in expansion? Vegas could have the chance to talk with Darling and only if he would sign with Vegas it would count as the expansion pick. Vegas can't lose Darling. CAR needs to sign him before expansion otherwise he could be in Vegas.

I mean, extension or not, I'm pretty sure we would protect Darling and expose both Lack/Ward.

If Darling wants to play in Carolina rather than Vegas, it's pretty clear cut Vegas won't be picking him and so the Canes wouldn't need to protect him. It's only if they sign him before ED they obviously would have to protect him.

Basically any UFA can be left exposed, unless they want to go to Vegas. It's that simple.

Canes are one of the worst teams for Vegas to pick a player from.. You're looking at guys like Di Giuseppe and Nestrasil :laugh:

Young team that plays good d, has a great young d core, was close to the playoffs except from goaltending and he only needs to be good enough to spell Ward while having the opportunity to take Ward's job to be number one....and the canes will pay probably as much as anyone will for him.

How many better options does he have? It's on a plate for him in Carolina.

Indeed. Makes sense he'd want to go there.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
If Darling wants to play in Carolina rather than Vegas, it's pretty clear cut Vegas won't be picking him and so the Canes wouldn't need to protect him. It's only if they sign him before ED they obviously would have to protect him.

Basically any UFA can be left exposed, unless they want to go to Vegas. It's that simple.

You are totally wrong. Vegas will use the expansion draft as an auction. If Darling signs with Vegas during the expansion draft it doesn't mean he has to play for Vegas. Vegas could trade Darling to every team who would want him. So if I'm Darling I would wait what Vegas has to offer.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You don't want to go till 7/1 because that gives Vegas the opportunity to talk to Darling and sign him to a contract as their expansion pick from Carolina. It's not like Carolina is going to have a lot of great options for Vegas.

Yeah, Francis isn't going to wait until 7/1. If it gets that late (even to the expansion draft on 6/18), then he's not signing in Carolina.

Question though, in the scenario above, does LV get to talk with him beforehand? Or only after they select him? If it's the latter, why would LV select a guy that wouldn't sign with another team because, presumably he wants to test the market? I just don't see it. If it's the former, then that's a different story.

Anyhow, it's not even May yet so the Canes have almost 2 months. If something isn't done in by the expansion draft, it's not going to get done afterwards, regardless of what LV does.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
.... what? Hawks got a third round pick for essentially nothing. Darling was walking this offseason. If the Canes sign him, this'd be a win-win trade. They hopefully get their starter for the next several years, we get a free draft pick.

Exactly. Worst case scenario isn't even that bad for Carolina. The Canes lose a one of their three 3rd round picks, that didn't really cost them anything in the first place (Signed Stalberg as a UFA to a 1 year deal then traded him at the deadline for this pick). If he signs and plays well, it's a win-win.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Question though, in the scenario above, does LV get to talk with him beforehand? Or only after they select him? If it's the latter, why would LV select a guy that wouldn't sign with another team because, presumably he wants to test the market? I just don't see it. If it's the former, then that's a different story.

Sure, Vegas has the chance to talk with every UFA before they sign him during expansion and every other team will have the chance to get that player from Vegas. As McPhee said we will use the expansion draft as an auction. And only if Vegas signs an UFA it will count as the expansion pick. CAR has to sign Darling before expansion and Darling should wait what Vegas has to offer.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Sure, Vegas has the chance to talk with every UFA before they sign him during expansion and every other team will have the chance to get that player from Vegas. As McPhee said we will use the expansion draft as an auction. And only if Vegas signs an UFA it will count as the expansion pick. CAR has to sign Darling before expansion and Darling should wait what Vegas has to offer.

With only like 5-6 starters positions available, waiting means he could end up being the guy left standing when the music stops. He will be able to get a good deal from Carolina since they obviously want him. And with their D looking like it could be great someday soon, he could be posting some great numbers in the near future AS A PROVEN STARTER, and thus get an even bigger next contract.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ah ok. Either way, expansion draft vs. 7/1 is really irrelevant. The Canes have over 1.5 months to get him signed before the expansion draft. If they don't get it done by then, it means he doesn't want to play in Carolina or Francis isn't willing to pay what he's asking. In either of those scenarios, that won't change between the expansion draft and 7/1.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Ah ok. Either way, expansion draft vs. 7/1 is really irrelevant. The Canes have over 1.5 months to get him signed before the expansion draft. If they don't get it done by then, it means he doesn't want to play in Carolina or Francis isn't willing to pay what he's asking. In either of those scenarios, that won't change between the expansion draft and 7/1.

If I'm Darling's agent at the moment I ask for the moon, I have nothing to lose to test this out. Darling is so good that his rights were worth a 3rd. There will be other teams who would want him too.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yeah, Francis isn't going to wait until 7/1. If it gets that late (even to the expansion draft on 6/18), then he's not signing in Carolina.

Anyhow, it's not even May yet so the Canes have almost 2 months. If something isn't done in by the expansion draft, it's not going to get done afterwards, regardless of what LV does.

Vegas can talk to any unprotected pending UFA, and sign them in the window before the ED--they wouldn't need to wait until 7/1. However if Vegas does so then the signed UFA counts as their ED pick from that team.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
You are totally wrong. Vegas will use the expansion draft as an auction. If Darling signs with Vegas during the expansion draft it doesn't mean he has to play for Vegas. Vegas could trade Darling to every team who would want him. So if I'm Darling I would wait what Vegas has to offer.

Eh.. why on earth would Darling go through such trouble when he's already free to do whatever he wants this summer? Easier just to wait and see what teams offer and then make the choice yourself. You pay your agents to do the auctioning part. Giving Vegas control of you for minimal gain seems just unnecessary.

Im sure there's going to be some players they pick for trading purposes, but UFA's aren't one of them (unless again, that player is fine with playing for Vegas if a trade doesn't happen right away and that's something that is impossible to know for us).

Hitting the free market is great for any player and that's where you want to make the right choice, term-wise, money-wise, location-wise, team-wise etc. etc. because for once you can. Passing on that opportunity just to be a chess piece for someone else doesn't sound something you'd want.

Last edited:

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Do you think the Hurricanes could finally have Cam Ward start less than another goalie? They seem to be super loyal to him.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Vegas can talk to any unprotected pending UFA, and sign them in the window before the ED--they wouldn't need to wait until 7/1. However if Vegas does so then the signed UFA counts as their ED pick from that team.

Thanks!

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Do you think the Hurricanes could finally have Cam Ward start less than another goalie? They seem to be super loyal to him.

They played Anton Khudobin more than him in 13/14, because Khudobin was better than Ward that season. Other than that though, every other goalie they've brought in has failed to be better than Cam. It has less to do about loyalty and more to do about other guys just not being good enough.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So with or without this trade, what do people see as "market value" for Darling when taking into account everything (market, his play, expansion, etc...)?

Here are some comparable recent signings:

Allen (2016) - 4 years / $4.4MM AAV / Signing age 25
Talbot (2016) - 3 years / $4.2MM AAV / Signing age 28
Andersen (2016) - 5 years / $5.0MM AAV / Signing age 26
Dubnyk (2015) - 6 years / $4.3MM AAV / Signing age 29

Are people expecting that he's going to get a Tablot type deal? More? Less? I'd like to know other's thoughts.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
So with or without this trade, what do people see as "market value" for Darling when taking into account everything (market, his play, expansion, etc...)?

Here are some comparable recent signings:

Allen (2016) - 4 years / $4.4MM AAV / Signing age 25
Talbot (2016) - 3 years / $4.2MM AAV / Signing age 28
Andersen (2016) - 5 years / $5.0MM AAV / Signing age 26
Dubnyk (2015) - 6 years / $4.3MM AAV / Signing age 29

Are people expecting that he's going to get a Tablot type deal? More? Less? I'd like to know other's thoughts.

I think in line with Talbot, yeah.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Eh.. why on earth would Darling go through such trouble when he's already free to do whatever he wants this summer? Easier just to wait and see what teams offer and then make the choice yourself. You pay your agents to do the auctioning part. Giving Vegas control of you for minimal gain seems just unnecessary.

Im sure there's going to be some players they pick for trading purposes, but UFA's aren't one of them (unless again, that player is fine with playing for Vegas if a trade doesn't happen right away and that's something that is impossible to know for us).

Hitting the free market is great for any player and that's where you want to make the right choice, term-wise, money-wise, location-wise, team-wise etc. etc. because for once you can. Passing on that opportunity just to be a chess piece for someone else doesn't sound something you'd want.

This is very easy. In July you could lose the race for a goalie spot. If you can have a race in June without losing a spot why not trying it. That's not trouble, that's a better chance to have. He wouldn't give Vegas control, Vegas would just offer him choices on different teams with different term and money and he could choose what he wants. Easily to put in his contract that Vegas will trade him to the team he has chosen. This happens only because CAR won't expose something else. But CAR could pay Vegas too not to take Darling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad