Confirmed Trade: [CHI/CAR] Scott Darling UFA rights for 2017 3rd rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
And that team can talk with many other goalies then too. CAR could have waited for July too, instead they wasted a 3rd pick and forgot that they might have to pay Vegas too. Till the expansion draft Darling's agent should ask for the moon.

Why would we pay Vegas? We'll just sign Darling and, if necessary, expose both Ward and Lack. If you want to roll the dice with either of those two be our guest, though as some other Canes posters have said it's probably more likely that Ward retires and goes in to coaching then plays elsewhere long-term.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I don't think there is any real chance that Vegas takes Ward. Even if they were prone to considering it, Ward's personal off-ice life (including his son's hearing impairment; all his doctors and support personnel being in Raleigh, the increased difficulty of socially integrating a special-needs child in a new area, etc.) makes it likely he'd retire rather than move his family to play elsewhere. That has to be enough to give Vegas pause, if not deter them entirely.

I don't know, he seems a bit young to retire. Also still healthy and good enough to be a backup somewhere. I wouldn't mind him staying in CAR for that purpose, if they would use him that way and not keep overplaying him, so a future #1 never gets established. As for his son, I know it would certainly be preferable and easier for him to stay in CAR, there are very good medical facilities all across the US that I'm sure could help with his situation. It really depends if he's ready to hang'em up or not...he's still very competitive it seems. I'd be surprised if he did.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Yes, too easy.

On July 1 he can sign with the team of his choice, who would then not give up any assets or other compensation for his rights.

Voila! No middleman.

I would guess that Darling is looking for a starting job, and has to find a team willing to pay him As a starter. Let's see....
Winnipeg Calgary, Dallas, and Carolina needing a number 1 goalie.... And Carolina obviously wants him...... No way Darling pases this up for another backup job....
He's an American.. so I doubt he would prefer to play in Canada....

So that leaves Dallas and Carolina....

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I would guess that Darling is looking for a starting job, and has to find a team willing to pay him As a starter. Let's see....
Winnipeg Calgary, Dallas, and Carolina needing a number 1 goalie.... And Carolina obviously wants him...... No way Darling pases this up for another backup job....

I don't think either Calgary or Dallas would or could take a chance on Darling, who no one really knows is any better than what those teams have had recently. Canes are the team most likely to take the chance on the list you give I think.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

Plenty of Americans play in Canada and have chosen to play in Canada. That's just poor reasoning.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Plenty of Americans play in Canada and have chosen to play in Canada. That's just poor reasoning.

Apparently you missed the article about free agent hockey players that stated Winipeg was the least requested city by said free agents....

Also Darling was born in Norfolk, not sure how much time he spent in that area.....

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Philly needs one too.

But yes, Winnipeg, Calgary, Dallas, Carolina, Vegas and Philly....so 6 possible starter spots.
Bishop, Darling, Mason, Miller, Fleury, Miller, Elliot....7 guys wanting those spots.
Then add in that Vegas could get their goalie spots filled thru the ED like Raanta, Grubauer, Korpisalo, etc..

So there is going to be 1-3 starters that will have to take backup jobs just due to supply and demand. And for a wanna be starter in Darling, to walk away from one of the 6 teams offering him that spot, would be dumb. He can sign a nice, fair deal for 2-3 years behind a defense that is only getting better. Then he can go after an even bigger contract as he will be hopefully a proven starter with good numbers.

Darling will sign with them.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Great fit for Canes

Sure Darling has his choice of teams, but looking at the young Canes roster, this might be a great place for Darling to grow.
Doesn't matter if Lack and Ward are still Canes. The Canes are close to a playoff spot and Darling if he plays to "an average NHLer" would help Canes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad