OT: Chess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Someday I'm gonna post about a Junior that @Harbour Dog has never heard of before. ;) I had the artist Neil Young playlist in my que so I can still listen to all his songs on Spotify.

100957.jpeg

Tykhon Cherniaiev - Professional Streamer, Minecrafter, and Chess Prodigy

"The 11-year-old Candidate Master from the Ukraine is streaming regularly on Twitch.tv and YouTube. But his passion for chess and streaming started even earlier. In our interview, Tykhon tells us how he learned to play chess, what Minecraft has to do with his English-speaking skills, and why he always seems to be in a good mood. Furthermore, we take a look at one of his favourite games, including nice, insightful analysis".​

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Someday I'm gonna post about a Junior that @Harbour Dog has never heard of before. ;) I had the artist Neil Young playlist in my que so I can still listen to all his songs on Spotify.

100957.jpeg

Tykhon Cherniaiev - Professional Streamer, Minecrafter, and Chess Prodigy

"The 11-year-old Candidate Master from the Ukraine is streaming regularly on Twitch.tv and YouTube. But his passion for chess and streaming started even earlier. In our interview, Tykhon tells us how he learned to play chess, what Minecraft has to do with his English-speaking skills, and why he always seems to be in a good mood. Furthermore, we take a look at one of his favourite games, including nice, insightful analysis".

Never took long; I hadn't heard of this kid before!

He has been doing some absolutely remarkable things! It has to be comparable to, if not outpacing, a young Magnus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
27857.50cc7fe2.630x354o.52e72c8f1b2d@2x.png

Who Will Grab the Last Two Candidates Spots in The FIDE Grand Prix?

"The first Grand Prix was held in 1807, and it was a horserace. Literally. The first chess Grand Prix was not until two centuries later in 2008. The 2022 FIDE Grand Prix begins shortly, and it will determine the last two players for June's Candidates Tournament in Madrid".

I'm taking Ding, Liren and Aronian. Outside of the Candidates, Aronian is tough as you can see below:
Number of games in database: 3,451
Years covered: 1993 to 2021
Last FIDE rating: 2773 (2778 rapid, 2740 blitz)
Highest rating achieved in database: 2830
Overall record: +592 -237 =987 (59.8%) @Harbour Dog

Reactions: Harbour Dog

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
So…I asked about a newbie opening repertoire, but I forgot to ask about practicing it.

I want to keep it as simple as possible and not work on stuff above my skill level. Still, I know the opening principles, and other 101 stuff; relative to the general population (lol) I’ve played a shit-ton of chess, so I’m not like “How does the horsey move?”

From what I can gather, 90% of my time should be spent learning end games, but during the other 10% when I want to play a game, I’d at least like to have the rough idea of the first 1-4 moves. The openings are part of the fun for me too.

My end goal is to beat @Harbour Dog 1/10 times instead of 1/25 times. This is my napkin-list based on prior feedback from the @ORRFForever & Harb Doge:

:yoda:
Vienna Game
1. e4 e5 2. Nc3

Smith-Morra Gambit

1. e4 c5 2. d4 cxd4 3. c3

:darth:
Sicilian Defense
1. e4 c5 2. ???

Grunfeld Defense
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5

I remember a couple of years ago I found this website for drilling openings: http://openings.chessbase.com/?lang=en

It’s not intuitive at all, and I shouldn’t be “drilling” openings, lol, but I thought it was super-interesting for a free resource.

Last edited:
Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Sicilian Defense […]
1. e4 c5 2. ???
Re : "The openings are part of the fun for me too."

Of course. They are a ton of fun to study.

Forgive me but I'm not sure what you are looking for. If you are looking for a quick Sicilian you can memorize, I play the Najdorf (first 5 moves)...

e4, c5...

stagram.php

Nf3, d6...

stagram.php

d4 cd...

stagram.php

NxP(d4), Nf6...

stagram.php

Nc3, a6...

stagram.php

With this being the desired (eventual) look...

stagram.php

... and play aRc8 after you move your b8 Knight.

Remember, when playing the Sicilian, a good measurement of whether you have equalized is when you can play d6 -> d5 safely.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW and Harbour Dog

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
So…I asked about a newbie opening repertoire, but I forgot to ask about practicing it.

I want to keep it as simple as possible and not work on stuff above my skill level. Still, I know the opening principles, and other 101 stuff; relative to the general population (lol) I’ve played a shit-ton of chess, so I’m not like “How does the horsey move?”

From what I can gather, 90% of my time should be spent learning end games, but during the other 10% when I want to play a game, I’d at least like to have the rough idea of the first 1-4 moves. The openings are part of the fun for me too.

My end goal is to beat @Harbour Dog 1/10 times instead of 1/25 times.

This is my napkin-list based on prior feedback from the @ORRFForever & Harb Doge:

*White*

Vienna Game
1. e4 e5 2. Nc3

Smith-Morra Gambit
1. e4 c5 2. d4 cxd4 3. c3

*Black*

Sicilian Defense […]
1. e4 c5 2. ???

Grunfeld Defense

Endgames are definitely the most important part to practice, you're right.

But not knowing what you're doing for the first half dozen moves of the opening can stop you from seeing endgames often enough.

I don't know the Grunfeld or the Vienna game well, but would be happy to research them both enough to give you some tips.

In the Smith-Morra, after the capture on c3, you can offer them the b2 pawn as well! It puts you two pawns down, but the position is actually losing for Black. A player that knows the Smith-Morra well enough, won't capture on b2 though, and you'll eventually just take on c3 with your Knight.

Developing Nf3 and Bc4 are staples in the position. And Bf4, preparing to push the e pawn to e5 is common. Long term, you can get your rooks to the d file, and there are some very dangerous tactics that comes from either e5, or playing Nc3-Nb5 at the right moment. Black can get very uncomfortable, very suddenly. Lots of forks and pins that can come on the queenside.

Black's best response to the Smith-Morra is to play e6 early, and then Ne7-Ng6, because this effectively stops the e5 pawn push and leaves Black basically, imo, up a pawn. I highly doubt that many players know that they're supposed to play that line though.

In the Sicilian, the steadiest opening that will give you the unbalanced game you want most frequently, may be the Najdorf (1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6). I play this, but with a messed up move order that I would recommend for anybody at or below my level. Instead of 5...a6, try 5...e5. White very rarely responds with the correct 6.Bb4+, and sometimes even falls into traps.

If White plays 6.Nb5, then 6...a6 7.Na3 b5, and you've gobbled up a bunch of queenside space while also threatening a fork with b4.

If White plays 6.Nf5, then 6...Nxe5. You're either up a pawn, or he plays 7.Nxg7, and you get to develop your Bishop with a free tempo.

Long term in these positions, I like getting Be6, Nc6, and Qc7 in. You should try to trade with his Knight when it goes to d5, and then slowly force your pawns up the board.

That was a lot! Any questions at all, I'm happy to answer.

Reactions: CLW and ORRFForever

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

Forgive me but I'm not sure what you are looking for. If you are looking for a quick Sicilian you can memorize, I play the Najdorf (first 5 moves)...

e4 c5

stagram.php

Nf3 d6

stagram.php

d4 cd

stagram.php

NxP(d4) Nf6

stagram.php

Nc3 a6...

stagram.php

stagram.php

Remember (when playing the Sicilian) that a good measurement of whether you have equalized is when you can play d6 -> d5 safely.

Lmao, exactly the opening that I broke down. Except I don't think a6 is necessary at lower levels. The only reason it's bad for Black is because White is supposed to answer with Bb5+, but in my experience, that very rarely happens at my level or below.

Edit - that's an interesting tidbit about knowing when you're equalized. I guess I've kind of learned to recognize that it's super comfortable once I can push d5, but I've never tied it directly to equalizing.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Lmao, exactly the opening that I broke down. Except I don't think a6 is necessary at lower levels. The only reason it's bad for Black is because White is supposed to answer with Bb4+, but in my experience, that very rarely happens at my level or below.

Edit - that's an interesting tidbit about knowing when you're equalized. I guess I've kind of learned to recognize that it's super comfortable once I can push d5, but I've never tied it directly to equalizing.
Beat ya! :)

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Grunfeld Defense

And a little Grunfeld (main line)...

d4 Nf6...

stagram.php

c4, g6...

stagram.php

Nc3, d5...

stagram.php

cd, NxP(d5)...

stagram.php

e4, NxN...

stagram.php

cd, Bg7...

stagram.php

Black Castles and things get interesting...

stagram.php

Your goal as Black is to attack White's d4 pawn. To do so, you can play c5...

stagram.php

then Nc6...

stagram.php

Qa5 pins the c3 pawn that protects the d4 pawn...

stagram.php

Bg4 pins the Knight on f3 that protects the d4 pawn...

stagram.php

... although many players will put the g1 Knight on e2 and play the f2 - f3 to prevent the pinning and continue to protect the pawn on d4...

stagram.php

In the Grunfeld, like with many hyper modern defenses, Black's white B is a "difficult piece" and finding it a home is a pain in the ass so if you can trade it off for a White minor piece (even a Knight), do it...

stagram.php

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW and Harbour Dog

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

e4, c5...

stagram.php

Nf3, d6...

stagram.php

d4 cd...

stagram.php

NxP(d4), Nf6...

stagram.php

Nc3, a6...

stagram.php

stagram.php

... and play aRc8 after you move your b8 Knight.

Remember (when playing the Sicilian) that a good measurement of whether you have equalized is when you can play d6 -> d5 safely.

But not knowing what you're doing for the first half dozen moves of the opening can stop you from seeing endgames often enough.

I don't know the Grunfeld or the Vienna game well, but would be happy to research them both enough to give you some tips.

In the Smith-Morra, after the capture on c3, you can offer them the b2 pawn as well! It puts you two pawns down, but the position is actually losing for Black. A player that knows the Smith-Morra well enough, won't capture on b2 though, and you'll eventually just take on c3 with your Knight.

Developing Nf3 and Bc4 are staples in the position. And Bf4, preparing to push the e pawn to e5 is common. Long term, you can get your rooks to the d file, and there are some very dangerous tactics that comes from either e5, or playing Nc3-Nb5 at the right moment. Black can get very uncomfortable, very suddenly. Lots of forks and pins that can come on the queenside.

Black's best response to the Smith-Morra is to play e6 early, and then Ne7-Ng6, because this effectively stops the e5 pawn push and leaves Black basically, imo, up a pawn. I highly doubt that many players know that they're supposed to play that line though.

In the Sicilian, the steadiest opening that will give you the unbalanced game you want most frequently, may be the Najdorf (1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6). I play this, but with a messed up move order that I would recommend for anybody at or below my level. Instead of 5...a6, try 5...e5. White very rarely responds with the correct 6.Bb4+, and sometimes even falls into traps.

If White plays 6.Nb5, then 6...a6 7.Na3 b5, and you've gobbled up a bunch of queenside space while also threatening a fork with b4.

If White plays 6.Nf5, then 6...Nxe5. You're either up a pawn, or he plays 7.Nxg7, and you get to develop your Bishop with a free tempo.

Long term in these positions, I like getting Be6, Nc6, and Qc7 in. You should try to trade with his Knight when it goes to d5, and then slowly force your pawns up the board.

Nothing specific. I guess just study moves and ideal positions? What you posted is nice actually @ORRFForever . Cool graphics. I like seeing the positions with only one side, without going down the move variation rabbit holes that other resources usually include.

Yeah @Harbour Dog , just like the opening moves, concepts, and ideal positions. What @ORRFForever was pretty on the money.

I’ll have to get used to e4. I almost always played d4, but it felt kind of…cramped, lol.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

I’m confused about this b2 part. What else would you play besides 4. Nxc3? Bc4? That’s yolo as f***. :laugh:

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
What do you play as black against early g4 lines (6. g4) in the Najdorf/Scheveningen? I never quite could wrap my head around those even if I love the Sicilian as Black.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I’m confused about this b2 part. What else would you play besides 4. Nxc3? Bc4? That’s yolo as f***. :laugh:

Bc4 or Nf3, yup. You can leave their pawn on c3 for a couple moves before you capture it.

If and when they take on b2, you can immediately capture there with yor Bishop, and you are now two pieces ahead in development with some crazy strong Bishops! I'm exaggerating that it's losing for Black haha, but it is brutal to play as Black.

You have two semi-open files for your Rooks, total control over the diagonal that aims at their Kingside, and should have already out-developed them 3-1 or 2-0.

I play against the Smith-Morra a lot, and I never take on b2 when it's offered; which is over half the time.

Reactions: CLW

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
What do you play as black against early g4 lines (6. g4) in the Najdorf/Scheveningen? I never quite could wrap my head around those even if I love the Sicilian as Black.

The line I play actually very, very rarely leads to a position where White is pushing g4, so it's not a position that I know how to handle either. I'm effectively playing the Najdorf up a tempo (no a6). And since I play an early Nf6, and e5, I have a Knight and Bishop targetting g4 nearly right out of the gate.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
The line I play actually very, very rarely leads to a position where White is pushing g4, so it's not a position that I know how to handle either. I'm effectively playing the Najdorf up a tempo (no a6). And since I play an early Nf6, and e5, I have a Knight and Bishop targetting g4 nearly right out of the gate.

Yeah that makes sense, I'll give it a shot thanks :) Isn't that the Najdorf line that was played in one of the Carlsen WC matches, was it against Caruana?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Yeah that makes sense, I'll give it a shot thanks :) Isn't that the Najdorf line that was played in one of the Carlsen WC matches, was it against Caruana?

Kind of. It's an in-between of the Najdorf and the Sveshnikov, since I still play 2.d6 and not 2.Nf3.

I recognize that what I'm doing has a glaring weakness (5.Bb5+), but until players start finding it often against me (currently only happens like 5% of the time, I believe), I'm going to keep it up.

The Sveshnikov itself should be a big disruption to g4 plans though. It has the same effect of targetting that square twice very early.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Bc4 or Nf3, yup. You can leave their pawn on c3 for a couple moves before you capture it.

If and when they take on b2, you can immediately capture there with yor Bishop, and you are now two pieces ahead in development with some crazy strong Bishops! I'm exaggerating that it's losing for Black haha, but it is brutal to play as Black.

You have two semi-open files for your Rooks, total control over the diagonal that aims at their Kingside, and should have already out-developed them 3-1 or 2-0.

I play against the Smith-Morra a lot, and I never take on b2 when it's offered; which is over half the time.
You know it looks like you’re right. There’s like a one-move crossover with something called the Morphy Gambit, then all of the sudden you have like 1-2 Knights + 1 Bishop developed and all of black’s pieces are still sitting on the last rank. :laugh:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
You know it looks like you’re right. There’s like a one-move crossover with something called the Morphy Gambit, then all of the sudden you have like 1-2 Knights + 1 Bishop developed and all of black’s pieces are still sitting on the last rank. :laugh:

Lol, yup. If Black doesn't know the proper way to answer, things can get out of hand pretty quickly.

I've heard of the Morphy Gambit, but will have to check and see exactly what it is. I believe during the last Pog Champs, Daniel Negreanu's coach had him playing the Smith-Morra, and he got into the Morphy Gambit a couple times.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Ding and Andreikin had to withdraw from the first leg of the Grand Prix due to health and Visa issues. Replaced by Esipenko and Wojtasek.

Hopefully they are able to re-work the schedule so that they can still play the next two and don't get DQed from the Grand Prix altogether.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
101078.jpeg

Fighting for the last two spots in the Candidates

"The Candidates Tournament is scheduled to take place in Madrid later this year, and there are only two spots still up for grabs, with these two qualifiers set to be decided at the FIDE Grand Prix Series. The first leg of the series kicks off tomorrow in Berlin, only three days after FIDE announced that Ding Liren and Dmitry Andreikin will not make it to the German capital — Radoslaw Wojtaszek and Andrey Esipenko are their replacements".​

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Lol, yup. If Black doesn't know the proper way to answer, things can get out of hand pretty quickly.

I've heard of the Morphy Gambit, but will have to check and see exactly what it is. I believe during the last Pog Champs, Daniel Negreanu's coach had him playing the Smith-Morra, and he got into the Morphy Gambit a couple times.
It’s like Nf3 or something during the Smith-Morra Gambit. Nothing dramatic.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
101078.jpeg

Fighting for the last two spots in the Candidates

"The Candidates Tournament is scheduled to take place in Madrid later this year, and there are only two spots still up for grabs, with these two qualifiers set to be decided at the FIDE Grand Prix Series. The first leg of the series kicks off tomorrow in Berlin, only three days after FIDE announced that Ding Liren and Dmitry Andreikin will not make it to the German capital — Radoslaw Wojtaszek and Andrey Esipenko are their replacements".​

Good, it says in that article that they'll both play the next two events; so all is well!

Kudos to Esipenko and Wojtaszek for agreeing to play, and change their own schedules, at the last minute.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1037401.aac1fba2.668x375o.cd815994130f.png

Nakamura Wins Arena Kings After Titled Tuesday Sweep

"GM Hikaru Nakamura won the first week of Arena Kings Season 9 with a score of 3-1 in the final knockout match, defeating second-place GM Jose Eduardo Martinez Alcantara with one game to spare. Nakamura also swept both Titled Tuesday events the day before, performing dominantly in Chess.com's online events this week. IM Le Tuan Minh finished in third and Sundram Kumar, the only top-four finisher to have no verified title on his profile, finished in fourth. 1660 players participated in this week's arena".

He's so good. The 3 highest rated online players in FIDE tourneys are Alireza, Carlsen, and Giri. Go Rangers! I just wish @Harbour Dog knew who my avatar is.​

Reactions: KatChe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad