OT: Chess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
Chess right now reminds me a lot of Formula 1. There just so many talented, likeable players! It's almost hard to pick favorites. One of my favorites will always be Aronian. He is actually REALLY funny. The amount of shit he talks in the St Louis Rapid tournaments is hilarious.

I do think Nakamura has lost a step. However while I might not care for him, I respect the fact that he's really found his niche with streaming and bringing chess to a MUCH larger audience, and for that I give him nothing but credit.

Reactions: CLW and X66

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
54e7ce0b36305_peter_leko.jpg
Ding and MVL are my two favourites. Keymer, Shirov, and Nakamura, are probably the guys I'm most interested to see. Don't expect much from Shirov, but it would be a great story if he can manage to put a run together. Keymer has been under Leko's wing for years now, but it only just feels like he's starting to get to the level that was expected of him. And Nakamura feels like a huge wild card.
I forgot to say I'm rooting for Nakamura and Shirov. I still love it when Hikaru said "Starting to realize that I am the only person who is going to be able to stop Sauron (Carlsen) in the context of chess history". :laugh: At his peak Peter Leko was rated 2763. @Harbour Dog

My Candidates tourney would be:

1. Firouzja - The Iran-born 18-year-old, who now represents France, is the third youngest Candidate after Magnus Carlsen and Bobby Fischer.
8. Giri

4. Shak
5. Nepo

3. Caruana
6. Aronian

2. Ding Liren
7. So

Last edited:
Reactions: Brief Candle

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Judit Polgar vs Etienne Bacrot (1999) View from the Bacrot
"View from the Bacrot" (game of the day Mar-23-2006)
Rapid Match (1999) (rapid), Bastia FRA, rd 2, Nov-04
Spanish Game: Morphy Defense (C78) · 0-1

Even in rapid, Polgar didn't lose much in 1999.​

@Harbour Dog Bacrot became the youngest grandmaster in history at the time—only 14 years and two months old, was the youngest French champ ever, won a record 8 French titles, was a top 10 player rated 2749, and he's still won an impressive 61.3% of his games. He's only 8 days past his 39th birthday, rated 2642, and is out of the top 100. These days he works mostly as a second, for instance with MVL. I realize he's playing in the Grand Prix. Did his career simply decline with age? What happened?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I forgot to say I'm rooting for Nakamura and Shirov. I still love it when Hikaru said "Starting to realize that I am the only person who is going to be able to stop Sauron (Carlsen) in the context of chess history". :laugh:@Harbour Dog
Good one.

He is very respectful of Magnus - altho, I'm not sure Carlsen returned the favour earlier in their careers.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Judit Polgar vs Etienne Bacrot (1999) View from the Bacrot
"View from the Bacrot" (game of the day Mar-23-2006)
Rapid Match (1999) (rapid), Bastia FRA, rd 2, Nov-04
Spanish Game: Morphy Defense (C78) · 0-1

Even in rapid, Polgar didn't lose much in 1999.​

@Harbour Dog Bacrot became the youngest grandmaster in history at the time—only 14 years and two months old, was the youngest French champ ever, won a record 8 French titles, was a top 10 player rated 2749, and he's still won an impressive 61.3% of his games. He's only 8 days past his 39th birthday, rated 2642, and is out of the top 100. These days he works mostly as a second, for instance with MVL. I realize he's playing in the Grand Prix. Did his career simply decline with age? What happened?

I'm not sure exactly what happened with Bacrot. He may have just hit his wall much earlier than was expected.

Wei Yi is kind of the same, albeit at a higher tier. Skyrocketed up the rankings, got into the 2700-2750 range at a young age, and then just never took that next step (yet).

To liken it to hockey prospects, I guess it's kind of like a guy who's built to play the pro game exceptionally well, and has early success because of it, but lacks that extra gear to avoid being passed off by his contemporaries as they gain more experience.

Reactions: Elvis P

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
100610.jpeg

A selection of brilliancies: Spassky faces the Sicilian

"When Boris Spassky, World Champion from 1969 to 1972, had to play the Sicilian with the white pieces, he seemed to get particularly inspired. Today, the living legend from Leningrad turns 85, and to celebrate him we share a selection of brilliant games he played with 1.e4 c5 during his illustrious career".​

Reactions: CLW

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I do think Nakamura has lost a step. However while I might not care for him, I respect the fact that he's really found his niche with streaming and bringing chess to a MUCH larger audience, and for that I give him nothing but credit.

100%

I think he acknowledges it on stream as well, that him streaming and not playing high level chess as much as he used to is a determent to his game.

BUT, he's become one of the most influential chess players of all time now thanks to his streaming, a lot of my buddies that got into chess during the pandemic mostly did it through his channel. Nakamura and Levy both have found lightning in a bottle it seems, people might not love their personalities, but they've helped the game grow for sure.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Magnus Carlsen vs Parham Maghsoodloo (2021)
World Blitz Championship (2021) (blitz), Warsaw POL, rd 13, Dec-30
French Defense: Advance. Wade Variation (C02) · 1-0

I imagine you playing the first six White moves that Carlsen did. Do you? @ORRFForever

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. e5 c5 4. c3 Qb6 5. Nf3 Bd7 6. Bd3 Bb5
I HATE playing the stupid French. If I'm White, I see Black trying to exchange his lousy white B for my wonderful white B. That aint right. :mad:

You don't see the French being played at a HIGH level very often.

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
101046.jpeg

A strong duo: An interview with Pia and Anna Cramling

"Chess is an integral part of the lives of Pia Cramling and her daughter Anna. But mother and daughter are successful in very different ways. While Pia Cramling has been one of the world's best women player for decades, Anna Cramling Bellón has now become a successful chess streamer. But both pursue a common goal. As they explain in an interview with Tatiana Flores, they both want to promote chess and bring more women into the community".​

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
101046.jpeg

A strong duo: An interview with Pia and Anna Cramling

"Chess is an integral part of the lives of Pia Cramling and her daughter Anna. But mother and daughter are successful in very different ways. While Pia Cramling has been one of the world's best women player for decades, Anna Cramling Bellón has now become a successful chess streamer. But both pursue a common goal. As they explain in an interview with Tatiana Flores, they both want to promote chess and bring more women into the community".​

Anna started showing up in my YT recommendations a while ago. Delightful and funny. I remembered Pia from my active playing days when I was a kid/teenager so from the name I figured Anna was Pia's daughter but then I got confused about the Spanish part until I saw a video with Anna and her father.

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
maxresdefault.jpg

^ Thanks for posting. IMHO if Polina Shuvalova wants to become a GM she will. She's the 13th best woman in the world.

Last edited:

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
101048.jpeg

Composed yet ruthless: Arjun Erigaisi

"Last Saturday, Arjun Erigaisi won the Tata Steel Challengers tournament with a round to spare. Despite having secured tournament victory, the Indian collected one more win on Sunday, thus finishing the event with a remarkable 10½/13 score. We take a look at some of Arjun’s most successful performances, and reflect on the change of attitude that has worked so well for him".
80↑54Erigaisi Arjun2659.9+27.92450.02745.018
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He just moved up 54 ranking places and 28 rating points ahead of Hou Yifan. Is he the next Esipenko? @Harbour Dog

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
101048.jpeg

Composed yet ruthless: Arjun Erigaisi

"Last Saturday, Arjun Erigaisi won the Tata Steel Challengers tournament with a round to spare. Despite having secured tournament victory, the Indian collected one more win on Sunday, thus finishing the event with a remarkable 10½/13 score. We take a look at some of Arjun’s most successful performances, and reflect on the change of attitude that has worked so well for him".
80↑54Erigaisi Arjun2659.9+27.92450.02745.018
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He just moved up 54 ranking places and 28 rating points ahead of Hou Yifan. Is he the next Episenko? @Harbour Dog

Honestly, I think he's already at Esipenko's level. He's another of one of those kids who has had their rating progress stunted by the pandemic.

There are a lot of people that have his potential as being greater than Sarin and Pragg's, if we compare him to other young Indian GMs. Doubtful that people would put him ahead of Gukesh, for potential, but he's right there with those four future forces.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Anna started showing up in my YT recommendations a while ago. Delightful and funny. I remembered Pia from my active playing days when I was a kid/teenager so from the name I figured Anna was Pia's daughter but then I got confused about the Spanish part until I saw a video with Anna and her father.
It is so nice to see women playing chess.

I remember playing in a tournament in Montreal many years ago. On a Saturday night, I walked into the auditorium and it was 500 ugly guys. Not a woman in sight - okay, there were a few but you know what I mean. It was so depressing.

Even if the ratio is 10 to 1, it's nice to see a pretty face in the crowd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harbour Dog and CLW

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
maxresdefault.jpg

^ Thanks for posting. IMHO if Polina Shuvalova wants to become a GM she will. She's the 13th best woman in the world.
I've only played one woman in a tournament. She was on the Canadian Olympiad team. IIRC, she won.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
It is so nice to see women playing chess.

I remember playing in a tournament in Montreal many years ago - on a Saturday night. I walked into the auditorium and it was 500 ugly guys. Not a woman in sight - okay, there were a few but you know what I mean. It was so depressing.

Even if the ratio is 10 to 1, it would be nice to see a pretty face.

So true, it got a bit stuffy to play against only "ugly guys" lol. Hope it's much better nowadays, sure looks like more girls are involved now at least on the internet.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You get older and you feel like your mind is turning to mush. Then you find a Mate In 5 (happened this morning) and you remember why you fell in love with Chess in the first place.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
So true, it got a bit stuffy to play against only "ugly guys" lol. Hope it's much better nowadays, sure looks like more girls are involved now at least on the internet.
I just remember thinking, "I sure wish I had a date instead of being here playing chess."

Reactions: aufheben and CLW

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Alright, so, Auf’s 0-GM Round 2:

WHITE
Vienna Game
1. e4 e5 2. Nc3
Smith-Morra Gambit
1. e4 c5 2. d4​

BLACK
Sicilian Defense
1. e4 c5
Grunfeld Defense
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5​

Reactions: Harbour Dog

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Alright, so, Auf’s 0-GM Round 2:

WHITE
Vienna Game
1. e4 e5 2. Nc3
Smith-Morra Gambit
1. e4 c5 2. d4​

BLACK
Sicilian Defense
1. e4 c5
Grunfeld Defense
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5​
Did Adam Fox take up chess since his injury? ;)

Reactions: aufheben
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad