Confirmed Trade: [WPG/MTL] Sean Monahan for 2024 1st round pick and conditional 2027 3rd round pick (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andreas Ferrari

Dale is the GOAT!!!
Apr 4, 2015
WinnerPeg
Can we have a do over? Sean had 1 lousy assist in 5 playoff games.

I swear I never heard the announcer say his name more than 2 or 3 times in 5 games.

If Montreal takes him back all we'll ask for is a dozen used pucks and an expired KFC coupon.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Can we have a do over? Sean had 1 lousy assist in 5 playoff games.

I swear I never heard the announcer say his name more than 2 or 3 times in 5 games.

If Montreal takes him back all we'll ask for is a dozen used pucks and an expired KFC coupon.
We'll take him back for that, and then turn him around and get another 1rd pick from a contender.

He's the gift that keeps on giving.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Too slow in the playoffs. Toffoli too. Fine regular season depth players. Not built for the second season. Avs were a horrible matchup for a bunch of the Winnipeg players. Bowness got outcoached but he also can’t make slow players become fast.

Figure he will go the way of Chiarot going to Detroit and probably step down to a team that didn’t make the playoffs this year who just needs a serviceable, versatile vet to help put up a few more regular season W’s to just try and make the playoffs.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Monahan was a nice fit in Winnipeg, I don’t think anyone was expecting him to be a difference maker. Even when he was in his prime he was sub-elite.

Now he’s just a middle 6 center. Good to fill some holes but not the guy to take over.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Monahan wasn't your problem your goalie can't play under pressure

Helle had a bad series but the Jets got rolled because they were chasing play and behind in transition for the vast majority of play.

Monahan wasn’t the problem but he also played zero part in any solution.

Monahan was a nice fit in Winnipeg, I don’t think anyone was expecting him to be a difference maker. Even when he was in his prime he was sub-elite.

Now he’s just a middle 6 center. Good to fill some holes but not the guy to take over.

If the Jets are handing out 1st rounders to rent guys they don’t expect to be difference makers, they should fire Chevy into the sun…yesterday.

Let’s call a spade a spade here…the Habs robbed another team for a guy on an expiring contract who did didily in the post-season.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Helle had a bad series but the Jets got rolled because they were chasing play and behind in transition for the vast majority of play.

If the Jets are handing out 1st rounders to rent guys they don’t expect to be difference makers, they should fire Chevy into the sun…yesterday.

Let’s call a spade a spade here…the Habs robbed another team for a guy on an expiring contract who did didily in the post-season.
First rounders don't hold the value you think they do. Go look at the 2018 draft and tell me which guy drafted 20-31 is worth a top six forward now except Miller? Even go from 15. Even the 2017 you've got Thomas and no one.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

You only gave up the 27th pick in weak draft. Monahan only a 3rd line center. Not as if he a core reason you lost. If your goalie played well you still be playing.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Nobody is expecting Cale Makar for a first round pick and not every rental pays off with a Cup…but yeah, you would like a guy who shows up in high leverage, high intensity situations if you are dealing a good pick for 3 months of service. That’s not a high bar.

Neither the Jets nor the Habs are my team, it’s no skin off my back. I feel like Habs fans are trying to defend this as somehow a great deal “for both sides” when clearly Hughes again came out smelling like roses. Take the victory lap. Once again he gets a first for a guy who had screaming red flags about his compatibility with playoff hockey…and if you take a look at the entire transaction from acquiring Monahan in the first place…it was pretty brilliant.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Monahan was great during the season and helped get you to the playoffs.........................but was MIA in the playoffs, along with Hellybuck and a few others....

Monahan was great during the season and helped get you to the playoffs.........................but was MIA in the playoffs, along with Hellybuck and a few others....

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
What a lousy trade.
Monahan did nothing for the Jets.
WPG was playoff bound prior to acquiring him and he did nothing to help with that.
Waste of a pick
Typical Chevy move… throw away a 1st in a player we don’t need

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
they were in a tough matchup. All of Col, Dal, and LV who ended up in their Brackett made big moves.
NYI, Wash, Didn’t make a move.
Typically better to get bottom 6 or depth additions. Guys who cost a first rarely do much.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Never watched games just caught highlights, Monahan looked slow compared to earlier in season. He played most games of anybody this season. His first full season in 5 years. He may wore down, not built up to it.

Monahan is steady 3rd line center. If Habs can't trade for top 6 forward this summer welcome Monahan back in a second. He has a lot of intangibles.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Accurate. Good middle 6C who is versatile in many areas including the physical and faceoff parts. A good secondary piece to have behind your core IMO.

I actually hope the Habs sign him for 3 years this summer.

Said it was a bad trade when we made it and its still a bad trade today. Ugh...

Trading 1st for rentals usually don't work.

5 games with 5+ goals against in EVERY game?
Didn’t know that is on Monahan, too.

Jets got the Avs in the 1st round. Avs lost last year early and it was not happening again. Jets had a great season but the Avs are on another level. Bad 1st round team to play.

Monahan was not going to the the sole reason the Jets beat the Avs. The top core needed to be.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
WPG had to address couple needs at TDL: speed and powerplay. Monahan was definitely a player who could help on PP bumper. Unfortunately, he is slow and did not help the other area. COL was just too fast for WPG and adding Monahan & Toffoli did not help in that case.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Seems like a guy they could bring back though.
Like a 4m contract for a 2-3 years.

He's never been a good playoff performer. Once upon a time there were Flames fans that were convinced he was the straw that stirred the drink for us come playoff time.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Seems like a guy they could bring back though.
Like a 4m contract for a 2-3 years.

He's never been a good playoff performer. Once upon a time there were Flames fans that were convinced he was the straw that stirred the drink for us come playoff time.
Why?
He’s does nothing for the Jets… was a lousy trade and should cost Chevy his job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad