Chelios runs mouth about Bettman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think that the only people who have any kind of right to be offended are anyone who had a family member die in the Holocaust. As far as I've seen so far on here, I'm the only Jewish person that's responded to this thread. I had an aunt die in the Holocaust. Personally, I am not offended, but I understand other Jews right to be (or blacks or homosexuals, who were persecuted as well).

The reason I am not offended? Well, I don't know if any of you are from the northern suburbs of NYC... but I've heard that term used so many times, it's pretty normal for me. In my mind, Chelios was just saying what came naturally to his mouth.

And again, I've never felt that it references the Holocaust, but rather capitol punishment.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
SuperKarateMonkey said:
you mean how bettman made modano look like the bad guy with the "cant feed my dog" quote?or how bettman made mccabe look like a bad guy with the "i'll never play under a cap" quote? i think the players are doing a fine job making themselves look bad, without bettman's help.
also, i didnt know that "so much people hate the actual product". last i check, people still like nhl hockey. unless you are suggesting that "the players are the product", which will bring up that unpleasant discussion again.
lastly, whats the point of the quotation mark around the word 'man'? are you suggesting that bettmans not a man??
Fool. None of those players actually said that. Bettman just made reporters write up the quotes. The players were too scared to come out and tell us that they never even said those quotes at all.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
colonel_korn said:
This kind of reminds me of an incident people were arguing about here a couple years ago where someone on Toronto radio was praising Wade Belak for taking on "that big gorilla" on the other team, who happened to be Peter Worrell.

I think in context it was pretty clear he was using the term to mean someone who's big and strong, not someone who's black...but it was still a fairly insensitive remark.
Exactly. I was trying to find an example like this.

A Good Flying Bird*

Tawnos said:
Wow...

Gassed is a pretty common term for getting fired around here... so I don't know where people get off thinking it has ANYTHING to do with the Holocaust. Actually, it has to do with Capital Punishment and the term itself is harmless. There is NO difference between gassed and canned.

And just so you know, I'm Jewish. Using slang that has nothing but the slightest ties to the Holocaust will never offend me. This is unreal.

It might be local slang... don't you think you're all jumping the gun just a little? And besides, no one has a right to say anything about his comments being offensive (in that aspect) except Gary Bettman.

I don't know why this thread needed to go any further than your post ... but evidently ...

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
How about a simple correlation:

How much money has Chelios earned in his NHL salary during the life of Bettman's tenure?

Since Bettman's tenure was the MOST lucrative for the players, Chelios seems to have failed to realize that during a MAJORITY of his playing career he FINANCIALLY BENEFITED from BETTMAN. :sarcasm:

And since when have the players cared about the state of the game? Even Mario's pleas for help were tossed away by members of his own union. Seems like THEY whine during the first 20 games of obstruction enforcement, the PA blocked several moves to strengthen goalie pad restrictions, etc... NOW, everyone is on the state of the game bandwagon.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
Has anyone else noticed if their media outlets have really started running with Chelios' "get the gas" comments, by the way? In particular, your respective local media outlets. I noticed just now that our station here in Denver is. Just wondering how much the media might play it up and how much it might take off around North America.

The NY Daily News noticed in a story that also was picked up by some of its Knight-Ridder peers.

Then, using language that is certain to offend, especially given Bettman's Jewish heritage, Chelios was quoted as saying: "That alone should be just cause for him to get the gas after this is all done."

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/12111588.htm

A Good Flying Bird*

CarlRacki said:
The NY Daily News noticed in a story that also was picked up by some of its Knight-Ridder peers.

Then, using language that is certain to offend, especially given Bettman's Jewish heritage, Chelios was quoted as saying: "That alone should be just cause for him to get the gas after this is all done."

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/12111588.htm

Another victory for the thought police.
Go! Freedom! Go!

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Here's my problem. Just about every single person on this board knew EXACTLY what Chelios was saying when they read that at first. It was only when they thought about it that they started to go on about people being offended. I say screw that. You knew what he meant... and that's all that should matter.

A Good Flying Bird*

blitzkriegs said:
How much money has Chelios earned in his NHL salary during the life of Bettman's tenure?

Since Bettman's tenure was the MOST lucrative for the players, Chelios seems to have failed to realize that during a MAJORITY of his playing career he FINANCIALLY BENEFITED from BETTMAN. :sarcasm:

And since when have the players cared about the state of the game? Even Mario's pleas for help were tossed away by members of his own union. Seems like THEY whine during the first 20 games of obstruction enforcement, the PA blocked several moves to strengthen goalie pad restrictions, etc... NOW, everyone is on the state of the game bandwagon.

Get real.
Bettman didn't give Chelios the keys to his fortune. The PA fought Bettman to win the system that allowed Chelios to earn his riches for being one of the best defensemen of his era.

Chelios thanking Bettman for his money would be like the owners thanking Goodenow for the recent salary cap victory.

It works in a smart-ass kind of way. but not in any meaningful sense.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
Tawnos said:
Here's my problem. Just about every single person on this board knew EXACTLY what Chelios was saying when they read that at first. It was only when they thought about it that they started to go on about people being offended. I say screw that. You knew what he meant... and that's all that should matter.

I think you might want to refresh your memory.

I never said I was offended. What I did say is that he almost assuredly meant Bettman should be fired, but that it was a thoughtless way to express that opinion.

Which fits in with Chelios' history back to the 1980s here in Montreal.

Apparently, some people have a problem with others freely expressing their opinion - which is really ironic considering they are defending Chris Chelios's right to his opinion.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
And I never said that you were offended. "it was a thoughtless way to express that opinion" is basically the same as say "if I were in the group that I perceive that to be directed at, I would be offended." And don't try to tell me it isn't the same thing. It is.

Oh, and I'm not sure if you're directing that last bit at me. But I would never think to deny someone's right to express their opinion, but that also won't stop me from criticizing that opinion if I feel it's stupidity at it's worst.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
Tawnos said:
And I never said that you were offended. "it was a thoughtless way to express that opinion" is basically the same as say "if I were in the group that I perceive that to be directed at, I would be offended." And don't try to tell me it isn't the same thing. It is.

Alright, I won't try to tell you it's the same thing.

By the way, everyone other than Tawnos, if someone says that Gorillas are stupider than ****, I'm going to say that's a pretty thoughtless thing to say, even though I'm not saying "if I were a gorilla, I would be offended".

This lockout sure is producing some spurious arguments about utter crap.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Montrealer said:
By the way, everyone other than Tawnos, if someone says that Gorillas are stupider than ****, I'm going to say that's a pretty thoughtless thing to say, even though I'm not saying "if I were a gorilla, I would be offended".

Tell me why a statement like that needs to be thought out carefully then?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Get real.
Bettman didn't give Chelios the keys to his fortune. The PA fought Bettman to win the system that allowed Chelios to earn his riches for being one of the best defensemen of his era.

Chelios thanking Bettman for his money would be like the owners thanking Goodenow for the recent salary cap victory.

It works in a smart-ass kind of way. but not in any meaningful sense.

First off, you get real smart-ass. How about finding in my post where I stated that Chelios should be thanking Bettman? I'd like to you shown me that please...

Second, 'in any meaningful sense' = fact is that Chelios had his HIGHEST income earning power during the Bettman era. Chelios claims Bettman ruined the game. However, that same era caused revenues to reach 2.1 billion, a number that was NEVER reached before Bettman came along, but at the same point in time caused many unstable franchises AND the league. Why? Because owners spent over their heads on player salaries. Players, as they have stated, benefitted the MOST from the previous CBA, just like CHelios. Gee...any reason why the league has a cap now? Stupid owners w/paying too high salaries vs. revenues generated...hmm...

And the PA fought hard for THAT deal? If you mean that the PA used the leverage of new coporate partners buying teams, new arenas that would be empty, and expansion franchises rolling in, that's reality of the situation, not fighting hard. Fighting hard is just what happened in this CBA, in which the PA got hammered.

If you want to go opinion for opinion that's fine. However, learn to interpret a post and NOT mischaracterize what the words in front of you mean, NOT what you want it to mean. You learn a thing called 'credibility.' Something you showed you sorely lack.

Last edited:

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
Tawnos said:
Tell me why a statement like that needs to be thought out carefully then?

Simply because something is not thoughtless doesn't necessarily mean it was thought out carefully. Even a miniscule amount of thought can avoid thoughtlessness, if you want to nitpick defintions.

A Good Flying Bird*

blitzkriegs said:
First off, you get real smart-ass. How about finding in my post where I stated that Chelios should be thanking Bettman? I'd like to you shown me that please...

Second, 'in any meaningful sense' = fact is that Chelios had his HIGHEST income earning power during the Bettman era. Chelios claims Bettman ruined the game. However, that same era caused revenues to reach 2.1 billion, a number that was NEVER reached before Bettman came along, but at the same point in time caused many unstable franchises AND the league. Why? Because owners spent over their heads on player salaries. Players, as they have stated, benefitted the MOST from the previous CBA, just like CHelios. Gee...any reason why the league has a cap now? Stupid owners w/paying too high salaries vs. revenues generated...hmm...

And the PA fought hard for THAT deal? If you mean that the PA used the leverage of new coporate partners buying teams, new arenas that would be empty, and expansion franchises rolling in, that's reality of the situation, not fighting hard. Fighting hard is just what happened in this CBA, in which the PA got hammered.

If you want to go opinion for opinion that's fine. However, learn to interpret a post and NOT mischaracterize what the words in front of you mean, NOT what you want it to mean. You learn a thing called 'credibility.' Something you showed you sorely lack.

Yawn.

A Good Flying Bird*

Cawz said:
Maybe it was inadvertant, but its likely that he used the term get gassed instead of get axed becasue of the target of the rant. Thats sort of the way the brain works when youre spouting off.

Ooh ... Cawz is a detective with the thought police.

Maybe that's how your brain works, Cawz. I'm sorry if that's the case. You can probably get help for it.

A Good Flying Bird*

Larionov said:
Hey, Newsguyone has got a point. Six million Jews gassed in history's most massive and appalling genocide -- no big deal, right? People should move on and stop being so sensitive about little things like the Holocaust. :amazed:

Face it - not only is Chelios a mouth breather, which we already knew, he is also an anti-Semite. Not a pleasant combination. Pro-PA types should stop trying to defend this guy or spin his comments, as they are completely indefensible.

Don't insult me by saying that I'm making light of the holocaust, okay?
It's a pretty damn weak argument and it reflects poorly on your intelligence.

You've got no freakin' idea who Chris Chelios is. Yet you call him an anti-semite, knowing damn well the damage such an accusation can cause.
This has nothing to do with being Pro-PA. (did you not see GScarptenter, a staunch pro-owner arguing against your ridiculous innuendo?)

It's about being anti-stupid.

I'd have thought that a person who is so worried about anti-semites would have more sense than to go around acting like a fascist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad