Chelios runs mouth about Bettman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Montrealer said:
Simply because something is not thoughtless doesn't necessarily mean it was thought out carefully. Even a miniscule amount of thought can avoid thoughtlessness, if you want to nitpick defintions.

Funny that you call it nitpicking when I was exaggerating.

A miniscule amount of thought will tell you that Chelios was offensive. A larger amount of thought will tell you that it really doesn't matter.

myrocketsgotcracked

Newsguyone said:

wow, does all 4000+ of your posts contain as much information and insight as this one? throughout this thread you have post nothing to contribute to the argument, whats the point of posting anything here at all?
i still dont understand why you continue to critize everybody for assuming that chelios made an offensive statement (this is a guy who threaten bettman's and his family's life before) while at the same time you are assuming he only means gassed as in getting fired.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
norrisnick said:
It wasn't a remark about genocide, planned or otherwise. Are we going to call for the resignation of refs that cruely and maliciously tell Chris Simon to "take a hike" (Trail of Tears anyone?) when he's tossed from a game? Or a coach that tells a jewish player to "hit the showers"?

This is beyond ****ing ridiculous. You have a right to be pissed when someone does something wrong, not when you think they did something wrong.
Perhaps I'm overly sensitive on that since I was raised in Germany. But t the thing is that everyone can make that connection between get the gas and the genocide, it's not too hard to come to that. And IMO people have to be a bit sensitive when it comes to that. It is certainly too much for a person to take everythnig into consideration when he talks. But this one is so obvious.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Tawnos said:
Here's my problem. Just about every single person on this board knew EXACTLY what Chelios was saying when they read that at first. It was only when they thought about it that they started to go on about people being offended. I say screw that. You knew what he meant... and that's all that should matter.
I can’t speak for every one else but I can speak for myself ---- I first heard Chelios’ comments on the radio and I thought the “get the gas†comment was out of line. The first thing I thought of was criminals on death row. Perhaps “get the gas†is used for “fired†in the vernacular in the mid-west, but I’ve never heard it used in that vain before.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Ooh ... Cawz is a detective with the thought police.

Maybe that's how your brain works, Cawz. I'm sorry if that's the case. You can probably get help for it.
Um, I prefer the term 'private dick for the thought police', thank you.

It seems that may be your profession as well, with quotes like...
Newsguyone said:
something completely harmless is taken the wrong way
Are you always that proficient with reading quotes and knowing exactly what was intended? Maybe you could help me gain some experience in the ranks of the thought police. I'm sick of being passed on by for promotions.

It was an insensitive remark. Maybe it was intended, maybe not, you dont know that. But its obvious its pretty close to being a racial slur. There wouldnt be 14 pages here if it wasnt.

If youre Chris Chelios, I apologize. You do know exactly how it was intended.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Newsguyone said:
I guess since I support chelios, you are calling me a blind idiot, right?

(Note to Sotnos ... this is what I mean about indirect insults ... Do you get it now?)

Look, if Chelios is still playing this season, it will be because a team thinks he can still help.

Quite honestly, given his past payroll expectations, I doubt he'll get any offers.

However, despite his age, the last time he played, Chris Chelios was still one of the premier defensive defensemen in the game.
And his penalty killing is second to none.

How Newsguy1 continues to be confused by the English language.

Example:

Poster #1: "Your blind love of squirrels in this forest won't help them find their nuts"

Poster #2: " You see mods, this is what I mean about indirect insults... he called me a blind squirrel"

As for Chelios... well, I think both his words to the media and his actions on the ice speak volumes about the guy. Great but dirty hockey player... stupid human being.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I can't believe people are turning "get the gas" into a euphemism for "be fired" despite there being no evidence of that even being a slang expression for that. Can ANYONE find "get the gas" used in that context anywhere? Have they honestly heard it used with their own ears by anyone other than Chris Chelios where they clearly meant "be fired" at all? I've never read or heard it and can't find an example using google, yahoo, and msn search engines. I would think they would have indexed it somewhere along the way.

It is amazing how some people so quickly come to the defense of someone with that kind of hate. Anti-semitism is apparently alive and well in the hockey world.

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
chelios as much about the business of hockey as i do about....can't think of anything i know so little about. :dunno:

GSC2k2*

Tekneek said:
I can't believe people are turning "get the gas" into a euphemism for "be fired" despite there being no evidence of that even being a slang expression for that. Can ANYONE find "get the gas" used in that context anywhere? Have they honestly heard it used with their own ears by anyone other than Chris Chelios where they clearly meant "be fired" at all? I've never read or heard it and can't find an example using google, yahoo, and msn search engines. I would think they would have indexed it somewhere along the way.

It is amazing how some people so quickly come to the defense of someone with that kind of hate. Anti-semitism is apparently alive and well in the hockey world.
Are you suggesting that I am, or anyone else who has confirmed that it IS a euphemism for getting fired (which it is), is an anti-semite???! Is that what you are suggesting?

Please advise.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
gscarpenter2002 said:
Are you suggesting that I am, or anyone else who has confirmed that it IS a euphemism for getting fired (which it is), is an anti-semite???! Is that what you are suggesting?

Please advise.
For heavens sake, please let this die, some people see wolves in every shadow. Anyone who will scream, with absolute certainty, "Anti-semite!" over words said off the cuff by anotorious big mouth, will brand anyone foolish enough to question their judgement.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
gscarpenter2002 said:

Please advise.

No, not necessarily. However, I'm not sure how people got the idea it meant "be fired" without any evidence of such. Rather than motivated by sharing the same feelings as Chelios does, it was more likely generated by a denial to believe that an individual in mainstream society would say such a thing in public. By being in denial, people were willing to spin "get the gas" into "be fired" despite the lack of any evidence that the phrases have any interchangeable use in the English language.

Chelios not being called out for it by the hockey media, or media in general, says a bit more about it than what may be said here.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Tekneek said:
No, not necessarily. However, I'm not sure how people got the idea it meant "be fired" without any evidence of such. Rather than motivated by sharing the same feelings as Chelios does, it was more likely generated by a denial to believe that an individual in mainstream society would say such a thing in public. By being in denial, people were willing to spin "get the gas" into "be fired" despite the lack of any evidence that the phrases have any interchangeable use in the English language.

Chelios not being called out for it by the hockey media, or media in general, says a bit more about it than what may be said here.
Someone else did the leg work for this one.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4154/is_20030419/ai_n12356825
Boston Herald story in 2003 on Bruins GM Mike O'Connell: "It's hard for anyone to get pumped up right now about a guy who's bound to get gassed in short order like many of his immediate predecessors."

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam021003/col_lankhof-sun.html
Toronto Sun column on Ron MacLean quitting the CBC and Hockey Night in Canada: "... it's nice to know that should anyone get gassed at a newspaper mere journalists are now worthy of huge outrage; there will be parades of protest, people outside with pickets and sports radio callers demanding ... oh, never mind. Been there, done that ... didn't happen. "

http://offthepost.net/viewtopic.php?t=4279
Internet discussion from 2003 on Pat Quinn in Toronto: "Quinn is safe for now after back-to-back victories over the Canucks, I would think. There would have to be a heck of a losing skid for him to get gassed now."

Might not be too closely tied to the English language but it sure seems to be alive and kicking as a phrase for getting fired in the world of hockey. "Get the gas" and "get gassed" IMO the difference is negligible to think there is some tangible difference in connotation or implication.

Sammy*

Tekneek said:

Ive heard it used all the time in that context.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I'm seeing "get gassed" referenced, but not "get the gas." Is Chelios a moron who just didn't say it right? Or was he misquoted?

I admit that it may be used by some then, based on the evidence presented. I still don't see "get the gas", but I will agree that he may have meant to say something else.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
Some journalists will do anything to stir up controversy. Perhaps they should have mentioned how Chelios' teammate the last two seasons and good friend Matt Schneider is jewish. :shakehead

GSC2k2*

Hoss said:
For heavens sake, please let this die, some people see wolves in every shadow.
Anyone who will scream, with absolute certainty, "Anti-semite!" over words said off the cuff by anotorious big mouth, will brand anyone foolish enough to question their judgement.
Are you saying that you are anti-wolf???!! How dare you?!?!?!

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Beauty said:
Yeah, that's why I said "journalists" and "they." They're making something out of nothing, as usual.

They usually make something out of nothing? What percentage of news articles would you say are doing that?

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
Tekneek said:
They usually make something out of nothing? What percentage of news articles would you say are doing that?

Well, what kind of periodicals are we talking about? I wasn't referring to hockey journalists. I'm referring to writers in gossip rags, "columnists" who chime in (often negatively) about issues they perceive to be controversial, and news sources that blow things out of proportion (i.e. the Roenick press conference where they only showed half of what he said just to get a rise out of the public). People need to realize there's not a hidden meaning behind every comment a celebrity or pro athlete makes. It's manipulation by the media, pure and simple, and it's pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->