Checkers III: The Age of Ulf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It just goes to show how good the AHL really is.

Gauthier, 20 years old: 1 point in 5 games,
Saarela, 20 years old: 3 points in 8 games
Roy, 20 years old: 4 points in 10 games

Brown, 25 years old: 5 points in 11 games
Schilkey, 23 years old: 5 points in 7 games
Tolchinsky, 22 years old: 6 points in 9 games
Foegele, 21 years old: 7 point in 9 games
PDG, 24 years old: 10 points in 11 games
Miller, 29 years old: 10 points in 11 games
Zykov, 22 years old: 12 points in 11 games
Wallmark, 22 years old: 13 points in 11 games

I think it was reported that Gauthier and Saarela are battling injuries? Saarela had 10 points in 9 games last year in the AHL so he has shown some ability to score there (limited sample size). I haven't seen them play in Charlotte, but bigger guys like Gauthier and Roy can't just overpower guys like they did in Junior hockey so there is bound to be an adjustment period. Still, you don't want to see a recent 1st rounder scratched.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Saarela is always hurt or off having surgery it seems.

You’re right, though. The ahl is a lot harder than people give it credit for. All highly drafted prospects are expected to dominate and most just don’t.

Reactions: Breakdowns

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Not so worried about gauthier and roy yet. Power forward types take longer to come along and they're still quite young in a young season. Saarela worries me a lot though. So much potential but damn those injuries.

The checkers success so far does make me wonder about vellucci's potential as a coach.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
35AC538B-94F5-4DF7-9D06-8F7E8DD574E7.jpeg
Cam Newton is sponsoring a charity event with the Checkers and helped design a jersey for that night.

Reactions: Breakdowns

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Zykov scores again tonight putting him tied for 2nd in the AHL with 8 goals.

There's a guy named Danick Martel, leading the AHL in goals with 14 goals in 14 games. Who is this guy leading the AHL goals by almost more than double than anyone else?

He's one hell of a ball hockey player. Was on Canada's silver medal winning team at this years world championships. Quite an interesting tournament to look into if you ever get a chance. Some very strange countries that you would not expect take part like India, Haiti, Bermuda etc.

Reactions: Unsustainable

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Zykov scores again tonight putting him tied for 2nd in the AHL with 8 goals.

There's a guy named Danick Martel, leading the AHL in goals with 14 goals in 14 games. Who is this guy leading the AHL goals by almost more than double than anyone else?

And Wallmark adds two more unassisted goals. Charlotte up 5-1 midway through the 2nd period.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
It's 4-2 after 2 periods here in Utica. Comets kinda a weak lineup tonight. Checkers look like a fast skating, good puck moving team!!!!! Both Gauthier and Roy have great shots!!

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This might be the best AHL Checkers team ever. Hell for all I know it's the best AHL squad the Hurricanes have been affiliated with.

The 2010-11 Checkers didn't get off to this good a start.
IMHO the only one that comes even close was the team that was split between the Canes and Calgary.

E Staal
Ward
Kobasew
Lombardi
Giordano
LaRose
Commodore

This team may have a similar talent level minus the whole future NHL Star that's in the AHL only because of a lockout thing. That would be like Charlotte having Aho for the entire season.

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
How did it go from 5-1 to 4-2?

It never was 5-1, 4-2 game with an empty netter. Game was not that close and the outcome never in doubt. Pretty impressive group the canes have in the AHL. Foegel, Roy, miller ,wallmark all with strong games. Lots of good passing and quick cross ice passes to find open guys..... Comets came on in the 3rd but couldn't come up with any goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unsustainable
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad