Prospect Info: Chase Stillman (#29 overall)

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Please stop saying bottom 6 and just say 4th line. That's how he's going to make it, unless he figures out offense between now and if he ever makes it to the NHL.
Easy way to cover your tracks "He will never make it unless he becomes good." Does that give analytic folks a free pass every time they are wrong?

Reactions: mdj12784

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Stillman already has very good skating, hitting and produces shots at a pretty good rate. We don't know what he develops over the next two years. It could turn out he becomes quite good in front with deflections and finds a niche on the PP. We don't know, stop talking in absolutes unless it is skill based.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Easy way to cover your tracks "He will never make it unless he becomes good." Does that give analytic folks a free pass every time they are wrong?

I mean, it does when a player isn't that good in his D+2 in junior hockey, which is a rarity to be speaking this much about a prospect who has those kind of numbers, because usually a prospect with those kind of numbers is a 4th round pick and you shrug and say okay maybe he'll improve at the next level. Players with those numbers typically do not make the NHL, it's that simple. When they do, it is often strictly as a 4th line player.

Stillman already has very good skating, hitting and produces shots at a pretty good rate. We don't know what he develops over the next two years. It could turn out he becomes quite good in front with deflections and finds a niche on the PP. We don't know, stop talking in absolutes unless it is skill based.

What you are missing is that 'at a pretty good rate' is in one of 9 leagues which usually feed the NHL. So okay, he was 90th in the OHL in shots, eyeballing it he was probably something like 60th in shot rate? Looks okay except for the QMJHL, WHL, AHL, SHL, SHL-1, SM-Liiga, Mestis, MHL, VHL, NCAA, USHL.

How many players become quite good with deflections and find a niche on the PP as a 4th line player? This is comparatively rare and tends to be pretty bad anyway because these players seldom have the ability to contribute to the power play in other ways and are exposed when they aren't hanging out in front of the net.

We know how players who've had these sorts of scoring rates have done in the past and the history is simply not good. He might be one of the few that totally figures it out at the pro level.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
No is really talking in absolutes.

People are looking at the balance of probabilities. A player with Chase Stillman's development curve is unlikely to be an NHLer, let alone an impact player. But it's not impossible.

He had an impactful game at the Memorial Cup last night though, so that's something.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Just one instance and play...but tough to argue that he didn't save the Petes season with that hit, fight and the momentum gained by it. Yes, for a first rounder he may not have lived up to the billing over the past two seasons but some AHL seasoning would be great then having him play in the bottom 6 would be great in my opinion.

mdj12784

Sep 19, 2006
Sayreville, N.J
“Only a Sith deals in absolutes…”

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
1 point in 5 games. Petes lost 4 to 1. Disappointing Memorial Cup for him. He might not even be able to hack it in the AHL next season at this point.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
1 point in 5 games. Petes lost 4 to 1. Disappointing Memorial Cup for him. He might not even be able to hack it in the AHL next season at this point.
His team lost their first 2 games at the Memorial Cup. Got blown out 10 to 2 vs the host team Kamloops Blazers. Peterborough gave up like 5 powerplay goals. Chase was a +/- 0 which I guess is an okay sign. He has no points in 2 games so far. It honestly feels like the Petes are one of the weaker teams to win the OHL Championship of the last decade or so. Not suprised they are 0 and 2 so far but losing 10 to 2 is a but of a bummer. Maybe they finish as the 4th seed but get their game together and go on a miracle run to win the knockout games.

Team scores 5 goals and he had 0 points. 1 point in 4 games for a 20 year old. This pick is looking to be very bad. I don't think there is one aspect of his game that their really is any reason to get excited about. The 2021 draft aside from Luke and Vilen is looking very meh for the Devils. Hurtig , Malek and Baradkov were project picks and still are young. Salminen would of been better off playing in the USHL instead of staying in Finland for the extra season before he was going to join Denver which we know turned out to be UCONN.

Well let's hope Stillman can have a big game tonight and help get the Petes to the Memorial Cup Finals. Still want to see him succeed but he needs to step his game up.

Tell us how you really feel

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
He is below PPG in his D+2 season, that is very poor production. Him becoming a 3rd liner is highly unlikely IMO.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He is below PPG in his D+2 season, that is very poor production. Him becoming a 3rd liner is highly unlikely IMO.
Yeah, again...his scoring output may be disappointing but it's misleading as well because of the Petes system and roster structure. If you look at the forwards the Petes traded for...all of them played for weaker teams but lost scoring after getting traded to the Petes. You'd expect the opposite to be the case with young, talended prospects getting older and joining a better team. Stillman is actually pretty much the lone forward not to lose scoring pace after the trade. He's excellent against the puck so he's very important for their defensive system but he's also a sniper so this system could hurt Stillman's scoring output even more than it does his teammates.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Oh you know just thrilled that we made a safe pick with this kid...
Still looks like a safe pick to me.

On TSN the announcers talked about the fact that it was Stillman who called for a closed doors players only meeting after the Kamloops blowout loss. Stillman also admitted in an interview that he wants to score more but said not to worry about him if he doesn't since he'll find other ways to help his team. He certainly does. Having said that, Stillman's got a good shot, even for NHL level. On a team with more offensive zone time, more possession and a better PP (the Petes PP is a joke) Stillman should automatically score more goals.

I can see why people are disappointed with his scoring output. I am myself and with his shot he should have scored more. Still, some of it is explainable and he was also unlucky with hitting iron etc.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Please stop saying bottom 6 and just say 4th line. That's how he's going to make it, unless he figures out offense between now and if he ever makes it to the NHL.

Yes, for a first rounder he may not have lived up to the billing over the past two seasons but some AHL seasoning would be great then having him play in the bottom 6 would be great in my opinion.
He asked politely, and people just don't effin listen. That's why this world is in the crapper.

But seriously, let's see if he can find some offensive touch in Utica next season. Or maybe more likely in the seasons following, as that has been the curve of some of our late bloomers down there.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He asked politely, and people just don't effin listen. That's why this world is in the crapper.

But seriously, let's see if he can find some offensive touch in Utica next season. Or maybe more likely in the seasons following, as that has been the curve of some of our late bloomers down there.
Don't know how this got there. fingers too busy I guess.
The intended post follows!

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
"that has been the curve of some of our late bloomers down there"

Talk to management. No centers and the expected kind of numbers for the prospects go down. It's black and white, simple logic, the way hockey works. Over and over and over ad nauseum.

Dineen is no offensive mind either.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
"that has been the curve of some of our late bloomers down there"

Talk to management. No centers and the expected kind of numbers for the prospects go down. It's black and white, simple logic, the way hockey works. Over and over and over ad nauseum.

Dineen is no offensive mind either.

You didn't understand his point and his point had nothing at all to do with the current lack of centers in Utica. It was speaking of a perceived tendency for players to take until their 2nd or 3rd pro year here to develop into an NHL prospect - I think the ur-case of this would be Sharangovich but I suspect Clarke is in this boat as well.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You didn't understand his point and his point had nothing at all to do with the current lack of centers in Utica. It was speaking of a perceived tendency for players to take until their 2nd or 3rd pro year here to develop into an NHL prospect - I think the ur-case of this would be Sharangovich but I suspect Clarke is in this boat as well.
Zetterlund as well.

Reactions: Triumph

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad