Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy - part III.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Very impressive game by CM

I was more impressed by his defense than offense

I want him to shoot more on the PP though

I remember Ray Bourque's first year and people were say much the same thing. As he gets more comfortable he's going to feel free to shoot it more. He probably doesn't want to look selfish. He really does remind me (although I'm not that an expert on) Drew Doughty. He's already great right now, I can only imagine what he's going to be in a few years. I'm so jacked to watch him play. For the first time in a few years I'm feeling really excited all day before a game. Nashville was a good test to start off the season.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Thought he had a decent enough game. His two penalties were pretty bad though.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
That was my critique on him a year ago, from my (then limited) viewings of him I noticed a tendency to get caught flat-footed a reach out --putting himself in a bad position to get called. I suspect that this will be an ongoing issue for some time but you take the bad with the good and there is so much good there.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
One thing that I noticed watching him last year and now, is his recovery after pinching or getting caught too deep. He doesn't panick and has the wheels to get back. Very poised in that regard. He doesn't panick at all.

Reactions: rocketdan9

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I remember Ray Bourque's first year and people were say much the same thing. As he gets more comfortable he's going to feel free to shoot it more. He probably doesn't want to look selfish. He really does remind me (although I'm not that an expert on) Drew Doughty. He's already great right now, I can only imagine what he's going to be in a few years. I'm so jacked to watch him play. For the first time in a few years I'm feeling really excited all day before a game. Nashville was a good test to start off the season.

I say more Shattenkirk or Glen Wesley back from the day

Doughty is a better skater, flashier

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I say more Shattenkirk or Glen Wesley back from the day

Doughty is a better skater, flashier

He's nothing like Shattenkirk.

Style-wise the Doughty comparison is good, but you're correct I think when you speak of Doughty higher skill level, in particular like you said his skating is better.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Yeah the one holding call cause the guy completely burnt him wide was rough. But he’ll learn. Certainly wasn’t a liability out there IMO. Just a few hiccups which should be expected

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That was my critique on him a year ago, from my (then limited) viewings of him I noticed a tendency to get caught flat-footed a reach out --putting himself in a bad position to get called. I suspect that this will be an ongoing issue for some time but you take the bad with the good and there is so much good there.

The reason I’m not overly concerned about this is because McAvoy is such a strong skater. The “not moving his feet” stuff is correctable with coaching. The sooner he cuts down on it, the better though.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
McAVoy was a little squirrely on the puck with more than a few whiffs, but it was his first game, where it wasn’t a world wind of playoffs. Another words sometimes your brain starts to overthink when you have time. Bjork had those jitters early in the game where he was constantly dishing off to a vet while in a good shooting area. No biggie just some things learned.

What’s great about these players they are consistently on the puck though.They don’t shrink and want to make plays. Another words puck presence and all three guys showed that last night

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Great post/observations Colt, I`m in the same boat as you are, with a kid who thinks offensively, you almost know/expect that at times were going to see points in a game where this happens as he`s thinking about pushing the pace the other way but if a puck is picked off or what have you, leaves him in a touch of tough situation. Took a few penalties (not great) but does what he does offensively....

So refreshing seeing another blueliner for this team who can skate his way out of trouble and there`s times I caught myself shaking my head at the poise in his own end. One play that likely didn`t open a ton of eyes here was one just to left of Tuukka, two Preds coming at him full speed, CM just made a short, simple pass off the boards to his partner, puck`s going the other way in seconds. There are going to be plays that`ll make us cringe at times, there are going to be moments like his goal where he flew to become part of the attack that make us jump outta our seats

Just before commercial with the B`s up 3-1 Jack signed off to commercial saying the B`s goals have come from a 19,20 and 21 year old......haven`t heard that in a long time with this organization

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think Laviolette made a huge mistake, despite the two late goals of pulling Rinne out too soon, I`m not sure why coaches these days are doing this more and more often, I understand pulling the goalie, don`t understand why it`s being done with over 3 minutes left in a game.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
This may sound like heresy but the guy McAvoy most reminds me of is a teenage Bourque. Bourque was something like 5'11" and 220lbs. A really wide, low center of gravity body and was a great skater.
An offensive D who is sound defensively as a teenager and is a great passer. Obviously, Bourque had a far better shot but if you read the reports about him after his first year, they talk about the awesome offense but the need to tighten up and be better in his own end--sound but not the Norris guy he became for most of his career.
Of course Bourque got 65 pts and was +52 as a rookie but in the modern NHL if McAvoy gets half of those numbers I'll be happy.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Style-wise the Doughty comparison is good, but you're correct I think when you speak of Doughty higher skill level, in particular like you said his skating is better.

McAvoy and Shatternkirk have many similirities

Their size (wider frame), strength, underrated two way play. Good offensive instincts. Put up points and smart defensive plays. Can QB on the pp

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Their size (wider frame), strength, underrated two way play. Good offensive instincts. Put up points and smart defensive plays. Can QB on the pp
Not so sure Shattenkirk`s play in his own zone is underrated. I think he is viewed as a guy with excellent foot speed and mobility which often allows him to retrieve then distribute pucks quickly but even at this early stage of CM`s career, I`d rather have him back there in the heat of battle on a shift where muscle and willingness to get dirty along the boards are called for.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

You're right, I should not of said they are nothing alike, because they do have some similar characteristics to their games. There are some differences (McAvoy's physical play and compete level), but similarities as well.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You're right, I should not of said they are nothing alike, because they do have some similar characteristics to their games. There are some differences (McAvoy's physical play and compete level), but similarities as well.

I think CM`s willingness already at this young age to engage in physical play separates himself from Shatty in that regard.

I think we need look no further than how both the Blues and Caps literally insulated Shattenkirk and who he went up against in the playoffs over the last 2-3 seasons. He was far from the "go to" guy when the game was/is on the line, not 100% CM is ready for that consistently right now but I`ll wager, sooner than later, his number is called when the B`s need a goal, and when the B`s are looking to defend from one being popped on them

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017

I think he reminds me of PK Subban. He is built like him and he moves like him. Physically that is the guy i see. Difference is Charlie will get 35% better then he is now.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
The boys will chirp him about his cellie, couldn`t really get it going as he was losing balance a bit, either he or Bjork were gonna bury that, Bjork gets his first Monday afternoon.
I love that McAvoy broke in and took that pass away. First, it showed desire to get in there and let it fly. Second, he was in a better position being a right-hand shot to get one off quickly and on target.

A smart and aggressive play.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He had a couple hiccups and fumbles but I expect it was nerves... 1G-1A and a win should boost the confidence quite a bit.

We saw in the playoffs and during last night's game how skilled he is at carrying the puck into the zone, the offensive plays, how much of a threat he is on the PP... Only up from here. We're gonna be hearing "McAvoy to Pastrnak one-timer, score!" a lot for the next few years.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Physically, McAvoy reminds me of Jon Roloff. I still can't get over the size of his face. He looks like someone who once weighed 650 lbs.

The Bourque comparison is a good one. If he's half the player Ray was we'll have a good one. Looks like this kid has a great future.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
3 minor penalties in game one - and a couple of them after getting burned (I could think of a few players who would be absolutely roasted for making the same play).

As exciting as his offensive game is, he definitely needs to clean up the defensive end of his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad