Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy - part III.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I'm just not all that excited about him like I thought I'd be. It's very, very early but I'm a little underwhelmed so far.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Anyone concerned about McAvoys play thus far. He was a terrible mess last night. I know the whole team was bad in Vegas, but I don't think he's looked too good yet.

Hes not ray bourque... number of other rookie teen bruin dmen that have impresses me more in past 40 years?

Ill get back to you if i think of any... in the meantime are you sure your expectations are realistic?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I'm just not all that excited about him like I thought I'd be. It's very, very early but I'm a little underwhelmed so far.

He's not constantly impressing every shift like he was in the Ottawa series, but as someone else said, he's 1-3-4 in 5 games (the first 5 games of his career) and he's NINETEEN years old. He's doing very well and he's way ahead of his time. He's only going to get better as the season goes on, but obviously he's still a teenager so he's going to have his fair share of mistakes and slumps.

Compare McAvoy now to Hamilton at 19... Crazy difference.

tonino2424

Sep 28, 2005
Would this be the same 19 year old Charlie McAvoy we are talking about. The one with 11 career games under his belt? You know about 3 weeks worth of experience?
Never been in the minors?
Teenager I say? Nah, ....gotta be somebody else right?

This ****ing place......................

LOL Wally... so funny.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Would this be the same 19 year old Charlie McAvoy we are talking about. The one with 11 career games under his belt? You know about 3 weeks worth of experience?
Never been in the minors?
Teenager I say? Nah, ....gotta be somebody else right?

This ****ing place......................

You excuse making machine, the kid is 19, not 18, he`s a first round pick playing, from what I have read for decades, the easiest of positions which we constantly see youngsters stepping in with ease, taking on 20+ minutes all the time. Take off those rose colored glasses will ya:sarcasm:

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Looks good to me. Seen a few mistakes. He will learn. I see a high defensive cieling for this guy. First year in the nhl and only a hand full of games in. Patients folks

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
You excuse making machine, the kid is 19, not 18, he`s a first round pick playing, from what I have read for decades, the easiest of positions which we constantly see youngsters stepping in with ease, taking on 20+ minutes all the time. Take off those rose colored glasses will ya:sarcasm:
Wait what? I actually see very few young dmen come in and be effective in any way. Especially defensively. Ive seen some with some offencive punch. But that shut down d that actually wins u cups is something that takes some time to develope. Almost every great shut down d man didnt blossom until well into their 20's. Even seth jones took a year to really turn elite. And he was touted as the best pick of the draft no? Normally what u say is pretty accurate but to say young dmen step into the nhl and take on the "easy"'tasks is common is absurd.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Wait what? I actually see very few young dmen come in and be effective in any way. Especially defensively. Ive seen some with some offencive punch. But that shut down d that actually wins u cups is something that takes some time to develope. Almost every great shut down d man didnt blossom until well into their 30's. Even seth jones took a year to really turn elite. And he was touted as the best pick of the draft no? Normally what u say is pretty accurate but to say young dmen step into the nhl and take on the "easy"'tasks is common is absurd.

ODDAT was being sarcastic.

;)

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Wait what? I actually see very few young dmen come in and be effective in any way. Especially defensively. Ive seen some with some offencive punch. But that shut down d that actually wins u cups is something that takes some time to develope. Almost every great shut down d man didnt blossom until well into their 30's. Even seth jones took a year to really turn elite. And he was touted as the best pick of the draft no? Normally what u say is pretty accurate but to say young dmen step into the nhl and take on the "easy"'tasks is common is absurd.

Jay-zooos!:laugh::rolleyes:

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Can't believe he's only at 65 point pace, was expecting more from a teenage rookie defenceman.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Wait what? I actually see very few young dmen come in and be effective in any way. Especially defensively. Ive seen some with some offencive punch. But that shut down d that actually wins u cups is something that takes some time to develope. Almost every great shut down d man didnt blossom until well into their 20's. Even seth jones took a year to really turn elite. And he was touted as the best pick of the draft no? Normally what u say is pretty accurate but to say young dmen step into the nhl and take on the "easy"'tasks is common is absurd.

me thinks you overlooked the sarcasm emojji on my post

been there done that myself. I am super optimistic about the kid

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I thought McAvoy has looked great so far... Maybe I'm not watching the same games? He's made mistakes, but from what I seen, he has made less than the other Dmen out there (Chara included). He's made less mistakes this season than Krug made in the entire first game against the Avs.

Reactions: PB37

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I thought McAvoy has looked great so far... Maybe I'm not watching the same games? He's made mistakes, but from what I seen, he has made less than the other Dmen out there (Chara included). He's made less mistakes this season than Krug made in the entire first game against the Avs.

McAvoy has been good and at times, very good. The kid has a very bright future and we are lucky to have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->