Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy - part III.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Anybody remember our ol good friend Glen Wesley? McAvoy reminds me of him a little as well

I still dont understand how we lost Wesley. Dummy move

I always thought of Wesley as a poor man Bourque. It was amazing to have both during that period. Just a mature all around D. Not flashy but dependable. Not afraid of dirty work. 35-45 points a season consistently

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Anybody remember our ol good friend Glen Wesley? McAvoy reminds me of him a little as well

I still dont understand how we lost Wesley. Dummy move

I always thought of Wesley as a poor man Bourque. It was amazing to have both during that period. Just a mature all around D. Not flashy but dependable. Not afraid of dirty work. 35-45 points a season consistently
He missed the net.

Wesley did have a big face as a young guy. McAvoy, on the other hand, looks like a huge balloon crammed into a helmet.

Agree on the poor mans Bourque. Wes was a very good player albeit not nearly in Rays category.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
3 minor penalties in game one - and a couple of them after getting burned (I could think of a few players who would be absolutely roasted for making the same play).

As exciting as his offensive game is, he definitely needs to clean up the defensive end of his game.
He's a kid. Also, the third penalty should never, ever be called despite the new "rules"

Reactions: Strafer

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
He's a kid. Also, the third penalty should never, ever be called despite the new "rules"
The ‘hug’ ? I laughed ao hard at that, stick in one hand reached around and his free hand touched the guys hip and they whistled it a hug yet Watson totally trucked Tuukka and nothing. Midseason form

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The ‘hug’ ? I laughed ao hard at that, stick in one hand reached around and his free hand touched the guys hip and they whistled it a hug yet Watson totally trucked Tuukka and nothing. Midseason form
I was referring to the tap to the pants, but yeah, that one was bad too. (Or maybe it was the 2nd penalty... not sure)

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Charlie fumbled the puck a lot last night. What I like though was that he was cool as a cucumber every time. Regrouped and didn't panic. Handled every situation over and over like a vet. Impressive.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
3 minor penalties in game one - and a couple of them after getting burned (I could think of a few players who would be absolutely roasted for making the same play).

As exciting as his offensive game is, he definitely needs to clean up the defensive end of his game.

sure he does, but I`m going to reign in my expectations of the kid when it comes to how quickly he blossoms defensively. He`s a guy who thinks transition and pushing the puck, reading the play, anticipating how an opponent will move or which direction they`ll be moving to is all part of the process.

His first regular season game exemplified a rookie game where we saw the risk, we saw the reward. He needs to tighten up some things for sure, the kid didn`t play a perfect game but sure was refreshing to see another D-man in this lineup who can push that puck up ice, and jump into the play in only a few strides

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Let's accept that he is 19 and will have way more highs than lows this season. Will always remember when old friend Ray always said a d-man does not even hit his prime until roughly age 27.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Let's accept that he is 19 and will have way more highs than lows this season. Will always remember when old friend Ray always said a d-man does not even hit his prime until roughly age 27.

nope, won`t accept anything, the kid has been in this league for 7 games now, if he can`t figure it out by now, I`m moving him out:sarcasm:

Reactions: 00BW

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
nope, won`t accept anything, the kid has been in this league for 7 games now, if he can`t figure it out by now, I`m moving him out:sarcasm:
Yes - for nothing less than a 1st rounder (whose pick turns out to be a kid who was rated #97 by the CSB), a guy who epitomises what it means to be a Bruin and will give you 6-8 goals per season, and a #8 depth chart d-man whom you will expect top-4 minutes from.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He missed the net.

Wesley did have a big face as a young guy. McAvoy, on the other hand, looks like a huge balloon crammed into a helmet.

Agree on the poor mans Bourque. Wes was a very good player albeit not nearly in Rays category.
I laughed pretty hard.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

Yep .. If a defenseman is playing in the NHL at 19 years old regardless of what caliber they're playing at, it bodes extremely well for their future. For them to not look completely out of place is so impressive.

You have to keep expectations in check but I think he'll be a ROTY favorite. Always the chance they can regress like Myers, but of all the good young defensemen I've seen in the league and on the bruins, his poise on the ice is unmatched. Hamilton showed flashes of brilliance in Boston, and by his third year he was playing well on our first pairing. But the biggest thing was he crumbled under pressure and couldn't react to his mistakes, even 3 years in. You can tell he lacked confidence, which is natural. Charlie reacts so fast he makes it look like he fumbled the puck on purpose.

Absolutely hit it out of the park with him and Carlo.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Yep .. If a defenseman is playing in the NHL at 19 years old regardless of what caliber they're playing at, it bodes extremely well for their future. For them to not look completely out of place is so impressive.

You have to keep expectations in check but I think he'll be a ROTY favorite. Always the chance they can regress like Myers, but of all the good young defensemen I've seen in the league and on the bruins, his poise on the ice is unmatched. Hamilton showed flashes of brilliance in Boston, and by his third year he was playing well on our first pairing. But the biggest thing was he crumbled under pressure and couldn't react to his mistakes, even 3 years in. You can tell he lacked confidence, which is natural. Charlie reacts so fast he makes it look like he fumbled the puck on purpose.

Absolutely hit it out of the park with him and Carlo.

I hope they man our blueline for the next 10+ years.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
My inlaws are from Queens and my mother in law moved to Long Beach a year before Sandy. She lost her house in Sandy and McAvoy plumbing did all the work on the rebuild

No, but you’re selling Sergachev short. They are both going to be very steady and valueable assets with high end top 1/2 potential.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Anyone concerned about McAvoys play thus far. He was a terrible mess last night. I know the whole team was bad in Vegas, but I don't think he's looked too good yet.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Anyone concerned about McAvoys play thus far. He was a terrible mess last night. I know the whole team was bad in Vegas, but I don't think he's looked too good yet.

He's going to make a lot of mistakes this year. Just have to live with it. I think it would have been nice if he was in the AHL for a year, but thanks to the CBA, the new way of doing business is playing one game in April or going the path of Vesey. Anyone seen JFK? Same thing. Make sure that you can spot the collective bargaining nonsense versus actual making the team because of skill level.

I have seen a lot of hype. A lot of "the next Ray Bourque." Folks are thinking Norris trophies and a bid at the club scoring record? Really? I like his game. I think he's going to be a solid defenseman. But he isn't Ray Bourque.

My personal projection is he will be better than Krug, both offensively and defensively. That's still a great career.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
He's been good ,personally I was more impressed with him in the playoffs.Maybee I'm just expecting more now,but I have know doubt he's gonna be a really good player for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad