Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I mean Koivu only scored 45 points this year. He's averages around 50 points a season. Why does it matter Coyle is hitting 56 or so points? He was injured this year.
If Coyle could deliver selke level defense as a shutdown center i don't think anyone would have problems with him.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Russo is reporting that Coyle was definitely injured: and they are waiting to hear back how bad they are.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Coyle just seems like a sell low candidate after last year. He's frustrating to watch over the span of a season, for sure, but he's on value contract. His cap hit is only $3.2m/yr. Slightly high for a 3C, but a bargain for a top-6 wing. Even as a total passenger he'll get at least 40p/yr, and other than this season has had no injury concerns.

I'd like to see JEE, Greenway, and Kunin push Coyle out of the lineup, or at least challenge for his spot as 3C and middle-6 wing before trading him. If he has any sort of rebound then I don't see his value dropping from this offseason to a rental+1 at the TDL.

I've been on the trade Coyle train all season, but currently I'd look to trade a few other (sell high) players first.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Coyle just seems like a sell low candidate after last year. He's frustrating to watch over the span of a season, for sure, but he's on value contract. His cap hit is only $3.2m/yr. Slightly high for a 3C, but a bargain for a top-6 wing. Even as a total passenger he'll get at least 40p/yr, and other than this season has had no injury concerns.

I'd like to see JEE, Greenway, and Kunin push Coyle out of the lineup, or at least challenge for his spot as 3C and middle-6 wing before trading him. If he has any sort of rebound then I don't see his value dropping from this offseason to a rental+1 at the TDL.

I've been on the trade Coyle train all season, but currently I'd look to trade a few other (sell high) players first.
I would not trade Coyle alone because of those reasons, that said, if he's needed in a package - say Spurgeon plus Coyle for Nylander and a 2nd, I pull that trigger.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I would not trade Coyle alone because of those reasons, that said, if he's needed in a package - say Spurgeon plus Coyle for Nylander and a 2nd, I pull that trigger.

I'm not saying he's untouchable, but the deal has to be there to make the trade worth it; and I just don't see many deals out there.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm not saying he's untouchable, but the deal has to be there to make the trade worth it; and I just don't see many deals out there.
I agree, a deal where he's the primary asset the other way, likely not worth it. The only way we would see his real value met is a package deal. Those can be hard to find. I was just pointing it out as a possibility.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I agree, a deal where he's the primary asset the other way, likely not worth it. The only way we would see his real value met is a package deal. Those can be hard to find. I was just pointing it out as a possibility.

He'd have to be paired with someone with some term (at least another RFA contract), or a draft pick. A Nylander/Drais type of player isn't going to go for a couple of guys with 2 seasons before they are UFA's.

There are some 1 for 1's (more or less) that could be interesting, but mostly they are lateral type of moves.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ek, Greeway, and Kunin have a long way to go before they prove they can take Coyle's place at the NHL level. Ek looks legit, and Greenway had a decent game or two, but so did Brett Bulmer.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He had quite a few injuries in a row: blew out a knee, concussion. At best he could have been a Foligno type presence.
Injuries definitely played a leading role with him, but I remember riding pretty high on that 9 game (or whatever it was) cup of coffee he had :laugh: Might be more of a personal cautionary tale.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, I was on the Bulmer train for a very short ride...but to be fair, our prospect pool was pretty skimpy back then.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Probably being a bit harsh and certainly too small a sample size but I wasn't all that impressed with Greenway's game. I see some two way grit but not a lot of skill.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Regarding Coyle, there is a big difference between being hurt and being injured. By the end of the year almost every player in the league is hurt. But if he was injured to the point of being ineffective, the Wild did him no favors by clearing him to play.

Reactions: 63firebird

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
You do have a point. 3-22-16- all contributed zero.
Although I’m not sure who the speedsters are other than Zucker who was matched by the entire Jets team.
I guess I’m watching a different game.
Look at Haula and Tuch now! Koivu getting line 1 and PP is like a poison. Kills the whole team mentality. Constant line shuffling only made things worse. Put 16-12-64 together. Leave it.

Koivu was a step behind the Jets the whole series.
I suppose it’s great to to be a defensive forward but why the hell is he on the power play then?

If Koivu moved down to the third line and took a defensive role the way that Guy Carbonneau used to play that would be great. A few less minutes and definitely not on the power play.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Sure. Wild would've been much better off if they would've let Ennis play in his place

This year no, in 2-3 years yes. Are we learning nothing with Parise. Guy beat himself up to win a battle and continues that today. He cannot keep it up for a stretches anymore let alone a season. We are doing the same thing with Coyle. Guy is a warior, a true grit, winning the attrition war. I want him close to 100%. Toughness is overrated at a point. Injuries, nagging ones just dont go away in an off season.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
This year no, in 2-3 years yes. Are we learning nothing with Parise. Guy beat himself up to win a battle and continues that today. He cannot keep it up for a stretches anymore let alone a season. We are doing the same thing with Coyle. Guy is a warior, a true grit, winning the attrition war. I want him close to 100%. Toughness is overrated at a point. Injuries, nagging ones just dont go away in an off season.

Right, well said.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Comparing Coyle to Parise is like a kitten to an angry badger. Parise used to always come out of the corner with the puck. I agree his style doesn’t last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad