Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Coyle is a fine player, but Fletcher and almost every pundent said he was going to be this amazing power forward. And he showed plenty of flashes. And power forwards are often late bloomers.

But he might just be a middle 6, RHS forward. And that is ok. Contenders need depth.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
You're the guy who called Zucker a 4th liner , so look in the mirror before you post.

I'd like to see where I said that, for real. I assigned him a middle-six rating back in 2010 for Hockey's Future and he has surpassed that, to his credit, for this team. I do think Zucker is a poor value contract waiting to happen and I base that opinion on watching him play, plus looking at the statistical evidence.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The problem is: Ennis's nothing still costs $4.6 million.

My issue with Coyle is he's one of the usual suspects who doesn't perform. For 70% of the season he is invisible. His reputation of being a good player and someone who could break out is built on a handful of games per season. That's just not good enough for me to justify keeping him on this roster.
Coyle getting consistant time with Nino and Staal last year put up 60 points. This year he spent most of the season with guys like Cullen, Eriksson Ek, Foligno, Winnik, and Ennis on the 3rd line, had to deal with a broken leg, and still paced for 46 points over 82 games.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I'd like to see where I said that, for real. I assigned him a middle-six rating back in 2010 for Hockey's Future and he has surpassed that, to his credit, for this team. I do think Zucker is a poor value contract waiting to happen and I base that opinion on watching him play, plus looking at the statistical evidence.
I have to agree with this and I'm hesitant to pay Zucker big money. He's got speed, which is what we need, but he's not the type of player that wants the puck on his stick and will take over a game. His game revolves around going to where the puck will be/cleaning up loose change and getting open to shoot. If he's off his game then it's like he's not getting the puck at all. He's got a good shot but, it's not world class. His shooting percentage this year was also a career high at 14.9%.

I see Zucker as a very good complimentary player but not a core piece. I've always thought that if he had an elite center (similar to Staal this year) Zucker would be more dangerous. I believe that is what we saw this year. He's not the driver of a line.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I have to agree with this and I'm hesitant to pay Zucker big money. He's got speed, which is what we need, but he's not the type of player that wants the puck on his stick and will take over a game. His game revolves around going to where the puck will be/cleaning up loose change and getting open to shoot. If he's off his game then it's like he's not getting the puck at all. He's got a good shot but, it's not world class. His shooting percentage this year was also a career high at 14.9%.

I see Zucker as a very good complimentary player but not a core piece. I've always thought that if he had an elite center (similar to Staal this year) Zucker would be more dangerous. I believe that is what we saw this year. He's not the driver of a line.
So trade with his value at an all time high?

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
So trade with his value at an all time high?
I'd like to retool since I'm tired of the same result every year so, yes. I would be in favor. It's a shame he doesn't have another year left on his contract but, we could still get a good return for his rights.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Not sure what you do with Zucker but big bodies with a scoring touch is better than small fast perimeter players that are opportunistic. Zucker is okay at getting a stretch pass and trying to cut in but as the playoffs start the D just push him to the ice as he has no weight. To win in playoffs you need speed and some size. I would put a cap at Granlund to dish. That’s enough small guys. Granny can win corner battles where Zucker is only effective in open ice which disappears in the playoffs.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not sure what you do with Zucker but big bodies with a scoring touch is better than small fast perimeter players that are opportunistic. Zucker is okay at getting a stretch pass and trying to cut in but as the playoffs start the D just push him to the ice as he has no weight. To win in playoffs you need speed and some size. I would put a cap at Granlund to dish. That’s enough small guys. Granny can win corner battles where Zucker is only effective in open ice which disappears in the playoffs.

Top 9 forwards, under 6 feet: Granlund, Parise, Zucker
Top 9 forwards, 6'2" and over: Staal, Coyle, Nino, Koivu, Greenway, Eriksson Ek

Top 9 forwards that can be considered "speedy": Zucker
Top 9 forwards to which you be hesitant to list "speed" as a top 3 trait: everyone else

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
not sure why were talking zucker in a coyle thread but atleast 20 other teams would want zucker on their roster so noway do we get him on a less than 5 mill contract. if i was zuckers agent i'd say trade me dont insult me! coyle only 11G vs rookie tuch 15G no big contract heading his way.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Well there's your problem:

Nino: 25G-32A-57P in his contract year
Granlund: 23G-43A-69P in his contract year
Zucker: 33G-31A-64P in his contract year

We just signed Coyle for too long. Come 2019-20 he'll put up 60-65 points easy!

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Well there's your problem:

Nino: 25G-32A-57P in his contract year
Granlund: 23G-43A-69P in his contract year
Zucker: 33G-31A-64P in his contract year

We just signed Coyle for too long. Come 2019-20 he'll put up 60-65 points easy!
We'll extend the entire roster so that everyone's contract ends on the same year. Then, after we win the Cup, we let the whole team walk. :sarcasm:

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Dude broke his $%^&^& leg and never caught up.

I expect next year will be better. I trust his integrity and work-ethic.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Dude broke his $%^&^& leg and never caught up.

I expect next year will be better. I trust his integrity and work-ethic.
I see a guy who is playing today the same as he played last year February and March. He played all season like this, and finished the last few months of last season like this.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Coyle_

I think he is a good piece to move, great contract and has some upside still.

Life...

I am getting closer and closer to a (half) rebuild. Making the playoffs 6 years in a row is great but when you never make it past the 2nd round, then it's irrelevant after some time.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Coyle_

I think he is a good piece to move, great contract and has some upside still.

Life...

I am getting closer and closer to a (half) rebuild. Making the playoffs 6 years in a row is great but when you never make it past the 2nd round, then it's irrelevant after some time.
He's on a friendly contract, but trading him now would be selling low. Last season was the season to move him if you wanted to get a good return, this season the market will have dried up quite a bit.

Zucker is the sell high option.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
He's on a friendly contract, but trading him now would be selling low. Last season was the season to move him if you wanted to get a good return, this season the market will have dried up quite a bit.

Zucker is the sell high option.
Problem is so many have been upset all year watching Haula score goals. So imagine what will happen when Zucker gets moved and is still scoring. I know we need a shake-up, and I know he hasn't been good in the postseason. But a guy with his speed and scoring ability is something that I think we need to hang onto. We need a guy like him simply to even make the postseason. You need guys who can score in the regular season. I just don't see any other decent options to replace him.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Problem is so many have been upset all year watching Haula score goals. So imagine what will happen when Zucker gets moved and is still scoring. I know we need a shake-up, and I know he hasn't been good in the postseason. But a guy with his speed and scoring ability is something that I think we need to hang onto. We need a guy like him simply to even make the postseason. You need guys who can score in the regular season. I just don't see any other decent options to replace him.
We need to be willing to take a step backwards if we truly want to move forwards. Yes, losing Zucker would hurt, but if we get a young skilled player in return, one who has more than 1 tool in the toolbox (Let's be honest, it's Zucker's speed is the only thing he really brings to the table most of the time), or even in a package with Coyle for a high pick as well...

I am willing to take the hit in the near term regular season success if it means finally jump starting this team in 2-3yrs to actually have post season success.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
While I agree that Zucker brings qualities that this team doesn't have easy replacements for, if his presence is the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs we're in more trouble than I thought.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
While I agree that Zucker brings qualities that this team doesn't have easy replacements for, if his presence is the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs we're in more trouble than I thought.
We need to stop thinking about "making the playoffs" and start thinking about "winning in the playoffs".

Zucker has NEVER helped with that. I don't expect he will seeing how he played this year either. We need to sell now when his stock will NEVER be higher than it is today!

Reactions: Rabid Husky

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
We need to stop thinking about "making the playoffs" and start thinking about "winning in the playoffs".

Zucker has NEVER helped with that. I don't expect he will seeing how he played this year either. We need to sell now when his stock will NEVER be higher than it is today!
That too. I'll happily risk missing for a year if it offers some sort of path forward.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Fine. But Coyle goes first. And we keep Nino! He's been good in the postseason with exception to this year. Again, was he hurt? That remains to be seen.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Fine. But Coyle goes first. And we keep Nino! He's been good in the postseason with exception to this year. Again, was he hurt? That remains to be seen.
I agree, I have faith that Nino can improve...

I also agree that Coyle should go as well, but moving Coyle alone isn't going to change much. I think if we can only move one, Zucker is the choice because he can get the most return atm, but if we can move both, it would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad