Charlie Coyle - Center or Wing?

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
He needs to win faceoffs to last there. Otherwise I have no problems at him being at center although his biggest strength which is to win board battles won´t be utilized much if he plays center.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Yeo said in Russo's article that "Coyle elevates those around him." :biglaugh:

I'm sorry, but we have seen no evidence of that at all!

And Coyle has even been growing on me lately, but come on! He could get there, sure, but what the hell is the deal with Yeo's crush on this dude?

Just call a spade a spade and say you're trying to figure out where he belongs and not sugar coat it with intangibles and **** that we have never seen any evidence of.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Yeo said in Russo's article that "Coyle elevates those around him." :biglaugh:

I'm sorry, but we have seen no evidence of that at all!

And Coyle has even been growing on me lately, but come on! He could get there, sure, but what the hell is the deal with Yeo's crush on this dude?

Just call a spade a spade and say you're trying to figure out where he belongs and not sugar coat it with intangibles and **** that we have never seen any evidence of.

That's hilarious. Coyle can be a good 3rd wheel on a line. But he doesn't elevate anyone around him. His WOWY would suggest he drags people down slightly, probably due to his struggles converting his board dominance to chances on net.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Lots of Coyle talk recently, and I thought I would bump this after reading the last Russo's rants.. Yeo's playing with the line, and saying they want to focus on Coyle and give him more stability in the lineup..
Top 3?
Parise - Koivu - Pommers
Niederreiter-Granlund-Fontaine
Vanek - Coyle - Zucker

Also, Yeo stated that moving Coyle to center puts him "in a spot that would maximize his abilities and give him a little more stability in the lineup"

How long does Coyle at center last?

Hopefully it doesn't last outside of practice...

Coyle is not a good center. He's an acceptable middle-6 winger with flashes of what he was drafted to be. But I don't see him as EVER being an NHL center.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Coyle just isn't that great as a center. He is MOST effective along the boards, that is utilized best on the wing.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
If Haula was having a better season, I don't think Coyle would play center at all, despite the mancrush Yeo seems to have on him. But our center depth actually isn't that great.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Coyle just isn't that great as a center. He is MOST effective along the boards, that is utilized best on the wing.

I agree with that. He looked good at center from the little bit I saw of the Flyer game. Granted it was pretty much just the 3rd period. Still rather have him be a wing that can fill in for spot duty at center.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Haula was having a better season, I don't think Coyle would play center at all, despite the mancrush Yeo seems to have on him. But our center depth actually isn't that great.

C depth is pretty good compared to most. Koivu, Granlund, Haula, Coyle, Carter, Brodziak.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Coyle needs to play like he did last night. He's so strong with the puck on the boards. He was always billed as this power forward, but never consistently plays like a power forward. When he plays to his strengths he's a good player, he just needs to learn to do that night in and night out.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'm not surprised at Yeo's comments. He's always believe Coyle is just this elite player who gets everyone going. Didn't matter that the Zucker-Koivu-Coyle line scored zero goals (or was it one?) over that close to 10-game stretch.

JudgeJimmie

Oct 5, 2013
Rochester, MN
Personally.. I like Coyle at center.. He's a big body in the middle of the ice. Skates above average, plays a simple game. From the Flyers game last night, he still spends plenty of times down low and on the boards. As a center he gets to do that in the defensive zone too now.

I hope he sticks at center for the remainder of the season. We should give Haula a try as a speedy winger. Especially now that Zucker, and even Fontaine keep stepping up and collecting points, I would rather see them on the wings and Coyle down the middle.

Coyle's biggest strength, is also his biggest weakness.. He grinds along the boards and controls play, but doesn't create offense. Hopefully being center and more often then not the 3rd forward into the O-zone he can keep to the middle of the ice more and win the opportune puck battles that need to be won, instead of just grinding in the corners.

I just really like the looks of our lineup with Granny - Koivu - Coyle down the middle, and imo, I think Fontaine and especially Nino are proving they deserve more ice time, so this gets Coyle out of their way.

JudgeJimmie

Oct 5, 2013
Rochester, MN
Hey guys, figured it might be a good time to revisit this discussion!

I'm still on the Coyle for center train. I love the way he really moves with the puck and drives his line instead of being a passenger. In the end, it's nice to have options to put Charlie where he works best for the team.

Thoughts given his more recent play??!? Seems like Bruce is liking him at center!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He's a nice option to have at center in case of injury.

He's no more than a 3C, but is a top-6 wing; with the caveat that he's not in lala land.

If he's not being aggressive then 3C suits him better, he can play a little higher in the ozone and float more. When he's aggressive and banging down low then I want him on the wing.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like him at both! Playing him at C allows him to use his strength and speed more. Seems to have shaken up his game a bit and got him out of his slump. Wish he was better at FO's.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think when he's on his game, he's a far better wing, but if his mind goes off towards the butterflies and rainbows, you have to move him to center to get his focus back to the ice...but he's not a top line player as a center.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
I think he thinks like a center. Too much like one for his own good because his ceiling is far higher as a winger. It's good for the team to have the option though.

It's no wonder he looks better now at center since his slump began when he started to play like a centerman.

I've got no doubt Boudreau will figure it out sooner rather than later.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I don't know.

I've always have thought Coyle is much more assertive and drives the play better at center.

But it is always good to have size on the wing too.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Butterflies and Zebras, and Moonbeams, and fairy tales, that's all he ever thinks about.

Coyle tends to hibernate. When he plays C he can't. Unlike Granlund, he has the athleticism to play that position.

I think the main thing is that Coyle wakes up. When he does, he is a terrific player. If he has to play C in order to do that, then play him at C. Haula can play wing, or makes a great option as a 4 th line C/ pk'er. Graovac can slide over to the wing, or have a seat on the bench. That's another guy who needs a kick in the butt every now and again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad