Prospect Info: Charles Hudon (Recalled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Keep the successful ones down for their first full year before they start doing the yo-yo. This is how you build momentum. Let him have his 60+ pts season in peace, become a leader with the Bulldogs. Then next year, yo-yo, unless he dominates the camp that is.

I remember in the 90s how they would keep them down, without much yo-yo. Stefan Lebeau(130+ pts season?) is an example and this is what the Wings have kept doing.

Agreed. Calling him up would ruin his momentum and would probably end up hurting his confidence rather than boosting it. These kids don't need cookies, they need to keep working hard and eventually when the time is right they'll get their spot in the NHL.

When Hudon comes up, he'll have a spot in the top 9, playing him on the 4th line would only hurt his development... Similarly, Ghetto should stay put until there is a spot for him in the top 9 as well.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Not many similarities between the two aside from being hard workers. Stylistically they contrast. Plekanec looks to push the pace and execute at high speeds whereas Hudon slows it down and goes through his options, while also having the ability to create something out of nothing. Defensively the former relies on strong positioning while the latter anticipates where the play is going and sets traps, in addition to picking pockets.

Well said. Basically, people hear "good defensively" and think that it means they're stylistically similar. That's not always the case. That said, if he has a comparable statistical peak, I wouldn't complain.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Keep the successful ones down for their first full year before they start doing the yo-yo. This is how you build momentum. Let him have his 60+ pts season in peace, become a leader with the Bulldogs. Then next year, yo-yo, unless he dominates the camp that is.

I remember in the 90s how they would keep them down, without much yo-yo. Stefan Lebeau(130+ pts season?) is an example and this is what the Wings have kept doing.

I'm not talking about a month of NHL here. Just what Bowman lived. Give Hudon 2 or 3 games while being extremely clear that the purpose of it is to make him see what this league is all about post-preseason.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'd be happy if he becomes a Sergei Kostitsyn with more karactaire.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I'm not talking about a month of NHL here. Just what Bowman lived. Give Hudon 2 or 3 games while being extremely clear that the purpose of it is to make him see what this league is all about post-preseason.

Yeah, I would agree with you in the case of a physically top tier athlete.(Example, if the De La Rose was crushing it.) In the case of Hudon, you want to build an abundance of confidence in my opinion.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
There is a severe under rating of prospects on this board. :help:
I disagree. For years (decades!) we have turned the Wards and Higgins and Chipchuras of this world in 30 goals, 65 points scorers... For once I think people are more level headed. Statistically, most of those kids (Andrighetto, De La Rose, Thomas, Hudon, Tinordi, Beaulieu) won't make the NHL full time, ever, so to prefer them to stay in the AHL for 1-2 years is only realistic IMO.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I really don't think he's as great defensively as everyone keeps saying he is. Was he known for this in junior or something?

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
His production is actually higher than Plekanec's in the AHL. I think have more offensive potential. However, I doubt he's as durable as Plekanec. Defensively, I have not watched him enough so I can't comment.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I really don't think he's as great defensively as everyone keeps saying he is. Was he known for this in junior or something?

Lol! Why would you think he isn't good defensively, when you don't even know whether or not he was good at it in junior?

Just so you know, he was, and is excellent defensively. One of the smarter hockey players you'll see.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Yes, he was known as a 2 way forward.

Yeah, he has some Toews in the way he sees the game. Hopefully it translates into the NHL, he's always been one of the smarter players so that usually ends up being a pretty good forward.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Has always been very much part of his role for Team Canada, and a demonstrated strength in junior for sure. Same can basically be said for Dumont, though (won the Q best defensive forward award), and we're talking guys of pretty similar stature here.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Read here from a Hab fan (a year ago? forgot username, sorry!) that Hudon can be compared to a DOUG GILMOUR...love it!!
(and overall potential...between Gilmour and mini-Gilmour potential, or dare I say/write...or more!).

I'm hoping Hudon will one day be a solid PLAYOFF WARRIOR for us:yo:

MANY PLAYOFF WARRIORS = CUP #25:yo:

Hudon is more like a Quebecois Koivu or a Quebecois Doug Gilmour
VS
one dimensional lazy *** floater (Cammalleri).

Go Hudon Go!! (stay healthy and go get 'em!!).

<Cammalleri: when not scoring...absolutely useless (and couldn't stand his VERY cocky grin/smirk during interviews, but yes...I did like his playoff goals in '10 playoffs, but he was a ZERO defensively and ZERO for effort).

<Hudon: two-way player, heart, grit, talent

If he makes the nhl full-time he's a success in my book, this kid was a 5th round pick

With Timmins (and Hab scouts) that 5th rnd pick is sometimes like a late 1st rnd or 2nd Rnd Pick (ex: Gallagher was chosen in 5th rnd).

Hudon might go on to have a better career VS Gallagher...that's a good thing for our Habs. (or they will both go on to have long, good careers...similar in height but different styles, but probably similar in HEART/EFFORT/HUSTLE).

Last edited:

Disappearing Semin

Oct 18, 2012
Plekanec is a good comparison for Hudon, you should ask Yakupov lol. His skating is his weakest point but he still has time to work on it. Otherwise, it all depends if he can stay healthy.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Plekanec is a good comparison for Hudon, you should ask Yakupov lol. His skating is his weakest point but he still has time to work on it. Otherwise, it all depends if he can stay healthy.

except skating has always been one of Plekanec's biggest assets…

i'd compare Hudon moreso to Gallagher… if not in style, in trajectory.

He's a player whose "intangibles" add up to a greater impact than his physical/technical skills should warrant.

granted, Gallagher succeeds on the back of his intensity and fearlessness, Hudon's hockey I.Q seems to be his secret sauce, and both players share an abnormally large amount of tenacity.

if he stays healthy, i suspect Hudon will continue to surprise people in how quickly he adapts to the level of competition in front of him, and will become an impact forward for us far sooner than most would predict.

will be interesting to revisit this thread in a year from now...

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Lol! Why would you think he isn't good defensively, when you don't even know whether or not he was good at it in junior?

Just so you know, he was, and is excellent defensively. One of the smarter hockey players you'll see.

Because I watch him in Hamilton and see an offensive player with an active stick. Maybe he's just felt lazy the games I've watch him but the only time he seems to care defensively is when the puck carrier is already within 5 feet of him. I really don't see him being a defensive force in the NHL. If he makes it it will be because of his amazing ability to always be in the right spot in the offensive zone.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Read here from a Hab fan (a year ago? forgot username, sorry!) that Hudon can be compared to a DOUG GILMOUR...love it!!
(and overall potential...between Gilmour and mini-Gilmour potential, or dare I say/write...or more!).

Gilmour quite the lofty comparsion! He's hall of famer

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
except skating has always been one of Plekanec's biggest assets…

i'd compare Hudon moreso to Gallagher… if not in style, in trajectory.

He's a player whose "intangibles" add up to a greater impact than his physical/technical skills should warrant.

granted, Gallagher succeeds on the back of his intensity and fearlessness, Hudon's hockey I.Q seems to be his secret sauce, and both players share an abnormally large amount of tenacity.

if he stays healthy, i suspect Hudon will continue to surprise people in how quickly he adapts to the level of competition in front of him, and will become an impact forward for us far sooner than most would predict.

will be interesting to revisit this thread in a year from now..

Interesting analysis. Concussions and back injuries are particularly worrisome. He might bloom into a Patrice Bergeron-lite, in terms of coming back from nasty injuries to play a leading role. Although from a physical standpoint, I get the Gilmore comparison as well.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Why? Same hometown? Family?

I don't know about the poster you quoted but I come from the same hometown as Hudon. It would be pretty cool if he could make it and be good. Two assists tonight which means he just went over 1 ppg. Honestly didn't expect that from him.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Because I watch him in Hamilton and see an offensive player with an active stick. Maybe he's just felt lazy the games I've watch him but the only time he seems to care defensively is when the puck carrier is already within 5 feet of him. I really don't see him being a defensive force in the NHL. If he makes it it will be because of his amazing ability to always be in the right spot in the offensive zone.
Fair enough. I've said before that he is one of the more efficient players I've ever seen play. I've seen him go thirty seconds barely taking a stride, just slowly guiding from gap to gap and lane to lane, next thing you know he steals the puck and is gone the other way. It makes him seem lazy but really the guy is controlling the ice. For a young forward, he is so responsible on the ice, and can play chippy and in-your-face too. His awareness/IQ is really incredible which, coupled with his high end offensive talent, will make him a dangerous defensive player in the NHL as well, IMO.
Hudon is a deceptively strong skater. Think Zetterberg-like, he anchors low and is really hard to take off the puck without taking a penalty, regardless of his size. He definitely needs to work on explosiveness/strength but that is natural for a young guy. He needs to keep getting stronger and better fit, but his technique is good.
Has always been very much part of his role for Team Canada, and a demonstrated strength in junior for sure. Same can basically be said for Dumont, though (won the Q best defensive forward award), and we're talking guys of pretty similar stature here.
Their offensive talent and awareness are in different stratospheres though. Dumont is a hard worker with grit and some skill, limited awareness. Hudon is a skilled, cerebral player who is constantly affecting the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad