Prospect Info: Charles Hudon (Recalled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Better hands and worse skater. Could end up being a similarly productive player who can take tough matchups...but needs to show more durability.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Hudon in his first pro season has more offense than Ghetto or Thomas, both older but still projected NHL players. Hudon obviously has exceptional trait in some area to be able to do this. Likely, a Ray Ferraro type, he naturally knows where to be on ice to create offense. So, it looks real good for him.

Plekanec played 3 full seasons in Hamilton before he was able to make the jump to NHL. I haven't seen any Hamilton games this season, going by stats Hudon may be able to make the jump this spring. Could be a good addition for the playoffs. Something Serge Savard employed, bring up top prospect late in season in hopes they add for playoffs. He was able to do fairly sucessful many playoff years, in rookies like Lemieux, Chelios, Brunet or Desjardins.

To be fair Plekanec was expected to make the jump to the NHL heading into that 3rd year but the NHL season was lost because of the lockout year.

And I'm not sure Ghetto or Thomas are really projected to be NHL players. They have a chance but it's 50/50 at best for both of them.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
If Hudon can improve his skating he will be an NHLer. That's the key

Not really. Like Giroux, Hudon doesn't need to be that fast. He's slowing down the game. Skating is important for the kind of players that absolutely needs to win races. Hudon is not one such player because he will gain control of the puck at his speed.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
You know, when Pleks first came up he was NEVER projected to be what he is today.

Everyone had him pegged as a good 3rd line, two-way centre. This is always what he was supposed to be.

His scoring was a bit of a surprise.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I still don't see any reason to expect Hudon to crack the NHL level with any real success - let alone Plekanec-type success. The wussier the NHL makes itself, the better his chances, though.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I made a prediction similar with Bournival last year when he was tearing it up. I have more reserve now about that. :o

I get overzealous with my predictions too.

My favorite was when I was convinced Benoit Pouliot was the next Vinny Lecavalier.

Montreal Benoit Pouliot, too.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
He needs to put on some muscle, but he can definitely become a middle 6 player. And I have a feeling he and McCarron could do some real damage together in the AHL next year. They seem like they would complement each other well.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I get overzealous with my predictions too.

My favorite was when I was convinced Benoit Pouliot was the next Vinny Lecavalier.

Montreal Benoit Pouliot, too.

He's not far from being a Lecavalier these days. Well, a washed up Lecavalier.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Not many similarities between the two aside from being hard workers. Stylistically they contrast. Plekanec looks to push the pace and execute at high speeds whereas Hudon slows it down and goes through his options, while also having the ability to create something out of nothing. Defensively the former relies on strong positioning while the latter anticipates where the play is going and sets traps, in addition to picking pockets.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I love the guy, he's been my favorite Habs prospect since he was drafted. I'd be surprised if he didn't turn out to be an NHLer for a long, long time.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
The better question would be "how does he compare to Louis Leblanc?"

Louis had a fast start in the AHL and was not durable.

I guess time will tell and I hope he takes a different path than Leblanc. We always need Center depth.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

I guess time will tell and I hope he takes a different path than Leblanc. We always need Center depth.

fair point. hudon has a much higher hockey IQ and better work ethic. He is top 6 material IF he can get bigger and of course, avoid injury

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Hudon has hockey IQ.. Actually shows he wants to be on the ice. Oh yeah, he also has offensive tools..

Leblanc was a steaming pile of useless and I don't care about his USHL production or McKenzie's rankings.. I never saw anything from him that said, oh that's his skillset.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I have to say, I never thought he had the start of season he's having now. Just don't see him with some offensive numbers to show for in the pros and yet, he does. We'll see how that continues. He needs to be faster and stronger. But as of now, what he's doing is great to see. And frankly at one point, you need to show as an organization that you are indeed noticing when something great happens....Hudon would deserve a callup at this point even if he could struggle with the physical aspect of it. Don't need to be too many games, a few games even if it's for him to see what he needs to improve to be a NHL'er.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

What?! Do I need to pay the coffee around here? Durability applies to every player.

That being said, Leblanc and Hudon can not be more different. Let's stop wanting to compare all of these guys. Hudon is Hudon, he will have the career he will have.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I have to say, I never thought he had the start of season he's having now. Just don't see him with some offensive numbers to show for in the pros and yet, he does. We'll see how that continues. He needs to be faster and stronger. But as of now, what he's doing is great to see. And frankly at one point, you need to show as an organization that you are indeed noticing when something great happens....Hudon would deserve a callup at this point even if he could struggle with the physical aspect of it. Don't need to be too many games, a few games even if it's for him to see what he needs to improve to be a NHL'er.

Keep the successful ones down for their first full year before they start doing the yo-yo. This is how you build momentum. Let him have his 60+ pts season in peace, become a leader with the Bulldogs. Then next year, yo-yo, unless he dominates the camp that is.

I remember in the 90s how they would keep them down, without much yo-yo. Stefan Lebeau(130+ pts season?) is an example and this is what the Wings have kept doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad