Post-Game Talk: Chaos

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
When this team sags. Or perhaps I should say "when the second period comes"

They get absolutely destroyed. Even after that massive winning streak where they seemed to figure out how to sag and play defense. They've kind of lost it.

I'm not sure anyone is stopping pucks for the Oilers when they sag. They just become so porous.
I don't care who you have in net the results will be the same. If you give up a shit ton of chances the other team scores.

They can't bring their best game until they're guilty. It's the identity of the team. It will be their undoing. Too many good teams in the league we won't be able to come back against. Because unfortunately I feel the identify for this team is "The first one's free"

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I see the Kane haters are out in full. Yes lets trade an imposing physical presence that scores and is a playoff performer.
I don’t get it myself. Skinner let in a couple stinkers last night. Kane or anyone else offensively was not the problem last night. 5 goals should be enough on any night to win. Kane has 21 goals on the season. That’s not terrible, which some seem to think it is. And like you mentioned he is physical, and that is something we lack. Trading him would be a dumb decision

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
it was extremely evident that Nuge on the PP is a type of catalyst for this team. fun game to watch and cant really blame skinner on the tipped shots.

Side note Corey Perry is awesome and the team will be fine. i think the oilers figured out swayman, shoot high get the rebound. he lets out a lot of rebounds on those high shots.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ok, so Lindgren has a 25 game sample size of being an above average NHL goalie at 30 years old so lets trade the 25 year old goalie who made the rookie All Star team and has had some good stretches in his 2nd season for a 30 year old journeyman and hope for the best? Might as well just made Pickard the starter in that case.

This whole debate is tiring. I'm not saying that Skinner is without flaws, I'm not saying that he hasn't been poor since the ASB, I can understand why folks don't trust him but it irks me that so many of you are so eager and willing to ship him out of town and come up with no surefire upgrade to supplant him. If they get Saros then of course you get rid of Skinner or relegate him to backup but for Lindgren? Well, color me skeptical.

Let me just address a few things.

1.) A few posters are of the "we can't spend anything on goaltending!" camp so names like Lindgren, Nedeljkovic, Kakhonen, MAF, etc. are being suggested as cheaper insurance options ala Adin Hill who was putting up decent numbers on bad teams before Vegas took a chance on him as their no.4 goalie for peanuts and ended up winning a Cup because of it.

If you don't like it, then by all means, go suggest how we get an established starter with miles under their belt like a Saros or Markstrom.

2.) Skinner was red hot last year too going into the playoffs (Oilers won 13/14, their "tandem" looked great). And then what happened? He immediately shit the bed vs. LA and did everything he could to get the Oilers eliminated in round 1 before killing us in round 2.

3.) Skinner has the same weaknesses as he did last year, and his numbers are worse than last year. He is still very slow post to post. He is still extremely slow on the ice, there is no second/third effort once he gets down on the ice that you see from other goalies. He still has a tendency to spit rebouds out right into juicy scoring areas, Vegas in particular looks like they even scout for this tendancy, throwing nothing shots at Skinner's pads from the point non stop. And it works, they generally get a goal per game extra because of it.

When he is off his game a bit, then we also see him start allowing goals from distance to eek past him even when he is supposed to be "square" to the puck, been seeing this happen again to him since the All-Star break. A legit, confident goalie corrects this issue within a game and shakes it off, with Skinner as we've seen since the All-Star break it becomes an issue that bleeds into multiple games.

He doesn't have any ability to take over a game pretty much ever. And no, you don't need to be Hasek to do that, Mike Smith and Cam Talbot did it plenty of times here. Roloson did it for entire series' at a time in 2006 to get the Oilers to a Cup Final.

Young goalies can take 3/4/5 years to really find their playoff stride, and a lot of them never do. That's how it works with these guys.

Who really believes Skinner is going to hold up for 3, let alone 4 playoff rounds? The fact is too we could be looking at our hardest round right in round 1 (likely Vegas). To me it's more a question of when either Pickard or (gulp) Campbell are forced to take over the net in the playoffs, not if.

Last edited:

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Or out shoot the Canucks 21-2 and be down 1-0. Then 21-3 and be down 2-0. Then 21-4 and be down 3-0.

Pretty cool, right?
Yup

All 3 Canucks games, the Oilers were controlling the play to begin. Game 1 it was ALL Edmonton until about 12/13 min in and the floodgates opened,

Game 2 we demolished them in play.

Game 3 we destroyed them first period and Canucks come back and score 2 in bunches

WPG game SKinner gave them the puck

Dallas game in EDM he let in such a weak goal that most goalies save for the first goal. On and on.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
it was extremely evident that Nuge on the PP is a type of catalyst for this team. fun game to watch and cant really blame skinner on the tipped shots.

Side note Corey Perry is awesome and the team will be fine. i think the oilers figured out swayman, shoot high get the rebound. he lets out a lot of rebounds on those high shots.

Another confusing coaching decision tonight I thought was the choice to put Leon up in Nuge's spot on the 5 on 4 PP. He's the guy that won't shoot unless it's back door, and loves the high risk plays high in the zone and isn't afraid to turn it over there either. Should have been McDavid in that spot all day with Kane and Hyman buzzing around the net and Leon in his normal spot. Didn't get that at all.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Many posters confuse goal scoring with a good performance. One has zero to do with the other.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I think some of you have very unrealistic expectations of goalies in today's NHL. It's not 2003 anymore when top goalies have 1.70 GAA's and face two grade-A shots per game.

Skinner had a somewhat poor game, no doubt. He's also a really good goalie right now.

Since November 10th, Skinner has:
-- 24 wins (1st NHL)
-- .916 save percentage (10th NHL -- for comparison, Vasilevskiy has an .898)
-- A 24 - 7 - 1 record

According to the Cult of Hockey, Boston had TWENTY Grade-A shots in this game, which isn't Skinner's fault. So, yeah, with that number vs. an average team (Boston is clearly much better than average) you'd expect any NHL goalie to let in about 4 goals on a normal night. Skinner let in 5. So certainly not a great night for him, but not terrible either. The reason the Oilers got 1 point instead of 2 in this game is mainly that they gave up way too many high-danger scoring chances.

Some of you seem to think one average or subpar game means our top goalie needs to be demoted to the minors. I'm just saying, have a little perspective.
Instead of using Cult of hockey. We outplayed, out chanced, out everything Boston except Skinner.

Attachments

• IMG_5646.png
    IMG_5646.png
    360.9 KB · Views: 1

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Seems that good teams know how to expose him....we will not win with him in the playoffs...been saying this all year.

He figured out how to make East West saves - by cheating off the post.

Now teams have figured out that he's cheating off the short side post and are just eating him alive high short side.

Just ask that sniper Bjugstad that dinged him there twice.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I enjoyed watching the game. It was entertaining. We got a point. The Oilers can and do play with anyone in the league. Could use a F, D, to improve the team at the deadline, but who couldn't.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
I would like to see what Perry can do on our top unit PP. Maybe we utilize 2 units, like what every other NHL team does

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think some of you have very unrealistic expectations of goalies in today's NHL. It's not 2003 anymore when top goalies have 1.70 GAA's and face two grade-A shots per game.

Skinner had a somewhat poor game, no doubt. He's also a really good goalie right now.

Since November 10th, Skinner has:
-- 24 wins (1st NHL)
-- .916 save percentage (10th NHL -- for comparison, Vasilevskiy has an .898)
-- A 24 - 7 - 1 record

According to the Cult of Hockey, Boston had TWENTY Grade-A shots in this game, which isn't Skinner's fault. So, yeah, with that number vs. an average team (Boston is clearly much better than average) you'd expect any NHL goalie to let in about 4 goals on a normal night. Skinner let in 5. So certainly not a great night for him, but not terrible either. The reason the Oilers got 1 point instead of 2 in this game is mainly that they gave up way too many high-danger scoring chances.

Some of you seem to think one average or subpar game means our top goalie needs to be demoted to the minors. I'm just saying, have a little perspective.

Attachments

• 7C3A6989-24DE-43A9-9A64-C6893B1558C4.jpeg
    7C3A6989-24DE-43A9-9A64-C6893B1558C4.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Vikingstad

**** the King
May 1, 2011
Vancouver
We took the best team in the east and lost in OT. Yes it was a little ugly as to how but I really don't see why the doomsayers are out in full force after this. Take the point on to the next.

Reactions: TB12

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don’t get it myself. Skinner let in a couple stinkers last night. Kane or anyone else offensively was not the problem last night. 5 goals should be enough on any night to win. Kane has 21 goals on the season. That’s not terrible, which some seem to think it is. And like you mentioned he is physical, and that is something we lack. Trading him would be a dumb decision
Kane had a bad game. He'll likely be the first to tell you that. But the stupid over the top comments on here about him are ridiculous.

Skinner sucked.

The duo of Nurse and Ceci got walked nearly every time they were on the ice.

Draisaitl did absolutely nothing, as he slogged around in his cement boots.

Sure, let's get rid of all of them.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I hate to say it, but Draisaitl is not anywhere close to the 2nd best in the world this year. He'd be lucky to crack the top 20 this season.
I've defended him to death on this site, but unfortunately, I would have to agree. I have no idea what's been wrong with him but he better step it up for the playoffs.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad