Post-Game Talk: Chaos

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Pasta was so much better than Draisaitl tonight.
He has been all year.

I've heard he's been playing with an injury all season. I have no idea if that's true, but it would explain some things. He has not been close to the dominant Drai we've seen in past seasons. Doesn't help that McDavid's goal scoring has dried up recently.
If he's injured, shouldn't he sit out? We could Vegas him onto LTIR and fill his cap space with deadline acquisitions that fill our needs for 1A/1B G, D, and F.

Reactions: frag2

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
I think some of you have very unrealistic expectations of goalies in today's NHL. It's not 2003 anymore when top goalies have 1.70 GAA's and face two grade-A shots per game.

Skinner had a somewhat poor game, no doubt. He's also a really good goalie right now.

Since November 10th, Skinner has:
-- 24 wins (1st NHL)
-- .916 save percentage (10th NHL -- for comparison, Vasilevskiy has an .898)
-- A 24 - 7 - 1 record

According to the Cult of Hockey, Boston had TWENTY Grade-A shots in this game, which isn't Skinner's fault. So, yeah, with that number vs. an average team (Boston is clearly much better than average) you'd expect any NHL goalie to let in about 4 goals on a normal night. Skinner let in 5. So certainly not a great night for him, but not terrible either. The reason the Oilers got 1 point instead of 2 in this game is mainly that they gave up way too many high-danger scoring chances.

Some of you seem to think one average or subpar game means our top goalie needs to be demoted to the minors. I'm just saying, have a little perspective.
I've always been of the opinion that the stats you listed are not a good metric by which to judge a goalies' performance, because they're all team based more than individual based. Skinner's numbers shot up when the team was playing tight defence during that epic, glorious (and maybe a little fortuitous) winning streak. His game was solid to be sure, but it wasn't like he was stealing anything for us, at least not to these old eyes. I like Skinner and I really hope he ends up being the guy but I'm just not seeing what some other posters are, I guess. To my point about these numbers being misleading, you bring up Vasilevskiy's stats a comparison. Let's be honest: if the playoffs started tomorrow, whom would you want in net, Skinner or Vasilevskiy?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Instead of using Cult of hockey. We outplayed, out chanced, out everything Boston except Skinner.
there was a 3+ min shift that the oilers completely pinned the bruins in their zone. easily a winnable game. teams are starting to layer net front presence on in the oilers zone, need the far side winger in a zone to come lower and take that option away. which im sure knob can see and will adjust.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I see the Kane haters are out in full. Yes lets trade an imposing physical presence that scores and is a playoff performer.
Yeah. I give him credit for being in the play, being a forward and yet being closest to being in the play and trying to make a saving play. Kane balled out on the play doing everything he could, or knew how to do on the play. It was an excellent toedrag, and even at that Kane almost had it. The real disgrace is Skinner missing on a pokecheck twice in OT and paying for it the 2nd time. Skinner is a goalie, he's supposed to know how to use his paddle.
Kane is a forward put in a D spot there and having to be a D in that moment.

I'd far rather have Kane trying hard to prevent a goal there or have somebody like OV stand straight up doing nothing watching the play. Which several star players in the league would do. We're spoiled here with our forwards, generally.

Instead of using Cult of hockey. We outplayed, out chanced, out everything Boston except Skinner.
Exactly. It was onesided for long parts of this game. Skinner didn't have half the degree of difficulty in this game as Swayman had and still got beat more. Skinner failing to even make routine stops in this game because he's so inept.

The goalie pull should have occurred. I was calling for it. Doesn't seem like KK ever does that. Game might have ended differently. Such a shame to come back 3 goals down and your goalie keeps giving the game back. Seen this movie before. Anybody remember Drai scoring 4 goals in game 1 vs Knights and Oilers losing? Drai went cold soon after that because it didn't seem to matter what he did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mez

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Pickard getting the Minny game, Skinner will get the Calgary game, you would have to think if Skinner shits bed against Calgary he might lose the net to Pickard for a bit.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I was at the game live last night. My thoughts watching live:

(1) Skinner and Swayman were both on fire in the first period, at least live, I thought Skinner really bailed out the Oilers early, who looked like they were playing a Saturday afternoon game in New Jersey. The Marchand goal was poor and maybe one other he might have stopped, but I didn’t think Skinner was the problem (though he wasn't the solution);

(2) Drai’s line had absolutely nada going all night long, Drai looked tired. Rumors the flu is going around, that's what Drai looked like, a guy at 75%.

(3) If we have Nuge playing, we win that game. I’m not sure we can win many games having Brown, Gagner and Perry all playing. Gagner is a smart player but he just couldn’t get anywhere last night. Add in Kane and Ryan and everything drags.

(4) McDavid needs to shoot more, he had one prime chance in the slot that would have been top corner last season and he passed it up.

(5) Bouchard had a fantastic game and wow his stretch passes are a lot more visible live….except his shot was off. And then you get a couple of lobs from Ceci and Nurse that lead to goals, what a weird game.

(6) Really didn’t get Knoblauch’s decisions in OT. Both McLeod and Kane were poor.

(7) Special teams need some tinkering. PK still scrambly, and the PP seems tired, granted taking Nuge away from PP1 and putting on Kane isn’t really a solution.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pickard getting the Minny game, Skinner will get the Calgary game, you would have to think if Skinner shits bed against Calgary he might lose the net to Pickard for a bit.
Really I don't think this ever occurs. This org is in love with Skinner. We've seen this movie before. Pickard could be better than Skinner (oh wait, he actually has been) and hardly get any starts. Pickard could be on a win streak heater (he is) and not be getting the starts. Campbell could be massively better than Skinner in playoffs, in both rounds, and not get any starts.

Its the Stewy kid. Thats it all the time. The script so written the org didn't even question Skinner getting special heritage classic pads made for the game. Just assumed he was starting. Despite that he was playing like crap and got the start anyway.

At least Joaquin Gage could feel good and get a bit of a laugh last night.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I was at the game live last night. My thoughts watching live:

(1) Skinner and Swayman were both on fire in the first period, at least live, I thought Skinner really bailed out the Oilers early, who looked like they were playing a Saturday afternoon game in New Jersey. The Marchand goal was poor and maybe one other he might have stopped, but I didn’t think Skinner was the problem (though he wasn't the solution);

(2) Drai’s line had absolutely nada going all night long, Drai looked tired. Rumors the flu is going around, that's what Drai looked like, a guy at 75%.

(3) If we have Nuge playing, we win that game. I’m not sure we can win many games having Brown, Gagner and Perry all playing. Gagner is a smart player but he just couldn’t get anywhere last night. Add in Kane and Ryan and everything drags.

(4) McDavid needs to shoot more, he had one prime chance in the slot that would have been top corner last season and he passed it up.

(5) Bouchard had a fantastic game and wow his stretch passes are a lot more visible live….except his shot was off. And then you get a couple of lobs from Ceci and Nurse that lead to goals, what a weird game.

(6) Really didn’t get Knoblauch’s decisions in OT. Both McLeod and Kane were poor.

(7) Special teams need some tinkering. PK still scrambly, and the PP seems tired, granted taking Nuge away from PP1 and putting on Kane isn’t really a solution.
It’s regular season. It’s the place to try stuff out. The team did a good job at getting to the place they should have won the game at.

Reactions: capazzo

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If you ask natural stat trick the high danger scoring chances were 19-11 for Edmonton, with low danger chances being 36-21 for Edmonton.

We out chanced them by a mile.

Unfortunately having a goalie with a terrible high danger SV% will even out those chances pretty quick.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Hell of a hockey game which I just watched this morning. Both sides of the coin - some excellent aspects and some worrisome trends.

Bluepaint scoring is a thing. Foegele, Perry, Hyman, Janmark convert in the hard areas. Adding Perry has been fantastic and getting more bodies into the opposition home plate area is where games are won. Team resiliency coming back from two deficits against an elite team is huge. Pushing to evens on a 3 goal deficit is confidence building and one that gets stored in the memory banks. Oil got a point with pretty pedestrian games from McDavid and Draisaitl.

Skinner bad goals and team defensive structure breakdown is trending the wrong way. He can't give up the Marchand goal. Defense corp is starting to leave its structure again from net front protection with too much chase low danger forwards behind the net or high as Ceci did on a goal. D pairings are also throwing the puck east to west more in own zone which is resulting in unforced error turnovers. PK sinking so badly is a major problem.

Skinner is a largely unknown quantity still as a young, emerging goaltender. Best deadline strategy imo is to build up critical areas around him to mitigate the high risk high reward on a second year goaltender. Target a top 4RD (hardest to find) and a hard game 3C experienced in critical situations and a top PK guy.

Holland continues to gain information on this team through this phase of better competition. Both good and some bad trending including areas of absolute kryptonite for teams within the heart of their winning window as the Oilers are.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
We scored 5 goals against Boston without Nuge and managed to get a point. I'd say it was a good outcome, we just need more timely saves.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Kane had a bad game. He'll likely be the first to tell you that. But the stupid over the top comments on here about him are ridiculous.

Skinner sucked.

The duo of Nurse and Ceci got walked nearly every time they were on the ice.

Draisaitl did absolutely nothing, as he slogged around in his cement boots.

Sure, let's get rid of all of them.
Exactly. It’s like nobody can have a bad game anymore. It’s ridiculous

Only thing I will say is Skinner is still inconsistent. Has a handful of good games, but then can be very average for a stretch. Frustrating. But it is what it is

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Reading over the comments since last night (my time)... I conclude that at least 75% of you are insane.

For f***'s sakes, the team has lost three of the past 24 games. (I'm guessing that's better than the Dynasty Oilers ever did in a 24-game stretch.) The club is in an inconsistent patch since the All Star break, but has lost only 3 of 8 in this time. Yes, Skinner had dipped in play (for five games) since the break... and so did every other goalie in history who won Vezinas / Cups, over five-game stretches. McDavid is afraid to shoot but will probably win another scoring title. The team defense since Knoblach is vastly improved. Bouchard is an emerging star. The club is going to make the playoffs easily barring a massive collapse.

The team just tied the best NHL club for the past three years in a thrilling game (with some suspect D and goaltending on both sides).

It's a good time to be an Oilers' fan. Maybe try enjoying the ride a bit.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Reading over the comments since last night (my time)... I conclude that at least 75% of you are insane.

For f***'s sakes, the team has lost three of the past 24 games. (I'm guessing that's better than the Dynasty Oilers ever did in a 24-game stretch.) The club is in an inconsistent patch since the All Star break, but has lost only 3 of 8 in this time. Yes, Skinner had dipped in play (for five games) since the break... and so did every other goalie in history who won Vezinas / Cups, over five-game stretches. McDavid is afraid to shoot but will probably win another scoring title. The team defense since Knoblach is vastly improved. Bouchard is an emerging star. The club is going to make the playoffs easily barring a massive collapse.

The team just tied the best NHL club for the past three years in a thrilling game (with some suspect D and goaltending on both sides).

Stop it with this well thought out, non-emotional post.
This is HFOil or did you forget that.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Yup lets be happy winning in the regular season just like the end of last season. Then go out in the 2nd round again and just be happy cause we won 16 in a row this year.

That type of mentality is what will never get Mcdavid a cup here. Enjoy folks

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Foegele was great with 97 and 18. When RNH returns try him with 55 and 90. Maybe we have 3 scoring lines!

Reactions: Duke74

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Yup lets be happy winning in the regular season just like the end of last season. Then go out in the 2nd round again and just be happy cause we won 16 in a row this year.

That type of mentality is what will never get Mcdavid a cup here. Enjoy folks
Yeah, the never ending hand wringing while the sky is falling mentality after every loss or perceived poor performance is so much better.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad