Oct 11, 2017
Back at it this weekend
I can see it being 100 beer weekend
Darts both Friday and Saturday so I see a badddd buzz on coming my way
C ya Friday night

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
I don’t think it’ll sink us but it might be an unnecessary distraction.

It’s essentially a low-reward venture and if we we’re going to do it we should’ve done it already. I’m sure there is a reason why Rodrigue stayed in the AHL when the sky was falling through the first 12 games.

Another distinction to be made with Ward vs Rodrigue is that when Ward was asked to go in the playoffs he already had almost 30 NHL games that year and was Carolina’s backup all year. Practicing with NHL players all year.

Ok, you've intrigued me and I did some digging: Matt Murray in 2016 only played 16 games and won the cup. Ken Dryden played six games in 1971 and won the cup. It has happened.

I don't want to sound like I'm predicting that will happen and I know the odds are low, but we also have a pressing need on defense that won't come cheap and we don't have a lot to trade away.

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
I’m not arguing with ya and I’m up for giving him a game or 2 but we can’t go on with false hope . I understand what you’re getting at. Dryden, Roy, Bennington, Murray, etc.
I think Rodrique is plan B if Skinner don’t work out hence the short contract for Skinner.

Oh, definitely. If he doesn't pan out right away this season then we need to go for a goalie, then a D, and then another forward, in that order.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Knob on the GAs since the break. Says 5v5 its been good and about on par. But says the PK has been leaking and needs to be shored up.

Mark Stuart had a rockstar PK at one point this year, has it been scouted and can he adjust as a 1st year PK coach?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Bahahaha what? I missed the stone one. How is this stuff still allowed.

Can’t wait for the media to show footage of stone hobbling off the ice in practice right before the playoffs. Only to have him be totally fine when the big dance starts. I don’t know how other gms put up with this stuff. It’s so obvious

Yep, its true. Watch him and Eichel both be magically healthy for G1 in the playoffs after they use capspace on players like Guentzel, etc. Its such a crock of shit from this league to allow it from Vegas for a 3rd consecutive season in a row

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
McLeod got massively picked on that goal. Just got bodychecked lol

Watch Skinner on this wraparound before. Tell me you have not seen this 100x with him

He always bites on it.

Kane attempting the classic 'starfish' made me shake my head. To this day, I f***ing hate it when any Oiler player tries that. Stay on your goddamn feet.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Oh, definitely. If he doesn't pan out right away this season then we need to go for a goalie, then a D, and then another forward, in that order.
We definitely have an elephant in the room with the Campbell situation. I’ve watched a few AHL games recently and he has been good. They say there were lots of scouts at the games but I doubt it was for Soupy

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Right now Skinner is 32nd is goals saved above expected at 0.4

This is basically what he is as a sophomore. Good or very bad

No consistency

Minimum 20 GP

Skinner is ranked #3 in expected GAA at 2.58

He is #32 in GAA better than expected

NJ will get a good goalie in Markstrom. Too bad he is on a rival. He is top 5 in a lot of stats with Demko, Hill, Hell, etc

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
McLeod got massively picked on that goal. Just got bodychecked lol

Watch Skinner on this wraparound before. Tell me you have not seen this 100x with him

He always bites on it.

Yeah, that was some goofed up shit even before the goal. Skinner with terrible edge control floating right out of his crease. Then he's scramble mode the rest of the way. lolol at the pokecheck attempt. If Skinner reads the play, and he should its paddle down on ice, not trying to fish for it with his blade as if he knows how to use his stick. Maybe paddle down can be the next lesson. The goal stick made so that if you put the paddle flat it breaks up plays like this. he's trying to play it with his blade. Hill would throw the stick in that sequence and get away with it. Worth a shot too. Do something other than watch the puck go in for the 6th time.

Kane attempting the classic 'starfish' made me shake my head. To this day, I f***ing hate it when any Oiler player tries that. Stay on your goddamn feet.
In fairness he's not a D, and it was 5 inches from working, and that was one outstanding toedrag...But Skinner watches all that with ??? marks in his head not having a clue whats going to happen next. lol. The scouting report is drag the puck around skinner and beat him like a mule. Works like a charm. Everybody knows that but Skinner.

Last edited:

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Lindgren might not be a bad bet but is he available?
Also, he's a 30 year old that never did anything until this season so is he that much better than Pickard? He's not supplanting Skinner.
He is up there for top goalies in high danger save %

SOmething we need badly here and there.

I remember when they targeted Talbot, he had a good high danger save % and I kept reading they liked that

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Guess who is at the tops in High Danger unblocked save %?

KK on SJ
Quick
Lindgren
Hill
Gibson
Binnington
Markstrom
Evis
Ingram

Skinner is 43rd

That’s an interesting collection of goalies.

Some make a lot of sense (Ingram, Markstrom, Hill, Quick), some make absolutely no sense (Merzlikins, Gibson).

I wonder if being on terrible defensive squads artificially inflates this stat. Because I’d say that 5 or 6 of these goalies are on teams that I would consider to be below-average to bad defensively.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah, that was some goofed up shit even before the goal. Skinner with terrible edge control floating right out of his cage. Then he's scramble mode the rest of the way. lolol at the pokecheck attempt. If Skinner reads the play, and he should its paddle down on ice, not trying to fish for it with his blade as if he knows how to use his stick. Maybe paddle down can be the next lesson. The goal stick made so that if you put the paddle flat it breaks up plays like this. he's trying to play it with his blade. Hill would throw the stick in that sequence and get away with it. Worth a shot too. Do something other than watch the puck go in for the 6th time.

In fairness he's not a D, and it was 5 inches from working, and that was one outstanding toedrag...But Skinner watches all that with ??? marks in his head not having a clue whats going to happen next. lol. The scouting report is drag the puck around skinner and beat him like a mule. Works like a charm. Everybody knows that but Skinner.

Oh, I agree with Skinner being at fault too. I'm just not a fan of the starfish.

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Goals Saved Above Expected:

Lindgren - 14th in the league
Skinner - 47th in the league (don't think this factors in tonight so probably lower)
Pickard - 49th

Save Percentage:

Lindgren - .915 in 25 games
Skinner - .903 in 40 games
Pickard - .910 in 11 games

Why exactly does Skinner get this much rope? You guys are aware that his mustache doesn't stop pucks and just because he's from Northern Alberta that doesn't automatically make him Grant Fuhr. If anything he's an anti-Fuhr, he has to be one of the slowest Oiler goalies moving post to post whereas Fuhr was a cat in net.
They gotta get him on the treadmill and low carb diet from now on if they are hitching the wagon to him.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
1st period fun.
2nd period maddening.
3rd period entertaining.
OT period Skinner Kane McLoed f***s sakes.
Drive home traffic crazy.
Morning coming too early.

Reactions: fresh meat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad