Speculation: Changes In Calgary: The Search For a New GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Who do you think will be the new GM in Cow Town? Some names that have been thrown around are Nieuwendyk, Poulin, Loiselle, Futa, Benning, Treliving.

Not going to lie, I don't much about any of those guys except ol Joey. But he did a brutal job in Dallas. Burke talked about possibly getting a young guy with not much GMing experience if any. Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Who do you think will be the new GM in Cow Town? Some names that have been thrown around are Nieuwendyk, Poulin, Loiselle, Futa, Benning, Treliving.

Not going to lie, I don't much about any of those guys except ol Joey. But he did a brutal job in Dallas. Burke talked about possibly getting a young guy with not much GMing experience if any. Interesting.
He also alluded several times to having permission to talk to another guy. IMO the signs are pointing to Paul Fenton in Nashville.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
If Nieuwendyk becomes our GM, I'll be so pissed off I can't even begin to explain it. He was horrible in Dallas. **** the nostalgia elements of his history with us, I don't want him near the team.

flamer4life

Feb 22, 2012
Cowtown
I'm surprised that no ones mentioned Ron Hextall. I think he be an amazing gm. Great with young guys, helped build L.A through the draft. Learned for Dean Lombardi

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Dreger tweeting that the Flames have been given permission to talk to Nieuwendyk.

Anyone know Burke's address?

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Dreger tweeting that the Flames have been given permission to talk to Nieuwendyk.

Anyone know Burke's address?

Neil-Patrick-Harris-Gun-to-Head.gif

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
What I found about Joey:

What ultimately doomed Nieuwendyk was his apparent inability to approach the job with the killer instinct the best in the business have to offer. A incredibly classy person away from the office and the ice, Nieuwendyk felt it important to give departing players the best situation available for them and to make it known the Stars would do what was right for players on their way out. Unfortunately, this approach hamstrung his own franchise by failing to secure the proper value in return that would legitimize the trades and moves he would make.

There was also an apparent aversion to truly take risks, or perhaps to play it too safe with the risks that were taken. Too many middle-ceiling/high-floor players were acquired instead of the risk that true elite talent could bring to the franchise -- shown mostly by the four first-round draft picks during Nieuwendyk's time as general manager.
http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/4/29/4281690/dallas-stars-fire-joe-nieuwendyk-jim-nill-legacy

Doesn't sound like a Burke guy to me.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

Burke wants to run the club himself and have someone who is not going to argue with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad