Seravalli: Changes are coming to the Calgary Flames this summer “Pre-eruption of volcano”

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I’d pretty much come back with the same roster + Wolf and Coronato. Minus Lucic and Ritchie. Bring the band back once more and if it doesn’t work than move on from Tanev, Backlund (maybe), Toffoli, and possibly Lindholm at the deadline. Obviously, if there is a too good to be true deal out there you make it.

I’m signing Ras and Hanifin long term though. They can have Weegar contracts. The D on this team is the heart of the team and with Wolf that’s a combo I feel that will keep the Flames competitive.

We have several good young pieces coming so trades aren’t as pressing as some people seem to think.

That's definitely a good point.

The Flames have a bunch of up and coming forwards that are just as good or better than any draft pick they'd receive outside of the top 6 or so. The idea that the Flames are just starving for prospects and should load up on mid and late round picks is ridiculous. From a 10+ pick, the Flames are not likely to get anyone better than Coronato, Zary, Pelletier, or Phillips, and those players will be several years behind in their development.

Top 5 picks...bring em on. Mid round pics? Not going to change much in the organization, and there's no rush to acquire them by this draft.

Reactions: Nanuuk

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Lindholm
Hanafin
Backlund
Toffoli
Tanev

All UFA at the end of 23-24. They’d be wise to wheel and deal this off-season to try and reset.

If they go for it again with this group and miss—they will flood the trade deadline market with their own players and subsequently sink their trade value.

Reactions: Rebels57

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Just get rid of Sutter. Get a coach who actually utilizes players offensive strengths
That's the only option they have. Rebuilding or even retooling while they have those contracts just won't work

They won the division last year. It's worth seeing if this group can pull it together

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
MTL management must be happy to have that Flames 1st in 2025.

This really f***ed the team.

That's the only option they have. Rebuilding or even retooling while they have those contracts just won't work

They won the division last year. It's worth seeing if this group can pull it together

We have 3 contracts(Huberdeau, Kadri and Weegar), these players are not difference maker, they can just collect their paychecks and be happy. While the Flames rebuild.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Lindholm - I think he resigns next season with Calgary, likely around the 8M/ year mark.

Tanev - move him at the deadline to a contender for picks.

Hanifin - move him this summer if you get a good offer. He would get a decent return with his low caphit. I think his days as a Flame are numbered.

Toffoli - I think he walks for nothing next summer but he would be the first I trade from this list as he's having a career year and his value is sky high.

Zadorov - I would trade him this summer while his value is sky high with the great season he's been having this year. No promises he plays as good next season. He's shown that he can be a capable top 4 dman.

Kylington - see how he plays then decide whether to trade or resign him

Backlund - I think he goes to a contender next year.

I would also consider shopping Coleman and Andersson. Andersson would get a lot of interest. Coleman perhaps but I think the Flames would have to retain some of his salary. Tough to justify his cap hit for a 3rd liner.

Why would Lindholm sign in Calgary? The team is going to be horrible for awhile and Lindholm can go to greener pastures south of the order.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Missed opportunity. When Tkachuk and Gaudreau wanted out they could have got some great young players and picks. And then moved some of the other older guys for young players and picks.
Or... just wait to re sign these guys just to make sure that the team works. Going for it made sense but committing so early didn't. If the team was great I doubt they'd have trouble re signing them

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
The first rounder to the Habs just to take Monahan is a killer, along with obviously the Huberdeau and Kadri contracts.

Maybe they should just do a mega-rebuild while they have these albatross contracts. Let those two play through it. Trade those pending UFA players for picks, then with the freed up cap space take on some bad contracts (while they're rebuilding anyhow) and gain back some more draft picks that way. Draft defense and let them develop while you continue racking up high picks, then focus on the forwards.

Hell, maybe if the pressure to win is off Huberdeau will become good again as an added bonus.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Tyler Toffoli and Zadorov to Buffalo this summer for their 2023 1st and Payton Krebs. krebs in Buffalo just isn’t working out.

Flames getting a young centre like Krebs would allow them to trade Backlund or Lindholm right away.

If Im the Flames I for sure move Toffoli, Zadorov and Hanifin this summer as their trade values will never be higher. If the Flames start next season with all three of them still on their roster, then you know they don’t care about the teams future.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Tyler Toffoli and Zadorov to Buffalo this summer for their 2023 1st and Payton Krebs. krebs in Buffalo just isn’t working out.

Flames getting a young centre like Krebs would allow them to trade Backlund or Lindholm right away.

If Im the Flames I for sure move Toffoli, Zadorov and Hanifin this summer as their trade values will never be higher. If the Flames start next season with all three of them still on their roster, then you know they don’t care about the teams future.
There’s no chance Buffalo offers that.

Reactions: Grinner

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Lindholm
Hanafin
Backlund
Toffoli
Tanev

All UFA at the end of 23-24. They’d be wise to wheel and deal this off-season to try and reset.

If they go for it again with this group and miss—they will flood the trade deadline market with their own players and subsequently sink their trade value.

who is going to take those players and give up assets? I’d think thry resign Lindholm.

not many teams will have cap space fir next year I take on $4M contracts.

Calgary is against the cap and can’t field a standard roster.

Ledge And Dairy

who is going to take those players and give up assets? I’d think thry resign Lindholm.

Huh? Toronto literally added a guy signed to a 7.5M deal and another guy signed to a 4M deal at the deadline this year. It's called accrued cap space and retention

Calgary also only has to move out about 1.5M in net cap space to run a 22 man roster

Reactions: Nanuuk

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Huh? Toronto literally added a guy signed to a 7.5M deal and another guy signed to a 4M deal at the deadline this year. It's called accrued cap space and retention

Calgary also only has to move out about 1.5M in net cap space to run a 22 man roster
Deadline is far different with retentions and thrn coming to the team you can take on $5M in cap with a player with $1M in space.

far different at the start and retention costs far more

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

What? All of those players have huge value at their cap hits.

Toffoli, Hanifin, and Tanev I would sell if someone offers something good. Like them all but not much place for them after next year. Backlund and Lindholm just give them whatever they need to resign.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That's definitely a good point.

The Flames have a bunch of up and coming forwards that are just as good or better than any draft pick they'd receive outside of the top 6 or so. The idea that the Flames are just starving for prospects and should load up on mid and late round picks is ridiculous. From a 10+ pick, the Flames are not likely to get anyone better than Coronato, Zary, Pelletier, or Phillips, and those players will be several years behind in their development.

Top 5 picks...bring em on. Mid round pics? Not going to change much in the organization, and there's no rush to acquire them by this draft.
Since when Phillips is as good as the top 10 pick? Coronato, Zary and Pelt are Ok prospects but they are not blue chips neither

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Since when Phillips is as good as the top 10 pick? Coronato, Zary and Pelt are Ok prospects but they are not blue chips neither
Agreed on Phillips. Although I do think he wasn't given the opportunity his play earned.

On the other I suppose it depends what you mean by blue chip. If you're talking super high ceiling guys then I agree. If you're talking guys who will play then they are very much blue chip.

Wolf is probably our only prospect with star potential.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Agreed on Phillips. Although I do think he wasn't given the opportunity his play earned.

On the other I suppose it depends what you mean by blue chip. If you're talking super high ceiling guys then I agree. If you're talking guys who will play then they are very much blue chip.

Wolf is probably our only prospect with star potential.
I think they will be solid NHLers, but the guy was talking about top 6-10 picks

The Flames definitely need some top picks to rebuild soon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad