Seravalli: Changes are coming to the Calgary Flames this summer “Pre-eruption of volcano”

Grinner

May 31, 2022
1680036086026.png

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I just don't want more high quality players walking for nothing or being signed to stupid contracts turning picks into albatrosses. Lindholm, Backlund, Toffoli, Tanev, Hanifin, Zadorov and Kylington are all UFAs after next year. All should be traded or signed to VALUE contracts. Time to get serious about our chances of winning a cup (which are pretty close to zero).

We lost Giordano, Gaudreau, Iginla, Kipper, JBo and Phaneuf for nothing and turned a homerun Tkachuk trade into a bad deal with extensions. This can't keep happening.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Not surprising. The current GM's contract is expiring and there's been no talk of an extension.

Sutter becoming a cancer in the room, and just an over all incredibly toxic presence this entire year. Then you have a huge chunk of the team being free agents in 2024 and tons of rumors that key players from that group are very unhappy with Sutter.

Could end up being a very wild summer depending on whether Sutter's fired or not.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Weegar it sounded like teams were interested in and likely will be.

Huberdeau I highly doubt.

Maybe the flames should try a different coach first?
Yes there will be interest in Weegar. I'd just argue he's worth more as a TDL move at 3M than a off-season move at 6.25 long term.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So they basically have Backlund, Lindholm, Toffoli, Hanafin, Tanev, Zadorov, and Kylington on expiring contracts. They could get some things done in the off season if they want but for the full 'tank & rebuild' model it's not going to be easy to just dump like $30M in contracts in the summer. These are more guys you move at the trade deadline, but that's a bit complicated too as the division is pretty open and the Flames could easily bounce back like Winnipeg has this year. If 2021-22 was a season where everything on ice went right, and 2022-23 where everything went wrong, a middle range bounce back could put them back in the playoffs and teams don't typically sell from a playoff position.

I'm not saying they shouldn't but rather it's just a little more complicated and may not be that easy to do what the thread title suggest.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I just don't want more high quality players walking for nothing or being signed to stupid contracts turning picks into albatrosses. Lindholm, Backlund, Toffoli, Tanev, Hanifin, Zadorov and Kylington are all UFAs after next year. All should be traded or signed to VALUE contracts. Time to get serious about our chances of winning a cup (which are pretty close to zero).

We lost Giordano, Gaudreau, Iginla, Kipper, JBo and Phaneuf for nothing and turned a homerun Tkachuk trade into a bad deal with extensions. This can't keep happening.

I don't see one of Zad/Kylington having a future here. Ideally we trade Hanifin as well. Hopefully we can sign both Backlund and Tanev to value contracts. I think we should sell high on Toffoli. Tanev if he is willing to take a discount, I'd sign him to that a well. Oh but I do want to keep Lindholm long term.

Last edited:
Reactions: Double Dion

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't see one of Zad/Kylington having a future here. Ideally we trade Hanifin as well. Hopefully we can sign both Backlund and Tanev to value contracts. I think we should sell high on Toffoli. Tanev if he is willing to take a discount, I'd sign him to that a well.
Agreed mostly. I think you can move Hanifin and keep Z and Kylington. I'd move on from Tanev and Toffoli. I think it was a career year for Toffoli. I worry about Tanev's injuries. He can't shoot the puck at all anymore. Shoulders are done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad